Imperfection and Time

Memories

Sehun was old, but he could remember everything that had anything to do with Luhan. So he remembered when the management company had first told them that their debut was confirmed. He remembered voting for the group name. Getting the songs. Trying on the clothes. Picking and choosing accessories. Specifically rings.

            Luhan had been the one to suggest getting matching rings. Sehun was more than happy to agree, but he didn’t really know much about ring sizes and whatever, so Luhan picked out two simple, matching rings. They were identical, with “EXO” inscribed on top of them.

            Sehun slipped the ring on the fourth finger of his left hand. He had always wanted to wear it on this finger with Luhan.

           

 

 

            Sehun had been beyond nervous for the first fitting. The rest of the members were more hyped up about the songs than anything, but not Sehun.

            He was afraid for some reason; afraid that he would have to wear something stupid. Or he was afraid for some other dumb reason. Either way, his being afraid was pathetic.

            “IIIIII LOST MY MIIIIIIIINNNNDDDD!!”

            “BAEKHYUN, SHUT UP.” Yixing smacked the boy.

            Everyone laughed, including Baekhyun.

            Sehun had met Baekhyun not long ago; he and Jongdae had just joined in the last couple of months.

            “BABY DON’T CRYYYYY, TONIIIIGHHTTTTT!!”

            “I SWEAR TO GOD, BAEKHYUN, I WILL KILL YOU IF YOU DON’T SHUT UP.” This time it was Jongin that smacked him.

            “As long as you don’t cry, it’s okay.” Baekhyun turned his eyes on Chanyeol.

            “You’re such a cheeseball,” Joonmyun commented before Chanyeol said anything.

            “IT’S OKAY BAEKHYUN HYUNG, YOU’RE MY CHEESEBALL.” Chanyeol grinned his creeper grin.

            “Shut up while your limbs are still attached to your body,” advised Wu Fan.

            Baekhyun pouted. “FINE.”

            The van was quiet after that, and most of the members fell asleep, for it was quite a long drive.

            Sehun couldn’t sleep. Baekhyun’s singing had been a welcome distraction, but now that it was quiet, his mind wouldn’t shut up. He wished his mind would listen to Wu Fan too.

            Sehun had curled up in a ball and been staring out the window when he felt a slight pressure on the seat next to him. He turned to see that Luhan had moved places to sit next to him. His bunny eyes were as cute as ever, and they were looking right at Sehun.

            Sehun couldn’t help but smile at that sight. Luhan snuggled up next to him and put his head on the other’s shoulder.

            “What’s on your mind, Sehun-ah? You look all preoccupied. You even have a little wrinkle between your eyebrows.”

            “I do not get wrinkles!”

            “Mhmm. Keep telling yourself that.”

            Sehun playfully smacked him. Luhan retaliated by poking him.

            “That’s your revenge? A poke?”

            “I can’t hit my Sehunnie!”

            “But I hit you. Way to make me a bad person.”

            “My Sehunnie is not a bad person!”

            “Mhmm. Keep telling yourself that.”

            At this, Luhan did smack him.

            “Are you SASSING me?”

            “No…”

            “Stop lying to your hyung.”
            “I’m not lying!”

            “Fine. Then tell me what you’re thinking about. It must be pretty serious if you have a wrinkle because of it.”
            “I don’t have–okay fine. I’ll tell you what’s on my mind. It’s stupid, I can tell you that much.”
            Luhan looked him in the eyes.

            “No thought in your head is stupid, Sehun-ah.” Sehun wondered where Luhan got all these perfect lines.

            “Mhmm. Keep telling yourse–OW!”

            Sehun rubbed the sore spot on his arm. Luhan had a cute face, but he had a mean pinch.

