First Time Subordinate

The Other Side

Her feet were light against the marble floor as she made her way through the crowds of students to her next class. She couldn't help but be a little bit excited about today, because today was the first day of the new school year. The day when the most popular students at the school picked their subordinates for the year. They were called Mujigae High's Elite Five, because they had the highest grades in school. When you become a subordinate you gain massive extra credit, scholarships, and you have a better chance of getting into a University then most regular students.

This was what she needed, and it helped that the subordinates were chosen by their grades. The only problem was that there were so many students at the school for them to choose from, and only five out of at least six hundred would get this golden opportunity. Those that are chosen are called to the office during school and are assigned to their Elites class which contains only the other five Elites. During this time, they are to do whatever their Elite asks of them no matter the circumstances.

… but the best part…

She entered her class and sat down at her desk. Staring out of the window, a small smile touched her lips.

… the best part was that once you became a subordinate, you became just as untouchable as they were… and then there was him. The object of her affection for many years. If she was chosen she would get to be near the first and only person she'd loved for years. She would be able to be near her Number One's side for a whole year. It had taken her a long time to gain the grades necessary to be even considered as a subordinate, and she wasn't going to let anyone take this opportunity away from her.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Yah, what's your name?"

She couldn't believe it. The object of her affections was talking to her. "Um… uh…," at a loss for words she lowered her head, cheeks tinted, when the other girls began to chuckle.

"Can't even remember her own name," one of them scolded.

"Was she really picked as a candidate," another asked while snickering.

"Do you wanna die," he snapped, and they all silenced themselves. "Now, what's your name?"

Hesitantly, she looked up and her blush deepened when she saw that he was smiling at her. "My names… Kwon… Boa…"

"Kwon Boa," he repeated. "Very simple but unique." He looked as though he was going to say something else until the other Elites entered led by another male.

"Sorry to keep you guys waiting, I'm Park YooChun," the other male said and bowed.

The only two female Elites smiled and bowed at the same time.

"I'm Ayumi Hamasaki," the adorable one stated and held up a piece sign.

"… and I'm Bae SeulGi," the more mature looking one said.

YunHo looked perplexed as he searched the area behind them. "Yah, where's JaeJoong?"

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Frustrated, Boa made her way to the roof of the school in search of her Elite. Even after all of her hard work she still wasn't able to receive the opportunity to work under YunHo. Instead, she was assigned to Kim JaeJoong who just so happened to be the coldest person in the whole school.

'Do you think you could go and find Jae for us? It would also give you guys some privacy to get to know each other,' YunHo had asked with his usually charming smile.

She cursed under her breath as she reached the door to the roof. Why did he have to be so handsome and charming? As she was about to open the door she paused when she heard voices. Cracking the door open slowly, she listened in.

"I know that you don't date, but I just wanted to give you this letter." A regular female student bowed and held out a letter. "Please accept it."

"Aniyo." He brushed his hair out of his eyes, and sighed. "If you know I don't date, why bother?" Boa recognized the uniform. This guy was obviously an Elite, and if that was the case then it could be no one else but Kim JaeJoong.

Opening the door wider, she tried to get a better view.

The girl's body straightened as she stared at him perplexed, but her expression soon changed when she saw that he was smirking. "You think this is funny? It took me a lot of time to build up the courage to approach you, and you… you're making fun of me?" There was a short pause, until she finally added, "Do you think you're better then the other students, because you're and Elite?"

His smirk vanished and he released a heavy sigh "Aniyo, I just think you're really pathetic right now." It apparently didn't surprise him when her perplexed expression turned into something similar to anger. Instead, what seemed to surprise him was the slap he received, the force of it causing his head to turn just the slightest bit.

"I didn't want to believe them at first, but they were right. You're the coldest person at this school. No wonder YunHo-ssi's the most popular one." Now the girl was the one smiling. "Admit it; you live in his shadow hoping that one day you'll be able to fill his shoes, but you and I both know that'll never happen."

"You talk about him as if you're really close to him," he stated simply as he placed his hand on his cheek. "He usually tells us when he's interested in someone or has a new friend, but I've never seen you around him before. Could it be that you're just using me to get closer to him?"

Her face paled. "Y-yah, how dare you accuse me of such a thing? Who do you think you are? For all I know you could be in love with him yourself."

Removing his other hand from his pocket, he took a step towards her and placed his finger under her chin. "I'll tell you what? If you do me a little favor, then maybe, just maybe, I'll put in a good word for you. I bet you're good too."

The girl paused almost as if she was contemplating the idea. "I…"

"Aish," he said on a laugh. "You're actually considering what I just said? Not only are you pathetic but desperate too."

Boa couldn't believe what she was seeing. How could this guy be so mean to a girl?

