Deception Within

The Other Side

"Do you understand what my family can do to yours if you don't go through with this deal?" He clasped his hands together in his lap as he stared his new associate down. "I don't have time to wait for you to decide between right or wrong. I only have time for you to do what you've been told to do."

"Hyung, you can't do this to me. My appa would lose everything he's worked for, and I don't want to lose my friends either."

"YunHo-ah, you're family has been serving the Kim family for a while. JaeJoong's appa and your appa have been friends since they were little. History will repeat itself with you and JaeJoong. When the two of you get older, you'll become his lawyer and he'll have complete control over your business. That's how powerful his family is." He sighed. "Now, here I am offering your family an opportunity of a lifetime. A chance to take the Kim family down if you team up with us, but all of you constantly refuse."

"MinKyoo, you grew up with JaeJoong too. The Kim's aren't bad people, so why do the Joo's hate them so much?"

"Tradition. Our families always compete for the Chairman position... and the Kim's always win, so I'm sure you can understand my families bitterness towards them." MinKyoo stood and walked from behind his desk to sit on the edge of it. "I've watched my appa have two heart attacks due to our battles against the Kim's, and I don't want to see him have another." He picked a small stack of papers up off of the table and handed them to YunHo. "These are the forms you need to have your appa sign. The Kim's will only betray you in the end."

YunHo flipped through the forms, his eyebrows furrowing as his eyes scanned over the contents. "You're asking me to betray my friend and sign my appa's law firm over to you, so that you have control over the funds."

"Exactly."

"That would mean my appa would no longer be the Kim's lawyer. Instead he'd be the Joo's lawyer."

"Once again... exactly," was MinKyoo's reply as he watched him calmly. "I want to take everything from JaeJoong. I want him to know what it feels like to lose."

Frowning, YunHo tossed the papers back on the desk and stood. "You're going to have to find a way to destroy my family then, because the Jung's made a vow to never betray the Kim's." He turned and headed for the door, stopping when he heard MinKyoo say...

"You'll come running back to me. I can guarantee you that. We're not asking for your cooperation anymore."

Releasing a deep breath, YunHo left the room.

MinKyoo smiled and mumbled, "They always do come running back."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Aresseo, I'm going to head home you guys. See you later," InSu said while waving as he left the gym. "Don't have too much fun without me."

Boa and JaeJoong said their goodbyes to him and everyone else that was leaving before getting back to work.

"Well, it looks like it's only the two of us. I guess we should put in one more hour and then head home," JaeJoong said while working on a sign and looking over at her.

Boa held up her fist and smiled. "Fighting!

JaeJoong smiled and nodded. "Fighting."

They worked diligently for a good length of time until Boa decided to break the silence. "Oppa? Don't you think it's weird that YunHo hasn't been around much?"

"Are you missing him," JaeJoong teased as he continued to work. 

Cheeks reddening, she balled up a piece of paper and threw it at him. "Aniyo! It's not that!" She sighed. "I'm just concerned. He's not picking up his phone or anything, and he's been missing days at school. He was really distant and in a hurry when he came by to see me earlier too. I wanted to go by his house, but I didn't know if I should or not. I don't want to be bothersome or seem like a burden."

He stopped working and turned towards her. "If you're so concerned about him why not just go by his place anyway? I don't think he'd mind."

"... but aren't you concerned too? He's one of your best friends."

JaeJoong smiled. "Ne, but he can handle himself too. If he needs my help he'll come to his hyung."

"That's true." Boa sighed and walked over to him. "That's a major thing bothering me. You know, the fact that I can't contact him and everything, but there's something else bothering me too." She hopped up to sit on the desk next to JaeJoong.

A look of concern actually washed over his features. "Is it about, ChinSun? You don't have to worry about her we won't let her do anything to you."

"Aniyo, but since you brought that up... should you guys really be doing that for me? It's not fair to everyone else. Not that I'm not grateful for everything you guys have done, but how can I conquer my fears if I'm not facing them myself."

He leaned his side against the table, facing her. "You're the leaders girlfriend. It's our job to protect you too."

Boa nibbled on her bottom lip. "YunHo's not the leader. You are."

JaeJoong's eyes widened right after the words had slipped out of , confirming her assumption. 

"I knew it," Boa said on a whisper as she watched him.

He sighed and closed his eyes briefly before opening them and turning to walk away from her. 

"Oppa, wait!" She hopped off of the table and ran after him. She grabbed his hand, stopping him. "Why would you hide that from everyone?"

Removing his hand from her grasp, he released a deep breath. "I requested that my appa keep my identity a secret, because I have no intention of inheriting his business. And if word got out that I was..."

"... that you were?"

"... the Chairman's son. If word got out about that... people would expect more of me than I could give. People expect me to be like my appa, and I can't... I could never be like him." The last part of the sentence was laced with venom. 

"You're.... the Chairman's son? The one who established the Subordinate program?"

He turned towards her, his eyes on the floor. "Ne. I did it for HyoJoo. She used to have this fear that she'd never be successful, and she would never believe me when I'd tell her that she would. So, I managed to persuade my appa into letting me come up with a program to help the less fortunate. Only the 3rd years that graduated last year know that I came up with the idea. Everyone else thinks that YunHo had something to do with it, because he's the first Subordinate, but no one's really sure."

"I'm still having a hard time understanding why you would keep that from everyone, Oppa." 

