The Future

Pieces of my heart

 

Today is the last day of rehab. Finally, after two months I left the hospital with a new start. Although I still did not get all my memories back, I decided to start a brand new life and leave my past behind.

 

After being almost a year since I had been in the hospital and no one came to look for me. I figured there was nobody looking for me back at home. So I shrugged it off. But in the back of my mind, I think there is someone that is. My memories are getting clearer and clearer everyday. Sometimes, I would have frequent visions about my childhood. There I was, playing ball with three other kids in a backyard, where the ground was covered in autumn leaves. I remember getting hit in the face with a baseball by a curly-haired kid—the name I cannot recall. The other kids came to the rescue, giving me a tissue for my bloody nose.

 

I met a girl named Bom, a few months ago in the hospital. She was trapped under a large building when they found her. She too, can't remember anything. We became really good friends, because we were the only koreans in the building.

 

“I can't remember anything. Not my family, friends, or even where I came from.” She sadly sighed. “At least you remember something. I feel like my past was erased from my mind completely.”

 

“It's okay.” I patted her shoulder, “You'll remember someday.” I gave a deep sigh.

 

“What's wrong?” Bom asked. I just shrugged.

 

“I wonder what kind of person I was.” I showed her my ring. “Why do you think I have this? Do you think I'm married with kids back home?”

 

“No, no!” Bom quickly said. I stared at her in confusion.

 

“I mean, you look so young. How could you possibly been married with kids? It's probably a purity ring or something.”

 

“Yeah, probably.” But something was bothering me.

 

“Let's forget about the past! Let's think about the future!”

 

“What future? I have no money or identity.” She suddenly grabbed my hand.

 

“We can do it. Together.” She smiled brightly at me.

 

“Together...” I whispered.

~

 

I dream about it every night. Yi Jeong takes me by the hand, and guides me to a path that is brightened by candles, twinkling lights and red rose petals. He then kneels in front of me and pulls out a ring and says, “Will you marry me?” I nod, blinking back tears. Then as he puts the ring on my finger, he disappears. I yell his name into the darkness, but I couldn't hear anything else but my own echo. And then I wake up. Every. Single. Night.

 

I check the time. 1:37 A.M. I groan and fall back in bed. I hadn't been getting enough sleep because of the baby and work. But since I was already awake, I get out of bed to check my baby girl. There she was sound asleep, all safe and sound for the first time in three weeks.

 

“Daddy must be looking at you from above.” I whispered. “He and I love you so much.” I touched her little delicate hand and she stirred in her sleep. I smiled and climbed back into bed. As soon as I was about to fall asleep, Han Eul started to cry. Oh dear...

 

 

Author's Note: I edited it a little, and added one last sentence (: LOLOL I'll try to update. So sorry!