            “Now tell me what’s on your mind or I’ll pinch you more, and you’ll be covered in bruises, and then our makeup noona will have to put makeup all over your body to cover up the bruises, and then after a couple hours of sweating under the lights you’ll feel all gross and–“

            “Okay, okay I’ll tell you. I’m nervous about getting our clothes. I always get the worst clothes. A couple years ago, my noona and I both received clothes for Christmas. My noona got a pretty dress and high-heeled shoes, and I got a sweater vest. A sweater vest. Who in their right mind would wear sweater vests?”

            Luhan laughed.

            “My Sehunnie would look perfectly adorable in anything he wears, from sweater vests to high-waisted pants.”

            “High-waisted pants?”

            “You wear them to make your legs look longer.”

            Sehun gave up trying to follow Luhan’s fashion knowledge.

            Luhan put his arm around Sehun.

            “Don’t worry, Sehun-ah, I’ll make sure you get something really nice. Promise.”

            Sehun smiled at that word. Promise.

            “Another promise? Don’t make promises you can’t keep, hyung!”

            “I can keep all these promises! Do you doubt me? Is that how it is? You doubt my ability to keep my promises to you? Is it because you don’t trust me? Why–mmph!”

            Sehun clapped his hand over Luhan’s mouth.

            “I trust you, hyung.”

            “Really?”

            “Haha Luhan hyung is so cute! Of course really!”

            Luhan seemed to accept the answer. They ended up sleeping the rest of the car ride, snuggled together.

 

            When they arrived, Sehun was the first one to wake, because, despite Luhan’s promise, he was still nervous for the fitting. The rest of the members didn’t wake up so easily. Joonmyun got up 2nd to try and “set an example” for the other members. Like that worked.

            Together Sehun and Joonmyun managed to up all the other members except for Wu Fan, because waking up Wu Fan was a whole different animal.

            When the rest of them were awake and reasonably functional, they decided that waking up Wu Fan in the traditional way (“WAKE UP!!!”) wasn’t very safe. So they decided to employ their cuteness.

            Wu Fan could never resist Tao’s aegyo anyway.

            And in the unlikely event of Tao failing, Luhan was there.

            Sehun had never really thought about Luhan’s aegyo until he saw it for the first time. After seeing Luhan’s aegyo, he mind had crashed for a good half hour due to the overload of cuteness. Luhan couldn’t figure out why Sehun wasn’t very functional during those 30 minutes, and Sehun couldn’t figure out how to explain it to him.

            Luhan didn’t like doing aegyo, but he always made an exception for Sehun.

           

            When Wu Fan finally woke up, they entered the dressing room for hair and makeup. It was their first time getting hair and makeup all together, and the chaos was unexpected. Sehun didn’t mind too much though. He and Luhan didn’t wear a lot of makeup and their hair didn’t take long to fix, so they were the first ones done. They had to share a chair, because every other chair in the room was occupied. Sehun didn’t mind that too much either.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

        

    When their makeup noonas and stylists were finally done with all of them, they entered the dressing room together. Each member was given a coordinator, and then they were measured for their clothes.

            Sehun’s coordinator was a young woman who looked fresh out of designing school. She couldn’t have been more than 23 years old, with bright eyes and short brown hair.

            “Hi! I’m Eunmi.”

            “Sehun.”

            “Sehun. How old are you?”

            “I’m 17.”

            “Only 17? Looks like I’m your noona!”

            Eunmi was obviously trying to help Sehun calm his nerves, and Sehun appreciated it.

 

            What Sehun didn’t see was Luhan’s suspicious glance in their direction before turning back to his coordinator, a woman about 30 years old with long, manicured nails.

 

            Sehun was surrounded by clothes and measuring tapes. Eunmi still hadn’t decided what he was going to wear, because apparently “everything” looked good on him.

            Sehun didn’t believe it, but he was flattered by Eunmi’s compliment.

            Eunmi took the longest to decide how to dress Sehun, but by the end, it was worth it. He had all of his costumes for What is Love, History, and MAMA.

            “Okay boys, now for accessories, but we’re going to let you pick and choose them yourselves. If something you want isn’t in your size, just let us know.” The head coordinator smiled at them and left.

            Luhan came up to Sehun.

