How to Write Without Barfing Out Symbols or a Mothering Rainbow

Writing Tips 101 - The Do's and Don't That Everyone Should Follow

Guys, your story should not be so colorful and neon that it makes me want to stab my eyes out. Seriously, just what?

Why did you just barf out a rainbow and give it to me?

I don't want it. Keep your colors to yourself, better yet, give the rainbow colors to the Rainbow girls (I love this kpop group, shush).

 

1. It does not help with readers understanding of who's talking. Your story/way of writing should already clarify the person who's currently saying the dialogue or you could simply end it like:


"I like cheese." Myungsoo said.

She smiled back, "I actually like macaroni better because cheese is old."
 

Some random stuff like that. Guys, it should be easy to understand, not colorful.

Colorful things should stay in crayon boxes. Not be splattered on your writing.

2. It makes your hard to look at. Bright colors sooner or later blend across the screen and stress out people's eyes more, thus, people won't want to read your story. Plus, do you see authors using random colors to tell the readers who's talking?

3. Words/Letters should not be replaced with numbers or random symbols I don't even know how to type. "I l!k3 ur pAnts!" da. No, I don't read troll speak/text talk and neither do half the people in this word, so you should stop it now.

 

Some examples of this not acceptable:

  • Ur/U
  • 2
  • ! replacing "I/i"
  • other random letters and symbols that shouldn't be there.

 


(absolute horror. Mirrors my expression perfectly)

 

Perfect example of what not to do.

Also, anything that's like

Jiyeon: ladidah~
L.Joe: asdljkhkasdgjhadsg derp

This is a story, not a script. You should not have their names signalling the dialogue. Nor is this an rp so none of this (* [[]] [] () --) should signal any actions being done. They should be properly described as best as you possibly could.


Example:

Jiyeon walked across the store, her eyes gazing lazily around the clothes that was displayed neatly around her. A long sweater caught her attention, and she quickly walked over to it.

(Jiyeon's my bias, shush).


Something like that.
 

What not to do:

Jiyeon: omfg, there's nothing in this store. *walks over to a sweater* oh look! This looks nice *touches it*


Again, this is not an rp, so writing like this should be avoided at all cost. ALSO any text talk and smiles ( ;3 :) XD 8D >:D ;A; ;~;  or  lol rofl! omg etc) should be deleted. This is not required in your fanfic and it also makes your whole story sloppy and annoying to read. Smiles should not describe your character's emotions/facial expressions, nor should "lol" be a good enough description of amusement.

Texting stays texting. Writing is writing.