4) First Laugh and Coughs

Of Window, Sunshine, and Reflection

“I see you’re better now. But rest one more day to make sure you’re fully recovered. Don’t forget to drink the medicines, eat the porridge before taking them. Don’t go outside!” Luhan blabbered in Chinese as they stood by the front door. Sehun was totally lost in this alien language he doesn’t understand even a bit.

“Alright, alright. I understand, Ge. Now go or you’ll be late for school.” Tao replied, leaning down the doorframe with a hand messing his hair. Luhan frowned before leaning in to peck the younger’s cheek, which kind of shocked Sehun as Tao replied the peck to Luhan’s cheek. Sehun could see Luhan’s eyes glancing from Tao to Sehun, earning a raised eyebrow from the raven black haired boy. Luhan pointed at Sehun and Tao pulled the youngest to peck his cheek.

“It’s a habit to us, bidding goodbye with pecks. Since you’re my brother, you’re a part of a family too. I hope you won’t mind.” Luhan smiled.

Sehun was blushing from head to toe. Tao just kissed him! He smiled shyly as Luhan widened his eyes and Tao running back inside. Sehun raised an eyebrow before looking down to check his uniform. A drip from his nose to the ground under him knocked his brain to realize.

He’s having an early morning nosebleed.

He leaned to the front, moving a bit to a space where the grass is so he won’t dirty the path. Tao came back with a wet towel and Luhan quickly put the warm fabric around Sehun’s nose. The bleeding wasn’t a massive one and it ends almost right away but to make sure his uniform stayed clean, Luhan told Sehun to hold the towel on his nose until it’s stopping completely.

Both Sehun and Luhan had a nice and comfy conversation on their way to school. When they reached the front gate, it was surrounded by Luhan’s fans. Sehun glanced at Luhan but the older just smiled and keeps on walking. The crowd cheered for him, some calling his name, some taking pictures and Sehun was a bit uncomfortable because of it. But Luhan gave him a sweet smile, giving a light squeeze to calm him on the arm. They walked pass the fans safely and Luhan’s hands were full of presents and gifts.

They parted before the stairs and Luhan gave him a peck. Sehun smiled before replying the peck. Feeling a bit too happy having such a lovely senior who treated him like a brother, he didn’t realize he’s skipping to the class, jumping a bit in every step. When he opened the door, a face was just few inches in front of his face and it was the familiar face of his best friend, Kai.

“G-good morning?” Sehun awkwardly greeted, taking one step back to avoid people’s stare.

“What good morning, little brat. Tell me why you were walking to the school with Luhan.”

Sehun gulped, looking nervous as the students passed the hall eyeing them. “Uh-…c-can we talk inside?”

Kai gave him a glare before letting the younger in. Sehun sat down his desk and Kai followed, sitting on Tao’s table. “So?”

“Well, uh, I visited Tao’s house, and he was extremely ill so I stayed for a while. Somehow I fell asleep on the couch and it was already dark when I woke up. Luhan hyung was cooking and told me to stay for a night. It was 11 PM already so I just nodded.”

“And?”

“…I walked to school with him because I stayed at his home?”

“Okay, accepted.” Kai nodded, patting the younger’s shoulder. Sehun let out a relieved sigh. Sehun’s glad Kai wasn’t mad. “Let’s visit Tao again today.”

“Eh?”

“I want to taste Luhan’s cook too!” He whined.

“Why don’t you visit him alone?”

“I don’t have any courage. Beside, you’ll have the chance to meet Tao again, right? C’mon!”

“Ssh, the class is about to start. Get back to your seat.”

“Sehun!”

“Fine! I’ll think about it.”

Kai grinned before messing Sehun’s hair. He quickly skipped back to his chair as the teacher went in. Sehun snorted before fixing his hair and took out the book from his bag. He had to borrow Tao’s books because he didn’t have the chance to get back home. Without Kai asking, he needs to go back to the house. Luhan had offered him to go together too after school. And he couldn’t deny.

 

Lunch time and Kai was already beside him, tapping his foot. Sehun was busy writing some notes carefully and neatly on Tao’s books because he doesn’t want his messy writing to bother Tao. When Chanyeol decided to join Kai on drumming his fingers to the table, Sehun closed his book.

“You’re never so into geography, Sehun.” Kai snorted. Chanyeol nodded in agreement. Sehun rolled his eyes before taking two boxes and stands up, guiding his friends to the cafeteria. “You brought lunch?”

“Luhan hyung made one for me.”

“Freaking hell, Sehun. I’m going to kill you someday.” Kai growled.

“This is for three days ago when you left me alone!” Sehun stuck his tongue out. Chanyeol laughed but Kai widened his eyes.

“Is this revenge? Did you just clarify a war, Sehun?”

“I’m sorry, but I see Luhan hyung as an older brother. I won’t make him an excuse to start a war, Kim Jongin.”

“Guys, stop. Let’s just eat. I’m starving already.” Chanyeol interrupted. He pushed both of the kids inside the cafeteria and to their usual table. Before Kai could stand up again to buy food, Sehun pulled him down, pushing one box to him.

“What is this?”

“You want Luhan hyung’s homemade lunch, right? There.”