            “Let’s get matching rings.”

            “Matching rings?”    

            “Matching rings.”

            Sehun laughed.

            “That would be great, except I don’t know anything about rings.”

            “Don’t worry; we can pick them out together.”

            They went to the ring table and took at look at all the available rings. Jongin had already been there and had taken the huge, silver EXO ring.

            “It’s okay Sehun-ah, that ring was too flashy for us anyway.”

            Sehun agreed. Only someone like Jongin could wear a ring like that and get away with it.

            Luhan’s eyes swept over the rings before stopping to inspect one of them. A simple one with a diamond shaped stone that had “EXO” inscribed in it.

            “I like it,” Sehun said before Luhan opened his mouth.

            “You do?”

            “Yeah! Let’s get it together.”

           

            When they received their jewelry, Luhan and Sehun each wrote “L” and “S”, respectfully, on the bottom of their ring. That way they would know which one belonged to whom.

 

            The matching rings were their “thing”. They would wear them together every once in a while, when no one was looking. It was their little secret, a shared smile here and there, a brief second when their eyes met, the moments when Luhan snuggled into Sehun and gave him a hug.

 

            It ended when Luhan left for China.

 

            They had known that EXO-M and EXO-K were going to be separated for months at a time, but it hadn’t really sunk in until it was happening.

 

The last day before EXO-M left, Luhan convinced Joonmyun, Sehun’s roommate, to switch rooms for the night. Joonmyun must have pitied them, because he agreed. When Luhan thought Sehun had fallen asleep, he climbed into his bed and snuggled against him.

            Sehun hadn’t fallen asleep.

            “Luhan hyung?”

            “Sehun-ah, I thought you were sleeping…”

            “I can’t sleep.”

            “Why not?”

            Sehun didn’t respond.

            “Sehun-ah, if there’s ever something wrong, you can tell hyung. Hyung will help you with it.”

            Sehun turned toward Luhan, trying to find his eyes in the dark.

            “Really?”

            “Of course really.”

            It was their line, but this was the first time they had used it in a serious situation.

            “You trust hyung, Sehun-ah, right?”

            “I trust you, hyung.”

            And this time, it was Sehun that snuggled up into Luhan. His head was buried in Luhan’s neck, and Luhan had his arms around him.

            They stayed like that for hours, barely moving, listening to each other breathe and feeling their hearts beating together.

 

            Don’t go, Luhan hyung. Stay here with me. Stay. Don’t go.

           

            What’s so special about Luhan hyung that I just can’t say goodbye to him? It’s not goodbye forever, only for a couple of months, and I still can’t do it. What is Luhan hyung to me that makes me think about him all the time?

            Why have I never been attracted to a girl before? Even the pretty ones. They’re just boring! What makes Luhan hyung not boring? What makes Luhan hyung interesting? What makes Luhan hyung special?

 

            What makes Luhan hyung perfect?

 

            Sehun already knew the answer.

 

 

 

 

            Everything.

 

 

 

 

            Sehun lifted his head to wake Luhan up, and found that Luhan was looking at him.

            “Hyung, why aren’t you sleeping? You’re going to have bags under your eyes in the morning and the cameras will see them and then you’ll worry fans that you’re not sleeping and–“

            Luhan leaned forward and kissed him.

           

            It was like time itself had stopped. Nothing was real to Sehun anymore, except the softness of Luhan’s lips and the slight pressure of them on his. Luhan was what was anchoring him to Earth, because he felt as if he could fly. He WAS flying. With Luhan. As long as Luhan was there, he could fly.

            Sehun didn’t want to pull away, ever. But Luhan made a soft noise and broke the kiss. Sehun reluctantly let him disengage himself. Then he realized that Luhan had done it because Sehun had been clutching him harder than he realized he was.

            Sehun could feel his heart beating faster than he ever remembered it beating, and Luhan’s was beating just as fast. Their eyes met, and Sehun couldn’t look away. There was something in Luhan’s eyes that he couldn’t name. Some emotion. And it wasn’t necessarily a positive emotion.

