Of Hopes and Dreams

Not In Front of You

After Youngjae leaves you start to pack your bag. You're checking its contents, making sure you didn't leave anything behind, when you feel a tug on the hem of your shirt. Looking down, you see the boy who was stuffing his face with Zelo only a few hours ago. The memory brings a smile to your lips. "What is it?" He bites his lip. "We can't sleep." You lift him up in your arms and carry him up the steps to his room. "How about I read a bedtime story?" you suggest. He shakes his head. "Doesn't work." Doesn't work? "Can you..sing for us?" he asks. You stop at the top of the stairs. "Please?" He looks at you with those sweet eyes that only a child could have. You look around you. It's only me and the kids here..no one's going to hear. If it's for the kids, one little song won't hurt. You'll just sing an easy song, like Twinkle Twinkle Little Star or something. You nod to the boy in your arms and he leans his head on your shoulder, smiling. "Everyone misses your singing you know. You used to sing once in a while, but now you don't at all." He doesn't say anything else, and you're grateful for it. No one, except Auntie, knows why you suddenly stopped singing. Auntie tells them not to ask you about it. 

Of course, the guys have wondered why you don't sing too. All these girls at school go around singing in hopes of becoming famous singers or kpop stars. The tentative conclusion is that you're just not like most girls, having grown up with different responsibilities. That doesn't mean they haven't tried to coax a line or two out of you though.

Sighing, you reach the small bedroom where he sleeps with four other boys. Two are playing with small robot figurines, making laser sound effects as they swoop around each other. Another was reading an old, faded copy of Shounen Jump, and the last one was no where to be found. "I hear you guys can't fall asleep," you say, setting down the boy on the nearest bed. Suddenly a small figure launched itself from under the bed and, upon stopping right beside you, shouted "boo!" It takes you a moment to realize that it's not some sort of bed monster before you smile down at the boy. "There you are! You're so sneaky, aren't you?" You bend down to tickle him. He squirms before rolling away to sit on the bed. Suddenly the room goes quiet and you find them all looking at you. You shuffle your feet a little nervously. "She's gonna sing for us!" says the boy who brought you here. The eldest of the boys smiles, clapping his hands a little. "It's been so long, I barely remember what you sound like Ji Dae-ah." You look down at the floor. "I'm sorry Mi Reok. Well, you guys get in bed and I'll sing you Twinkle Twinkle Little Star ok?" The little ones get under the covers. There are three small  beds in the room, with two little ones in each one, and the eldest one gets a bed to himself. It was just barely big enough for him. He sits on the bed but shakes his head. "No, not something like that. There was a song that you started to sing, but you never finished. I want to hear the rest of it." The kids were looking at between the two of you curiously now. 

Your eyes grow a little wider. He wants you to sing that song? You wet your lips. "I- I can't. I'll sing anything else." You were almost pleading with him, but you couldn't break down in front of the kids. You wouldn't. He cocked his head to the side. "Please, Ji Dae-ah? It sounds so nice when you sing it." The other kids were asking you to sing it now too, they're so curious. You take a deep breath. "Fine, but just the beginning ok? Up to the part where I left off." "You remember where you left off?" Mi Reok asked, a little surprised. You nodded. How could you ever forget that day? You never will. "Get settled in bed everyone." This time they all lie still under the covers. No sounds could be heard except for the light breathing and the beating of your heart. They wait as your mind grasps at the first words.

It doesn't matter if I'm lonely

Whenever I think of you, a smile spreads across my face

Your voice is coming out a little rough. You lightly clear you throat and continue, focusing hard to recall the next words.

It doesn't matter if I'm tired

Whenever you are happy, my heart is filled with love

The words are coming effortlessly to you, as if you hadn't stopped singing this song two years ago.

Today, I might live in a harsh world again

Even if I'm tired, when I close my eyes, I only see your image 

Your voice trembles slightly. You lean against the wall for support as you continue.

The dreams that are still ringing in my ears

Are leaving my side towards you

 

 

"...Why'd you stop?" 

You look up at the sound of Mi Reok's voice. The others are asleep, but he's still half-awake. You collect your voice before answering, "Because that's where I left off, silly." Thank goodness your voice comes out stronger than you felt. He frowned slightly with his eyes still closed. "No, you sang a bit more than that. I'm sure of it." You sigh quietly and make your way over to him. "I can't remember the rest of the lyrics right now. Sorry Mi Reokkie." You kiss him on the forehead. He probably knows you're not telling the truth, but he's satisfied for tonight. You make your way out of the bedroom, closing the door softly behind you. As you head back towards the stairs you pass by a young girl sitting on the top step. She looks at you sleepily, but gets up and stumbles a little towards you. "Was that you singing?" Hesitantly, you nodded. She hugs your waist and closes her eyes. "I misssed your singing too. Everyone who's heard it does." You forgot that the walls are quite thin, so almost all of the kids had heard you, probably. You pat her head and tell her to go back to bed. She rubs her eyes and looks up at you. "Will you sing again?" she asks. You're not sure what to say, so you just smile and tell her you have to go. She unwilingly pulls herself away from you and heads into her room. Once you hear the door close you descend the stairs, grab your bag, and head out, locking the door behind you. 

 

*Message*: Hello *waves* So this chapter turned out quite long..I didn't realize just how much I wrote until I scrolled aaaaall the way up and aaaaall the way back down again, so I split it into two parts xD I wonder how many of you have caught my little (or not so little) inconsistency? Oh well, we shall find out in the next chapter~ kekeke. For those who are wondering, the lyrics are from the song "Hope is a Dream that Never Sleeps", sung by Super Junior's Kyuhyun <3 Admittedly, this was not the first song I thought of when I decided I wanted lyrics in here, but when I listened to it again I knew it just had to be the one! Ideas came flooding to me, and so here we are ^__^

Sorry about how some of the font is super tiny. I tried to fix it but it's being quite stubborn. Also I'm really tired, so I'll try again later, gomen! >__< 

Anyways, this message is getting long, so I'll continue it in part 2 mk? Bye bye for now =)