Of Beasts and Beauties

Not In Front of You

In the last room of the narrow hallway on the second floor is the spare room. It used to be reserved for guests to spend the night, but is now used for storing extra items. Furniture, toys, spare clothes in a large cabinet, and anything else that didn't need to be used immediately was kept there. This includes the bedtime stories that Jongup was putting away. While everyone was saying their goodbyes a couple of kids had pulled him aside to play with them. They drew on his face and all over his arms and neck, which he didn't mind. After taking about half an hour to wash the marker off- thank gosh it wasn't permanent marker- the kids all gathered around him, asking him to dance. What the heck, he thought, smiling as they led him to the backyard. He likes to dance, and even more so when he hears the gasps and the oohs and aahs of the kids as he spun (that was his favorite move), twisted, and flipped his body. Another half hour later, he was tired and slightly sweaty. The kids cheered loud and hard for him, and he smiled again. It was totally worth it. At that moment Auntie came out to tell the kids to get ready for bed. They all group hugged Jongup-if he wasn't so strong and sturdy he would've collapsed under them all- before dashing inside. 

"Thank you for always putting a smile on their faces," she told him. "It's nothing," he answered, still smiling. "You should shower before you go, it's the least I can do for you." Before he could say anything else she had pulled him inside and pushed him into an empty bathroom. "I'll let the kids know you're using the shower, and I'll bring you your spare set of clothes." They all had a least one extra set of clothes at the orphanage. There was no telling what could happen. He thanked her before closing the door and stripping, eagerly stepping into the warm stream of water.

"What the hell you do, geudaero dollyeo jul geoya, oh woah~" he sang, scrubbing himself clean. He quickly stops, remembering what the hyungs had told him. We're not supposed to sing in public, right. He sighed. He was just too excited about their second album coming out under the name B.A.P. Even though they had all agreed not to disclose their identities, he did want to be able to brag to his parents and brothers about it. And to Ji Dae too, he thought hopefully, because they all know she's a big fan of B.A.P. As he dried himself he heard a knock on the door. "I'll leave your clothes out here Jongup." "Ok, thanks Auntie!" He waited a few moments before opening the door just enough to grab the clothes before quickly closing it again. With a sigh of relief he put on the clean clothes, left the dirty clothes in the laundry basket, and went to get his bag.

He entered the boys' bedroom to find that they were still too energized to settle into bed. Where does all this energy come from? he wondered. They asked him to read them a bedtime story since they couldn't sleep and Ji Dae went out to buy detergent. He looked at the clock. It read 8:50. He lives close by, so one story wouldn't hurt, he reasoned. So he went to the spare room, found a book of fairytale stories (with his favorite, Beauty and the Beast) and was only through the first half of the story when the boys groaned and said that it just wasn't working. He frowned a little at that. It's Beauty and the Beast! Dejected, he took the book in his hands and returned to the spare room, determined to find the most boring book he could so that he could bore them to sleep.

 

Aha! He gave a little shout of triumph. It took a few minutes, but he finally found one that could work. "To Kill a Mockingbird" read the title on the front. Jongup remembers having to read it in school last year. He didn't like it very much. With a light spring in his step he walks down the hallway and is about to enter the boys' room when he hears something new.

Something different.

He peaked inside, and his eyes widened a little in surprise. Ji Dae? She's singing! He was excited to finally be able to hear her sing, that is until he realized something was off. Why does she sound so sad? The lyrics are from a beautiful love song, and yet..

She stopped all of a sudden, and he retreated silently back down the hallway and into the spare room. He felt as if he had walked in on a personal part of her life. Dropping himself down on the floor, he couldn't help but wonder about what he had just seen and heard. If she doesn't like to sing, then why did it sound so natural coming from her? Is it because it makes her sad that she doesn't want to sing? How can singing make you sad? There were too many questions in his head, and he felt a headache start to come. Jongup shook his head and got up. He'll sort this out slowly at home. He heard the faint click of the front door close and lock. He quietly went back into the boys' room, grabbed his bag, and closed the door, not wanting to wake anyone up. He looked down at his hand and realized he still was still holding the boring book. With a shrug, he fit it snugly between his textbook and notebook, zipped up the bag, and slung it over his shoulder. Since he couldn't lock the front door behind him, he'd have to use a different exit. 

He went into the bathroom where he had taken his shower. The window there opened fully, and he was just able to squeeze through to the outside and stand on the slanted roof. He slowly closed the window behind him and took a few deep breaths, waiting for his eyes to adjust to the darkness. It's been a while since he's done this. In one fluid motion he hopped forward and took small, quick steps down the slope. Quickly, he turned himself over to face the roof as the shingles disappeared from under his feet. He let himself drop, his hands out in anticipation. They grab hold of the grooves left by shingles that had fallen away and had remained unreplaced. He swung his body forward so that his legs could wrap around the pillar directly underneath, supporting the roof and connecting it to the front deck. With his legs secured on the sides of the pillar he wiggled himself down until his hands are also clutching the pillar, and he shimmied the rest of the way to the deck, landing with a soft thud. 

Feeling re-energized, he stood up and stretched lightly before jogging down the beaten path home. A certain someone needed to know what had happened tonight.

 

*Message*: So, hands up! Who didn't realize I left out Jongup's exit in chapter 3? Haha, don't be embarassed, I really am curious. If you noticed it, then good for you! That's pretty amazing haha. Actually, I didn't even realize I left out Jongup until I was doing the dishes an hour after putting up the chapter. I froze as it hit me and went "...oh my goodness what did I do?!" So I took it as an opportunity to turn things around hehe, pretty slick huh? =P Though I wanted it to be another character *cough cough, pretty obvious who it was supposed to be* he'll have his moment with her eventually. Actually, at this point I think they all will. I love each member individually, with Jongup as my ultimate bias, so I definitely want them each to shine through. 

For those of you who like "To Kill a Mocking Bird" don't worry. I'm not doing this to bash the book. It just so happens many high schoolers find it dull the first time around. That's me included, but after I went back to it I quite enjoyed it =)

But anyways, my shoulders are hurting, so I'll stop there for now. Remember, subscribers make me squeal, and comments make me clap like a trained sea lion :D Bye bye for now!