Memory

Pieces of my heart

 

I can't believe tomorrow is Han Eul's first day of school. She already turned five years old. I picked out colorful ribbons for her hair and ironed her uniform neatly. Han Eul was extremely excited and couldn't sleep. I finally put her to bed and read her a bedtime story. Soon enough, she fell into a deep sleep, stirring as I her long, ebony hair. I quietly left the bedroom and closed the door shut.

 

“Tonight is going to be a long night.” I whispered to myself.

 

I sat down on my desk and worked on Han Eul's photo album. I cut, pasted, and decorated all of her photos in the album. There were so many pictures of her in Jun Pyo's mansion, at Lotte world with Woo Bin, playing with Joon, and with me. I used every single photo to put in her album, which I will give to her when she grows up. Around half-past two, I finished and closed the album book with happiness bursting in my heart. Life had finally been going smoothly for me and watching Han Eul grow made it all better. I started to clean up the messy glue and scraps of paper. Then I came across a photo that was lost in the pile of scraps.

 

“Another photo?” I flipped it to see the front. It was a picture of me and Yi Jeong together, our arms are around each other's shoulder. I smiled and reminisced the times when he was alive. I opened Han Eul's album and pasted the picture on. Then with a marker I wrote on the top: 'Mommy and Daddy will always love you'.

 

“There.” I said. I was finished for now, but there was still many photos to come. I got my camera ready to take a picture of Han Eul going to school. The photo album wasn't finished, but somehow with the picture of me and Yi Jeong made it all better.

 

Now it felt complete.

 

~

Nowadays I had been busying myself with work completely. I had been trying to find a way to convince Bom if we can go back to Korea, together. My heart is drawn back to my native country. The flashbacks of my childhood friends, scenes of places I've been to, and the mysterious girl who keeps appearing in my visions just makes me want to go back there. I feel like the only thing that is keeping me from regaining my memory entirely is staying here. I had to go back. So, I decided to confront Bom about this.

 

“You promised that you won't!” Bom exclaimed, looking very upset.

 

“I know! It's been three years since we've made that promise and I kept it.” I solemnly said.

 

“But we can't! We can't!” Her voice started to rise.

 

“Why can't we?” I narrowed my eyes. I resisted the urge to yell.

 

“I don't want to! I don't want go back there!” Bom yelled and then instinctively covered in surprise. I raised my eyebrow.

 

“Why not?” I asked. Something was suspicious.

 

“Because...” Bom started crying.  “What if you have a better life there?  What if you'll leave me, all alone?” She continued to cry.

 

“Why would you think that?” I told her softly.

 

“To be honest, I loved you.” She admitted. "For a long time."

 

I looked at her in shock.

 

“Do you love me?” She asked. I couldn't answer back. My mouth was frozen. Thoughts were swirling through my head.

 

After a few minutes of silence, she wiped her tears and looked at me.

 

“I knew it.” She smiled bitterly.

 

....3

 

From that day on, vivid dreams were haunting me every night. I would wake up in a flash, panting and sweating. Then Bom would wake up and comfort me while I lay my head on her lap. She doesn't say much after confessing to me the other day. Last night I had dreams of wine bottles shattering, bright lights in the dark and voices.

 

“Yi Jeong-ah...” The voice was low and husky. I saw a wine bottle fall and shatter into a million pieces.

 

“Yi Jeong-Oppa!” The voice was high-pitched and flirty. It was echoed into the darkness.

 

“So Yi Jeong!” The voice sounded stern, as it was giving a warning. It rang in my ears.

 

“Yi Jeong sunbae...” This voice was soft and angelic as it whispered in my ears. Suddenly, lights flashed before my eyes as I go through the story of my life all over again in a split second. Then I woke up, breathing heavily.

 

“Are you okay?” Bom woke up as well.

 

“Yeah, yeah.” I could her my voice tremble. “I'm going to get some water.” She nods as I leave the room to go to the kitchen. I pour myself a cup of water and drank it all in one gulp. I then look at the reflection of myself on the shiny kitchen counter. I felt my hands shake as I looked at myself. I look different now. The shaggy haired, baggy clothed me isn't there anymore. Instead, a man with a neat haircut, wearing a fine suit with a smirk on his face was there. I think I know who I am now.

 

“My name is So Yi Jeong.”

 

Authors Note: Han Eul is five years old! Isn't she cute, hehe? Kinda looks like Ga Eul in this picture? ^^ keke. Anyways, I know the chapter is short. I think this story is going to be shorter than I had expected. Haha don't worry, the story had just started now! We have lots of chapters to go! The next chapter is going to be really interesting! Yi Jeong knows his true identity. What is he going to do with Bom? Will he meet Ga Eul? Does he love Bom, or Ga Eul? We don't know that for sure.. yet. Will this story end in a tragedy? Find out soon! Comment and subscribe! ^^