Chapter 2

You Annoy Me

 

It takes forever, but the bell for lunch finally rings. I pack up my things, then I rush out of the room and into the cafeteria. Holding ____’s lunch, I plop down at an empty table with my group of buddies.

“Hmm, I wonder what I have for lunch today,” I said jokingly to myself as I opened the brown bag and peer inside. Before I can take the lunch out, I feel a tap on my right shoulder.

I turn my head and see ____, one hand on her hip and the other held out, waiting for something. “Give me back my lunch, Kim Dongjun!”

I blink, then decide to push her buttons a little more. “I don’t think I like your tone, missy!”

The smile on my face is wide as the scowl on her face grows. “Urgh, you’re so annoying!”

Oh, I’m annoying? With one swift movement, I pull the sandwich out of the bag and hold it above my head. I’m tall enough that she can’t reach my hand, even on her tippy toes.

Teasing ____ is so much fun. I smile as I stare at her face, daring her to do something about her height.

She glares at me, then suddenly jumps up and knocks her lunch out of my hand. It flies somewhere a few feet behind me. I spin around to see our teacher, also our lunch supervisor, get smacked in the face with ____’s sandwich.

I start laughing, as does half of the lunchroom. In fact, the only people I see who aren’t laughing are our teacher, and ____. I’m about to tell ____ to lighten up when I hear my teacher’s angry voice. Uh oh.

“____! Detention, cleaning my classroom, after school, today and tomorrow!”

____ is surprised. “Wha-? But, wait, it wasn’t-“

The teacher cuts her off. “No ifs, ands, or buts about it. I don’t want to hear any explanation from you, missy.” Then she walks away, with ____’s lunch in her hand, probably to report to the principal.

The tables who had witnessed the scene are quiet, and then most go back to whatever conversations they were having before. ____ isn’t looking anywhere except her toes. I feel kind of bad.

“Hey, if you want, I can buy you some lunch,” I try to offer. What I receive in turn is the dirtiest glare I’ve ever seen, along with an angry flip of hair. The last thing I see before the lunch bell rings is ____’s back turned to me as she storms away.

 

Class after lunch is uncomfortable. The teacher is mad at ____, who is mad at me, who is mad at my friend for saying stupid things.

“Dude, your girlfriend must be pretty pissed at you. She’s not looking over here even though she normally does that like once every 5 minutes,” my friend comments.

“Gee, she’s angry? Really? I didn’t know that. Thanks for informing me,” I say sarcastically as I roll my eyes and try and focus on the lesson. I can’t really concentrate since I have a lot on my mind, but I manage to get through class without being called on.

When the school bell rings to go home, I walk to the classroom door, joking around with all my friends. Out of the corner of my eye, I see ____ still sitting, looking miserably down at her desk, waiting for her detention to start and finish. She looks up and catches me looking at her. I quickly turn my head away and walk outside.

Once outside the school, I stop and consider whether or not I should stay and wait for ____. We normally go home together too, if neither one of us has anywhere else to go.

Then one of my friends calls out to me to hurry up so I can go over to his house. I shrug and run over. ____ wouldn’t mind if I didn’t wait for her just once.