“Isn’t this for you?”

“I said, he made one for me. You didn’t give me a chance to say there’s one box for you too.”

Kai’s eyes were sparkling so bright that Sehun and Chanyeol need to narrow their eyes. “Oh Sehun, I love you!”

“I don’t, now eat.”

“There’s none for me?” Chanyeol asked.

“Nice try, Chanyeol. I saw a lunch box this morning in your locker.” Kai snorted.

“What?” The tallest raised an eyebrow, standing up from his seat before running down the hall.

Sehun gave a questioning look to Kai. “What? I’m telling the truth!”

“No, I mean, how did you even get to open his locker?”

“Um-“

 

 

Sehun dried his hands after washing the dishes they had for dinner. He glanced to the back where the three were seated on the floor, books scattered everywhere as Kai whined about not getting anything of Biology for test tomorrow. Luhan would ruffle his hair and smile before poking the younger to concentrate on the study. Tao was leaning his back on the sofa, reading some notes, clearly he’s studying. Sehun walked towards them, joining the slight crowd, and decided to study for math instead because he already memorized everything in his head for biology. He fidgeted with the question number 4, it is really something he never understands. He tried, for God’s sake, he tried his whole life but he just couldn’t get the point. He raised his head to ask Luhan but the older was busy explaining things to make it easier for the slow-brained Kai. He sighed before whining in depression. After a while trying, he eyed Tao, the one he knows good at math. The older was still reading his notes in a boring statement. Yawning every two or three minutes. He bit his lips, still eyeing Tao, trying to make the younger notice his miserable condition.

Tao, feeling insecure in his own house, dropped the note just to see a lost puppy face in front of him. Widening his eyes, he held back his laughter because Sehun looked just weird. Sehun noticed Tao’s eyes on him and he started whining, which made Tao explodes.

“Yah! Why did you laugh!” Sehun protested, earning Kai and Luhan’s stares.

“Your face.” Tao breathed between laugh. He covered his mouth with his note and fell to the floor.

“There’s nothing wrong with my face, right?!” Sehun ran to the restroom, checking himself out on the mirror. Nothing’s wrong with his face. He went back to the living room just to see Tao, still laughing. Luhan smiled, letting out small laugh while Kai held back his laughter until his face turned red. “Laugh all you want, Kim Jongin. Laugh.” Sehun said in a sarcastic tone.

“No, I mean-“ He laughs. “I don’t know the heck happened to your face-“ he laughs again. “But Tao’s making me laugh. Stop him.”

Sehun actually didn’t want him to stop laughing. It was a bless to hear someone so cold laughing that hard, right? Especially when you’re the reason. Laughing Tao is very cute to Sehun. But as the time passes, it gets a little bit annoying. “Stop laughing!” He pouted.

Tao controlled his breath, slowing down, hand moving up and down his chest to steady the breathing. He let out a laugh before finally stopping. “I’m sorry, what is it?”

“I can’t do number four. Can you explain it to me?” Sehun sat back down.

“You can just ask me. Why bother using that face.” Said Tao, taking Sehun’s note. “I thought I’m going to die laughing.”

Sehun pouted, making the older to chuckle. Tao took out a pencil and began to explain the problem and suggesting an easier formula. For the first time in his life, Sehun understood the unsolved mystery of this geometry he always had in math. Sehun nodded as he all the words Tao told him. But when they fell to silence as both the mentee (or so what Kai prefers to be called) were busy doing their exercises, they were interrupted by a sudden cough from Luhan. Tao and Sehun looked up almost immediately as Kai asked if Luhan was okay.

“I’m okay.” Luhan answered, nodding with smile. “I just choked on my own spit.” The other three focused back to their work. But not long after that, Luhan started coughing again, this time it wasn’t a simple cough and he seemed to be in pain because he put his hand to cover his mouth and a hand clutching the fabric on his chest. Sehun leaned on his hand, lifting his body a bit with his face worried. Kai was already in his knee, Luhan’s back. Tao stood up and ran to the room upstairs Sehun slept in last night which is Luhan’s room. After a while, he came downstairs with nothing before running to the kitchen, looking through the cabinets. He growled in frustration and decided to take a glass of water instead. Sehun sat up straight as Luhan’s coughs getting clearer and harder. Kai was worried to death, Sehun could tell. Tao ran back to help Luhan to drink and after a few gulps, he calmed down.

“H-hyung, are you o-okay?” Kai was holding his fear inside his eyes widens nearly as wide as Kyungsoo from the next class but well, it’s not worth laughing at it now.

Luhan smiled and nodded, “Yeah, I’m okay. I think something stuck in my throat and doesn’t want to come out.” We all sighed in relief as he started to joke as usual.

“You’ve been coughing a lot these days, let’s get you to the doctor.” Tao said. But Luhan shook his head.

“I had my prescription. Don’t worry.” He smiled. “I’m sorry for making you guys worried. Now, where are we, Kai?”

 

 


Rushed update! I just need to do this because it's been almost a week 3

I'm sorry for my crappy update but I'm still working hard for the 5th chapter, I haven't got any ideas these days, ugh!

Wish me luck, guys <3 I love you all!

exo-ed.