Safety First- Choking

100% SUPER JUNIOR

“Everything You Need to Know About the World” is an hour-long show that airs every Monday to Friday on SBC. This show covers different topics such as world news and current trends in 15-minute sections. The following excerpt was taken from “Safety First”, the section that focuses on medical knowledge. This particular episode was aired on Tuesday, July 10 2012.


Host: Welcome back to “Everything You Need to Know About the World”. Recently, there has been a rise of patients being admitted to hospitals from suffocation, mainly from choking. To help decrease this rise, “Safety First” will teach you some basic first aid on how to manage choking. Please welcome our guest of the day, Dr. Park Jung Soo.

Dr. Park: Annyeonghaseyo! “bows”

Host: As we are focusing on choking today, can you please tell us a little bit about it?

Dr. Park: Choking, or airway obstruction, is when the airway is partly or completely blocked. The most common causes of choking are eating or drinking too quickly, not chewing food sufficiently, swallowing small bones and swallowing small objects.

Host: What are the signs and symptoms of choking?

Dr. Park: Signs and symptoms vary from person to person. To name a few, they include clutching the throat, having difficulty breathing, speaking or swallowing, face, neck, lips, ears and fingernails turning blue, collapsing or being unconscious.

Host: Now that we have outlined the basics of choking, let’s have a look at today’s scenario. “gestures to TV screen next to her”

http://chixdigit.buzznet.com/user/video/7745/kim-hee-chul-choking-rainbow/

Narration: Kim Heechul was on the bus with his friend. As he was in a rush and really hungry, Heechul started eating his mum’s homemade boiled eggs- whole. Suddenly, the bus came to an abrupt stop and Heechul choked on the egg.  However, his friend was too busy talking and didn’t notice that he was in trouble. Heechul struggled, trying to get the egg out. Finally, his friend noticed and called the ambulance for help. 

Host: Ahhh… a very common example of choking- rushing while eating and not chewing food thoroughly. Dr. Park, what first aid could Heechul’s friend have performed while they were waiting for the ambulance?

Dr. Park: First aid for managing choking is very simple. Firstly, the first-aider should encourage the casualty to relax and breathe deeply. Next, ask the casualty to cough and try to remove the object. If coughing does not remove the blockage, the following steps should be taken:

  1. Call 000 for an ambulance
  2. Give 5 back blows and checking if obstruction is relieved after each back blow.
  3. If unsuccessful, give 5 chest trusts and also checking if obstructions is relieved after each chest trust 
  4. If blockage does not clear after 5 chest s, continue alternating between 5 back blows and 5 chest trusts until medical aid arrives.

Host: How do we perform back blows on a casualty?

Dr. Park: To perform back blows, bend the casualty forward and use the heel of one hand to give a sharp blow in the middle of the back between the shoulder blades. “demonstrates on dummy”

Host: How about chest s?

Dr. Park: For chests trusts, place one hand in the middle of the casualty’s back for support and the heel of the other hand in the CPR compression position. s should be slower but sharper than CPR compressions. “demonstrates”

Host: Is the procedure the same for infants?

Dr. Park: The procedure for infants under the age of one is the same. However, chest s should be performed with two fingers only. Any foreign material in the mouth that comes loose should be removed with the little finger.

Host: How should the infant be placed?

Dr. Park: The infant’s head should be placed downwards on the first-aiders forearm, while supporting the head and shoulders with their hand. The infant’s mouth should be opened with the fingers.

Host: What do we do if the casualty becomes unconscious?

Dr. Park: The first and most important step is to call the ambulance. Next, remove any visible obstruction from the mouth and commence CPR.

Host: Thank you for teaching our viewers how to perform first aid for choking today.

Dr. Park: It was a pleasure.

Host: Dr. Park has recently released a book called “A Simple Guide to First Aid”. He will be signing copies at SM Books in Super Plaza. Hope to see you all there! Remember, safety is important, safety is everything, and safety is always first! See you tomorrow!


Guess this was more of a informative chapter right? Hope you enjoyed it!