Raising his eyes to meet hers, he replied with, "I want people to like me for who I am and not because of my title. Even if more people hate me than like me I'll be okay with it. I don't want to be like my appa and use my position to get the things that I want. I want to earn the things that I want." 

"Oppa..."

"Don't get me wrong. When I was younger I used to be a big brat. Always complaining about not having this and that. But, HyoJoo, showed me what life was like from her side and it made me want to work harder. That's why I created the Subordinate program. I wanted to give people who didn't have the chance to be someone important an opportunity."

"Why? Because you felt bad for us?"

JaeJoong sighed and ran his fingers through his hair. "Honestly?"

"Honestly."

"Aniyo. I envied you..."

Boa's eyes widened. "Envied us? Why? Why would you envy us when you had everything?"

"You don't know how dirty the political/high class world is. Most of you are naive to the darkness in my world. People are expendable. When... my umma passed... my appa continued with his business and it was as if he didn't care... I...," his eyes saddened. "You know what it's like, right? To lose someone extremely important to you, I mean. Not being able to sleep. Feeling guilty. Not being able to focus... it's..."

She smiled sadly and lifted her hand to point to where his heart was. "Feeling empty... right there. Ne. I know the feeling all too well."

He gently grasped the finger that was poking him in the chest. "Aniyo. Not just feeling empty. Feeling nothing at all."

Linking her fingers with his, she whispered, "Is that why you pretend to be so cold? Because you don't want to feel the pain?" 

"I'm not..."

She smiled softly. "Aniyo. I know you well enough now to know when you're faking or pretending." 

"We've only known each other for a couple months, and I'm not that predictable," he replied with a frown. 

Boa removed her hand from his and started to pack up her bag in an attempt to hide her smile and blush. "Did it ever occur to you, Oppa... that just maybe... no one tried to figure you out?"

With wide eyes JaeJoong lowered his hand to his side. 

'Mainhe, Oppa. Mainhe for not living up to your expectations... but YunHo... isn't the one I like. You were right all along. My love for him was only superficial... and my heart... belongs to someone else...'

All he did was watch as she made her way to the front exit of the gym.

"Don't stay too late, Oppa," she said as she smiled and waved to him over her shoulder. "See you tomorrow. And don't worry. Your secret is safe with me." As she made her way out of the school and home, she smiled to herself. 'I really did misjudge you, Oppa. Today... I'm gonna start to live for someone new... someone I want to live to see smile...'

JaeJoong stared at the door she'd walked out of and he couldn't figure out... why his heart was beating so fast...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"YooChun, why did you...," he didn't even have a chance to react before YooChun's boot connected with his jaw. "What... what the hell," he yelled while stumbling and holding his jaw.

"I followed you today. You went to that bastard MinKyoo's house." Glaring at YunHo, he continued, "Give me one good reason why you should be at that bastards house, and I just... just... might not kick your ."

YunHo scoffed and spit a little bit of blood over to the side. "You really are nosy. Hasty too."

"Answer me," YooChun growled. 

"Whatever I decide to do... what can a delinquent like you do," YunHo snapped. "Ever since JaeJoong saved your life you've been following him around like a loyal dog..."

YooChun's eyes widened.

"Do you honestly believe that he won't get tired of you? He always says that he's not going to be like his appa, but he's just like him. I'm tired of following him. I want to have the god damned chance to lead."

"You think MinKyoo's going to be able to give you any better," YooChun yelled. "He's going to treat your family worse. I never thought I'd see the day when you were blinded by greed." He snorted. "The wonderful saint, YunHo. Always the best at everything but that's still not enough for you."

"You seem to forget... whose place I'm taking at the moment." YunHo spit out a little bit more blood and approached YooChun. "I've watched my appa serve JaeJoong's for years. That's not exactly the future I was looking forward to."

"Then you've already made your decision...," was YooChun's reply.

YunHo walked past him. "I'm labeled number one... and yet... everything always ends up revolving around him. I'm also tired... of borrowing his title."

YooChun's fists clenched and he lowered his head. "If you choose to betray us... don't ever think of coming back."

"YooChun...," he swung around and delivered a swift, hard kick to YooChun's back causing him to cry out in pain and drop to his  hands and knees. "... you should always remember who your superior's are." 

Wincing, YooChun managed to get out... "... you've known him the longest. Think about what it will do to him."

"I'm done considering JaeJoong's feelings," ... and with that YunHo turned and made his way back to his car. 

He was leaning against the wall by the rear entrance of the gym...

"... that you were?"

"... the Chairman's son. If word got out about that... people would expect more of me than I could give. People expect me to be like my appa, and I can't... I could never be like him." The last part of the sentence was laced with venom. 

"You're.... the Chairman's son? The one who established the Subordinate program?"

"Ne. I did it for HyoJoo. She used to have this fear that she'd never be successful, and she would never believe me when I'd tell her that she would. So, I managed to persuade my appa into letting me come up with a program to help the less fortunate. Only the 3rd years that graduated last year know that I came up with the idea. Everyone else thinks that YunHo had something to do with it, because he's the first Subordinate, but no one's really sure..."

Frowning, Yunho started his car and began to drive. 'I have to do this... or else I'll never be able to say I really did anything for you. Mainhe, hyung. I hope that soon you will understand.'

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

(A/N): Buahahahahahahahahahaha. I provide you with an update! >:D