            “You’re my first kiss.” The words came out of Sehun’s mouth before he stopped them. He wanted to punch himself, because they sounded stupid even to his own ears.

            Luhan opened his mouth like he was going to say something, but he closed it without saying anything.

            Sehun started to pull away, cursing himself inwardly for his immaturity.

            Luhan held onto him.

            “No. Don’t go.”

            Sehun allowed himself to be held.

            “I thought you were the one leaving.”

            Luhan looked as if he didn’t know what to say.

            So Sehun kissed him.

            The second kiss wasn’t like the first. The first had been sweet and lingering, like honey. The second was fire, all fire. Sehun had never felt so much heat in his body. Not when he had a fever that was 105⁰. Not when he had eaten a spoonful of wasabi as a dare.

            It was like he had swallowed fire itself, and everything inside him was burning. His lips were throbbing with heat, but he couldn’t keep them off of Luhan’s.

            He didn’t think that kissing would be like this.

           

            Luhan pulled away again. But this time he leaned in toward Sehun’s ear.

            “I think I love you.” Sehun shivered as Luhan’s breath made his spine tingle. The effect was almost intoxicating.

            What am I supposed to say back? That cheesy line from Grey’s Anatomy ‘You think too much’? Wait, no! That didn’t work out. Should I just say ‘I think I love you too’? Or does that make me sound like I’m not sure about how I feel about Luhan hyung? Am I sure about my feelings for Luhan hyung? Am I 100% sure about him? Could he be mine? Is he right for me? Is he the one? Do I love him?

            All of this was racing through Sehun’s head. He could see in his mind’s eye the boy that he met that day in the studio, almost 2 years ago, wearing the white shirt and black jacket and dark jeans. He saw them practicing together into the early morning on weekdays while everyone else was home sleeping. He saw the dorky pictures they took together in the photo booths. He saw Luhan’s wallet with all the dorky photo booth pictures stuffed in it that he wasn’t supposed to see. He saw his own wallet, with the same dorky pictures that were in Luhan’s wallet. He saw them drinking bubble tea together. He saw them sitting on a park bench, Luhan’s head on Sehun’s shoulder. He saw Luhan’s face now, with its adorable bunny eyes that never changed.

 

            And he knew.

 

 

 

            “I love you.”

           

 

 

 

            The words were barely out of his mouth before Luhan’s lips were back on his. Sehun felt wetness on his face and thought Luhan was crying before he realized that they were his own tears mixed with Luhan’s. He felt Luhan’s lashes graze his face as he insistently pressed his lips to Luhan’s. Neither of them made a move to deepen the kiss, but there was no need to.

            Finally, Luhan made a noise at the back of his throat, and pressed his lips to Sehun’s forehead.

            “I love you, Sehun-ah.”

 

            Come morning, both of them had barely slept, but they had never been more awake. While Luhan was taking a shower, Sehun lay in bed, clutching his pillow, his lips still tingling from Luhan’s kisses.

            Is this what love is?

            Sehun pondered the question up until Luhan walked in the room, his hair wet and his skin damp. He was already fully dressed but had a towel around his neck.

            The sight of Luhan drove everything else out of Sehun’s head.

            “Good morning Sehun-ah, how come you’re not up yet?”

            As a response, Sehun got up to kiss him. He felt Luhan smile against his lips, which made Sehun want to hug him more.

            “Sehun-ah, my lips are going to be all swollen and how am I supposed to explain that?”

            “You can figure that out later.”

            Luhan playfully smacked Sehun, and Sehun pretended to be hurt.

            “Okay, Sehun-ah, go wash so we can go to the airport together.”

            The airport…

 

            Right before all the members left the dorm, Sehun slipped his ring on his right pointer finger, and he saw Luhan do the same.

 

            During the car ride to IncheonAirport, all the members were chattering and talking, but Luhan and Sehun were curled up together next to the window silently. Sehun didn’t know what to say to Luhan after last night. It wasn’t exactly awkward, but it wasn’t a comfortable silence either.

