Chapter 4

You Annoy Me

 

   When school ends, I say goodbye to my friends and got to my locker to gather my things. Opening the locker door, the first thing I see is the brown paper bag still sitting on top of my books where I had left it. I grab it and take a look inside.

The sandwich that was probably fresh and delicious this morning is now soggy and warm. That’s gross.

“This’ll never do,” I mutter to myself, tossing the entire lunch in a nearby trash can as I make my way to the cafeteria, which is thankfully open, even after school hours.

 

I walk into my classroom and see a girl, bent over on her knees, cleaning the floor with a rag. Her back is to me, and I almost ask her where ____ is, but then I notice her .

That’s one fine .

I can’t help myself, I let out a wolf whistle. This chick is just amazing looking. Well, her rear is.

The girl turns around, and I’m shocked.

____ has a surprised yet annoyed look on her face when she sees it’s me. She crosses her harms and asks, “What are you doing here?”

Well, at least she’s talking to me. Smiling, I hold up the cold can of soda and mini box of pizza that I bought. “I have food!” I half say, half sing. “I know you want to eat.”

____ stares, but her face doesn’t change from its hostile expression. She turns around, picks up a broom, and begins cleaning again. “I don’t need it,” she says defiantly, as she sweeps the floor hurriedly.

Some supernatural force must be on my side, because as soon as she says that, her stomach emits an earth-shattering growl.

She freezes. A smile creeps over my face in victory as ____ grumbles and storms over to grab the late lunch.

I watch her as she devours the food. It’s kind of cute, the way she bites into the meal. ____ catches me staring, and turns bright red. She turns her face away, not wanting me to see food entering .

Once she’s finished, looks into my eyes and utters words I thought I’d never hear. “Thank you, Dongjun.”

The lump in my throat has miraculously disappeared. I feel like a free man now that ____ seems to have forgiven me. I jump for joy as she looks on and giggles.

“Well, I’m off,” I cheerfully say as I walk towards the door, saluting ____. She has stopped giggling, and doesn’t reply, but just looks at the ground.

My back is turned to her when I hear a small, quiet, “Help.”

I stop walking and turn around. Looking into her eyes, I ask, “Did you say something?”

She vigorously shakes her head no, never looking at my face. So I turn around and move to turn the door handle.

“Please.” The voice says again, as softly as humanly possible. I can’t help but smirk at her stubbornness.

I turn around once more, but this time I ask, “Do you want some help?” It is hard to keep a straight face.

____’s face makes a small pout as she says, “Well, you should, since it’s your fault I’m in here anyways.” She acts as if it’s no big deal, but I can tell she’s pleased that someone is helping out.

I smile knowingly, then grab a washcloth and start cleaning desks, windows, and the board while ____ takes care of everything else. We actually make a pretty great team, joking around a lot and still finishing only an hour later.