Tears weld up in the girl's eyes as she stormed off of the roof right passed Boa. Something inside of Boa wanted to call out to her, but her body wouldn't move and she found herself glaring at her 'supposed' Elite. Flinching when the door slammed shut behind her, she made her way over to him.

"I thought I said I wasn't…," he began as he swung around to face her, but stopped himself mid-sentence. "Eh?"

Boa swallowed her pride and bowed. "I'm your new subordinate, Kwon Boa; it's nice to finally meet you face to face." When she straightened she saw that his eyes had softened. And she couldn't quite place her finger on it, but was that sadness in his eyes.

"Mainhe… I thought you were somebody else." Swallowing, he his lips while turning his attention to the baseball field below them. It didn't take him long to figure out that she had probably heard the whole conversation between him and that girl.

She searched her mind for something to say. Anything to ease the tension, but all that came out was, "How could you act like that towards someone?" So much for easing the tension. "How can you play with some ones' feelings like that?"

His expression was blank, but his voice was softer and husky when he spoke, "Play with their feelings?" He smiled then, softly, sadly. "What about mine?"

All she could do was stare at him. She realized that this was the first time that she had actually gotten a good look at him, and she had to admit that he was strikingly handsome. No, not handsome, gorgeous.

"There you guys are. What's taking you two so long," someone asked, pulling her from her thoughts.

Suddenly, they both looked towards the door that led back down to the classrooms.

"SeulGi-ah, is something wrong," JaeJoong asked as he walked over to her.

"Well, aniyo, we were just wondering what was taking you guys so long." Her eyes moved from JaeJoong to Boa, and then back to JaeJoong again. "Who was that girl that I saw running down the stairs? Did something happen?"

"Letter," and that was all he needed to say.

SeulGi groaned. "Aish, again? I swear, he should just quit school and become a pimp."

Wrapping his arm around SeulGi's shoulders, JaeJoong chuckled. "Chincha. Save us all the trouble."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

As Boa watched them chat about YunHo's exploits all she could think about were the ten words that kept running through her mind. This is going to be more then I bargained for.

It was strange, Boa thought, as she watched them. The five most achieved students in school weren't just friends, but they were very much like a family. She didn't know much about the others, because the only person she had ever been interested in was YunHo. But as she watched him, her curiosity rose dramatically.

"What about my feelings?"

She still didn't understand what he had meant by that, but there was one thing she was certain of and that was that he wasn't as cold as people made him out to be.

"You know, you won't make friends by staying over here by yourself."

She looked up at him, surprised. He moves fast. "Huh?"

He sighed, closing his eyes for a moment, and opened them to gaze down at her. "You should be mingling with everyone. I mean, aren't they your friends," he said gesturing to the other subordinates.

Smiling up at him sadly, she replied, "I don't really have any friends, so no."

"Chincha? How come?"

She almost laughed at how surprised he looked. "Pretty much everyone at this school thinks I'm stuck up or a complete . How's that for an explanation?"

He sat down next to her and crossed his legs, leaning to the side slightly to rest his elbow on the back of the chair. "You should just let them think what they want to, because a person shouldn't have to change themselves to make others happy," he said while watching the others play cards.

"Isn't that what you did, though," she blurted out, looking at him.

When he stared at her, but didn't respond, she continued...

"You pretend to be the bad guy when you're really not, don't you? That girl on the roof today... there was more to it then just the letter, wasn't there?" She looked down at her lap. "I know that a lot of girls hit on YunHo. He's a great guy, but is it really fair for you to be pushing so many girls away? Does he even know what you're doing?"

"Why do I get the feeling that you're speaking from experience?" He watched as her eyes widened. A scoff escaped his lips and he shook his head. "You shouldn't speak so freely without knowing all the facts, and remember your place." With those last, harsh words, he stood and walked back over to the others, leaving her behind just like everybody else in her life.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

JaeJoong tossed his book bag on his bed and sighed, running his fingers through his hair. "Aish, I'll never listen to YunHo again. I knew I should've never taken on another subordinate," he mumbled to himself as he took his jacket off and loosened his tie. "So troublesome."

'You pretend to be the bad guy when you're really not, don't you? That girl on the roof today... there was more to it then just the letter, wasn't there?' She looked down at her lap. 'I know that a lot of girls hit on YunHo. He's a great guy, but is it really fair for you to be pushing so many girls away? Does he even know what you're doing?'

Her words echoed in his mind.

He closed his eyes. If she had really heard the whole conversation, she would've known that they use him to get to YunHo. "Why can't anyone understand my feelings," he asked himself silently.

Sitting down at his desk and turning his computer on, he tried to concentrate on more important things, like the three page essay he had due tomorrow.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A/N: Weeeeee! xD R&R!!!!