            Luhan was the one to break the silence.

            “Sehun-ah, why are you so quiet?”

            “Why is hyung quiet?”

            “I’m trying to figure out how to tell you how much I’m going to miss you while I’m in China. I can’t find the right words.”

            Sehun almost stopped breathing.

            “Everything you say is perfect, hyung.”

            Luhan elbowed him.

            “Don’t say that, Sehun-ah, it’s not true.”

            “It is too!”

            “I think I have imperfections.”

            “Those imperfections are what make you perfect, Luhan hyung.”

            Luhan was the one that was silent this time. Sehun was scared for a moment that he had said something wrong, but then Luhan snuggled deeper into Sehun’s chest and looked at him with his bunny eyes.

            “Really?” Luhan’s eyes were too adorable.

            “Of course really.”

           

            They spent the rest of the car ride in a comfortable silence, with Sehun’s arm around Luhan.

 

            When they arrived, Luhan pecked Sehun on the lips before exiting the car.

           

            Inside the airport was so crowded; fans everywhere were screaming, and the noise was deafening. They waved and smiled at them, knowing that they were some of the most important people in their career.

            While waiting for the boarding announcement, they stood in the lobby, talking. Luhan turned to Sehun.

            “Sehun-ah, let me see your ring.”

            Sehun was a little surprised but let Luhan have it.

            Luhan turned Sehun’s ring around in his hand and then took off his own ring. Then he kept Sehun’s and gave Sehun his.

            “Now it’s like we have a little piece of each other.”

            Sehun wanted to cry.

            “Sehun-ah, don’t forget me while I’m in China, okay?”

            “How could I forget hyung?”

            “They say time is the devourer of all things.”

            Sehun put his arms around Luhan and hugged him.

            “Well they’re wrong, because time won’t affect us.”

           

            When the boarding announcement rang through the lobby, Sehun reluctantly let Luhan go, and helped him with his carry-on bag.

            Right before he stepped through the gate, Luhan ran back into Sehun’s arms one last time.

            “I’m going to miss you so so so much while I’m in China and I don’t know how to tell you how much because I can’t find the right words but I hope you understand what I mean because I seriously don’t know how to tell you that I’ll miss you and love you and you have to remember to call and text me every single day because I’ll miss you so much and–“

            Luhan broke off in a sob.

            Sehun gently disengaged himself and put his hands on Luhan’s shoulders. He knew that he couldn’t break down and start crying too; he had to be strong one right now.

            “Hyung, don’t be so sad, we’ll see each other again! And I won’t forget to call or text you every single day because I’ll miss you too. Promise.”

            Luhan didn’t say anything, just buried his head in Sehun’s neck.

            “I love you,” he whispered.

            “I love you too.”

 

            Luhan turned and boarded the plane, wiping his tears with the back of his hand. Sehun watched him go, feeling the tears he had held back spill over his cheeks.

            Chanyeol put his arm around Sehun, but didn’t say anything, because he knew the younger wasn’t in any condition to talk.

            Sehun looked at the ring on his right pointer finger. Luhan’s ring.

 

 

 

            Sehun slipped the ring off of his fourth finger and looked under it. Sure enough, there was a faded “L” written on the bottom of the ring. 


A/N: Sorry it took me so long to update, this chapter was about 1000 words more than the first two because there was just so much STUFF to put in it haha XD

Thank you to everyone who read this, especially those of you that subscribed!

And a note on the snsd-fake thing that was in the last chapter: I only put that there to lead up to this chapter :)

Also, I've been thinking of posting a new fanfic that I've been working on that's mainly Kaisoo, what do you guys think? There's some Baekyeol, Taoris, Lay-Suho (I don't know what to call them haha XD) , and of course, HUNHAN :) Leave me a comment if you're interested in this. 

Last thing, FOLLOW ME ON TUMBLR!! :)