Carry you home tonight....

Not Who I Used To Be...

"Who's Jin..what?" Amanda asked. She wasn't able to get a better hold of John's name because the music was very loud. Yet, when she saw Jiyeon standing there like a mannequin with tears falling down her cheeks, Amanda knew that something was wrong.

"Do you know him?"

Jiyeon could only nod as John continued to stare at her before finally looking at his audience again.

Suddenly, it hit Jiyeon. It's been three years since she had last talked with Jin Woon. And she didn't even say goodbye to him. Nor did she communicate with him although she wished that one day, Jin Woon would call and ask her how she'd been. She was beginning to feel homesick that tears streamed from here eyes like a waterfalls.

It’s no surprise I won’t be here tomorrow
I can’t believe that I stayed till today
There’s nothing here in this heart left to borrow
There’s nothing here in this soul left to say
Don’t be surprised when we hate this tomorrow
God know we tried to find an easier way
Yeah you and I will be a tough act to follow
But I know in time we’ll find this was no surprise

Our favorite place we used to go
The warm embrace that no one knows
The loving look that’s left your eyes
That’s why this comes as no, as no surprise...

****

Amanda searched for Jiyeon among the many areas in the fair grounds after she suddenly turned away in the middle of the "We are Young" song. When she finally managed to find Jiyeon at the back of the pizza booth sitting beside Kelsey, Amanda was surprised.

"Why did you just go out? Did you know that John sang many cool songs too? And by the way, who was that name you mentioned earlier?"

Jiyeon stared blankly at the root of the tree across the booth. "John is Jin Woon Oppa..."

"What? Isn't he that...OMG...OMG, Jiyeon...I can't imagine that you both met here in New Jersey after all these years!"

Kelsey looked at them, chewing a piece of gum. "Who is?"

"John and Dione! I mean...OMG...girl, you must be very lucky today!"

"I don't think I am, Amanda. I thought someone tried to play a trick on me, but it's real..I just.. I just missed him so much..."

The girls suddenly became silent. They didn't notice someone was eavesdropping in their conversation. Suddenly, the intruder came behind Amanda, scaring her out of her wits.

"Am I missing something?"

"You scared me, John! Seriously, I could whack this chair on your head if I had the chance to do so!"

But Jin Woon only looked at Jiyeon, who was also looking up at him.

"Hi, Jiyeon," he greeted in English as he smiled. Jiyeon could see in his eyes all the longing he had kept after all those years. And she saw that Jin Woon had grown a bit mature. His cheekbones had started to protrude, his hair was disheveled in a rocker kind of way, and he had become leaner. Yet, the tenderness in his eyes remained the same.

"Annyeong, Jin Woon Oppa." Jiyeon greeted, tears falling from her eyes.

When they just were in their positions, Amanda decided to give them time and began pulling Kelsey along with her. Then, Jin Woon knelt in front of Jiyeon, wiping the tears from her eyes.

"How are you?"

"Oppa...I was hoping that you'd give me a call...why didn't you even call me once even though you said that you had feelings for me?"

Jin Woon pulled the chair beside Jiyeon and sat in front of her. "You made me so angry because you didn't even say goodbye to me. I don't think it's a good retaliation just becasue you didn't see me off when I went to Georgia too some years ago. But after months passed, and seeing Seung Ho walking alone, I started to miss you. He did give me your number, but I was such a coward. I was afraid you might not answer my calls. Instead, I suffered in silence, always looking forward to the day that I would be seeing you again...but not attached to someone else..."

Jiyeon looked at Jin Woon. "Seriously, Oppa, I had grown tired of waiting. But I never entertained someone because I wanted to focus on my studies. And I didn't give up all hope that I'd be seeing you again. When you called me a liar, I was happy that you finally managed to see behind my denials. I hope you'll forgive me..."

Jin Woon scooted closer and hugged Jiyeon. "Were you surprised to see me today?"

"I was very suprised. Amanda kept telling me about you being John, the pizza delivery boy who's always asking about me. It never occured to me that it was you. Such serendepity..." And she released herself from his embrace.

"Oppa, what are you doing here in New Jersey? I'm curious. You just didn't come here to find me, did you?"

Jin Woon laughed. "That was my primary intention. I'm planning to stay here for only six months after which I'll be going back to Korea. I became a permanent resident  here like, three years ago? So, it doesn't matter for me coming here anytime I wanted. But then again, I couldn't go on without money, so I worked at the pizza house and in a club in downtown. Really, another reason was to practice my English. But just last week, Park Jin Young-ssi approached me and asked me if I wanted to become a talent under his company. Of course, I was very happy to accept it, but that meant giving up my residency in the long run if that meant having a job in Korea as an entertainer. As it is, you leading me here opened up a new chapter for me to explore. And it's all because of you..."

"Chukahae, Oppa. I hope that when I come back to Korea, you're already a famous star."

"Ani. I wanted to go back to Korea and be famous only after I have you. I cannot go on regretting for not being brave."

And Jin Woon leaned forward and gave Jiyeon a soft kiss on her lips. And for the first time in years, Jiyeon felt at ease with that kiss. It wasn't forced like the first time he kissed her on that alumni homecoming years ago. SHe returned his kiss, embracing him and closing her eyes. Then Jin Woon pulled from the kiss and looked at Jiyeon, whose eyes were still misty from the dreamlike state she was in. Caressing her face, he asked.

"Do you still love me?"

"Ne, Oppa...I still do...you were my first crush, and you were my first love..and you are, and will always be...do you feel the same way?"

"You were not my first love, but you certainly will be my last. I love you Jiyeon..." Jin Woon said as he brushed a snowflake off her eyes.

"I know it's still five thirty, but it's getting dark. Shall I walk you home?"

Jiyeon nodded as she stood up. "Can you carry me home?"

"Not until you answer my question."

"Mwoeyo?"

"Can you...be my yeojachingu?"

Jiyeon chuckled. "Ne, Oppa. I would be very happy too to be your future wife."

"Aish, there you go again with your assumptions!"

"Mianhe...but let's take the first step before we proceed, shall we?"

Jin Woon smiled as he carried Jiyeon piggyback style all the way to her apartment. 

"I don't mind doing this for you, Jiyeon-ah. You just made me so happy today..."

"Same here, Oppa. Saranghe..."

"I love you too..."

 

-fin...