A Clumsy Coffee Cup

The End And...

Boa woke early the next morning. She had to do filming for the music video today and then would be meeting a song writer for one of the songs on her English album. From the little that the company had revealed, it seemed that he or she wasn’t popular but they did apparently have a lot of potential thanks to experience in the music industry.

Dressed in a simple t-shirt with baggy pants, sneakers and a baseball cap, she followed behind a guard to a car parked outside of the hotel, discreetly getting in so she wouldn't draw too much attention.

The guard spotted her yawn on the way to the set. “Are you tired?”

“A little,” Boa admitted sheepishly. “I think I need something.”

“Like a coffee?” Boa nodded.

“If it’s possible please.” Taking the needs of his client into consideration the guard asked the driver to pull over at the nearest coffee shop.

Boa didn’t recognise the name of the shop that the car pulled up at. It wasn’t a large name franchise, that was for certain.

“Do you have money?” The guard checked with her. Boa took out her backpack, finding her wallet. She only had won.

“Here,” the guard gave her ten dollars. “It shouldn’t be a lot if I remember.”

“Thank you,” Boa slipped out of the car. The guard tried to come out but she gestured for him to wait.

“You need someone with you at all times.”

“But you can see me from the car window,” Boa explained. “Besides, it’s early.” She knew there was a term in English that meant the same thing in Korean which was to do with the time of day. Unfortunately she couldn’t remember it.

“Alright,” the guard leaned back in the seat. Boa couldn’t help but laugh when she heard the sound of the car’s window going down.

“HiwhatcanIgetforyou?” The girl at the checkout spoke so fast that Boa stood there dumbfounded.

“Uh e-excuse me, s-slower please.”

“Hi what can I get for you?” The girl repeated, there were spaces in her words this time.

“Umm, what is the coffee that is good?”

“All our coffees are good.” This didn’t help.

“What coffee is, better for you?”

“Like a low-fat sort of one? Or did you mean something with particular sugar or milk?” Boa wasn’t getting anywhere. “Wait, you are Asian aren’t you? Hold on I’ll get my friend, Pearl!” A short girl with bangs and mono eyelids came up to the counter. The girl started talking rapidly in Mandarin. Boa blinked while listening. She may understand it but she couldn’t make out some of the sounds.

“Flat white please?” She’d finally remembered what it was.

“Ok sure,” the other girl took, “and which size were you after?”

“The small one please.”

“Alright and did you want anything in particular in it?” Boa shook her head. “That comes to four fifty,” Boa looked through the money. She counted five dollars and handed it to the girl who gave her the change. Boa stood to the side, trying to ignore the people who were seated and enjoying their drinks. An Asian couple almost appeared to recognise her. But they made no sign that they confirmed that it was her; a kpop legend, a star in Korea, Japan and soon, hopefully, America.

“A small flat white?” The same girl called out. Boa took the cup, a sachet of sugar, thanked the girl and was on her way.

She stood on something stuck to the floor. Stumbling, she waved her arms, the lid not attached properly on top. The creamy liquid spilt on the floor, some onto a black leather shoe.

“Hey the coffee’s meant to go in your mouth not on the floor,” Boa gained her balance as someone spoke to her. She’d spilt half the cup in the incident.

The stranger suddenly took her elbow, their grip was strong. It forced her to look at the person. It was a guy, the voice had proven it. Low but with a way of talking and enunciation of words that wasn’t like those born in America. He was taller than her, a wide built frame. He worked out obviously from the developed biceps but he didn’t look like he over did it.

Then there was his face. For him his genetics gave him a defined chin, a nose that was neither too large nor too miniscule. A rather square jaw and from what she could see his forehead appeared to be in good proportion too. His light brown hair was kept at medium length and flicked out at the ends. But that wasn’t what caught her attention. It was his gaze. She’d been so used to being surrounded by pairs black or brown eyes that seeing his was so refreshing that it seemed silly. There was no way to tell what colour they really were. So in the end she decided they were aquamarine.

He realised he was still holding on to her elbow. He let go, and Boa stood straight. She looked down at his wet shoe.

“Sorry,” she managed to say as he bent down to dab it with the tea-towel that had been draped over his shoulder.

“It’s fine,” he assured her finishing. The origin of his accent made her curious. “Tell you what, I will make you another one. This time on the house, how does that sound?” He’d lost Boa at the end.

“You can have it for free,” Boa nodded but she wasn’t too sure whether he meant the number or the term where one is given something without needing to earn it.

“Thank you,” Boa left it at that as he went to the barista machine to quickly make another. When he was done he handed it to her. She hadn’t needed a new cup.

“Have a good day,” he smiled as he then went off to do whatever it was he had to do. Boa didn’t know what to say, something about him made her speechless. She just had no idea what exactly.

*****************************************************************************************************************

And I am starting to suffer from Stephanie Meyer syndrome. In case you’re wondering what the symptoms are it’s: when a male character is described in such a way they appear like a God and the use of big words to make it sound pretty.

Good thing Ang will be editing this. Maybe she can suggest a doctor LOL.- E_magine