After school

What is love

“Ommo! Are you alright? What happen to your knee?”

I greeted the librarian and walked behind counter.

“I fell down just now. Clumsy me.” I chuckled, putting my bag under the desk. “It is stock checking day right?” I asked.

She shook her head. “It’s tomorrow. But I think you should just stay behind the counter.”

“I’m fine.” I said, stretching myself. “I’ll be sorting the books then.”

 

After school, I help out in the library. Three times a week, four hours per day.  You do the math.

 

And that is the payback for receiving a scholarship.

 

Ever heard of the famous quote ‘nothing is free in this world’?

 

There you go.

 

There are a few trays situated next to the exit door. Once you’ve finish reading a book, you can either put it back from where you got it (which never happens) or leave it at the tray before leaving.

 

Oh, my knee is fine, just a little scratch. Having bandages on my both knees just makes it look serious.

 

I still can’t believe he talked to me. If it wasn’t for him I wouldn’t have realised I’ve scrap my knees. But why would he do that? Does that means he cared for me?

 

Oh cut the crap Hana. He’s just kind. He always is.

 

Sometimes I wonder why he is part of EXO. They can be so heartless and annoying. He never talks much though. But when he smile, gosh, I admit, I myself become one of those crazy fan girls that squeals and jumps around with their presence.

I’ve never seen him flirting around. Rumours said that he had never dated before. Really? With that face and smile? I don’t think so.

 

I pushed the filled tray to the respective section and started putting the books back. Within 15minutes, I was done.

I’ve spend two years working, I mean, helping out in the library. I’ve gotten so familiar with everything that I can practically arrange them without even looking at the codes.

There were only three choices to choose from, the library, administration office or sports centre.

Sports are definitely out of my preference and I don’t really want to work in the office. So the only option left was the library.

It isn’t that bad. I prefer somewhere quiet. Plus, I love books. I’ve read almost all the books in our school’s library.

Pushing back the tray to where it belongs, I took the next one and went into fiction section.

I chuckled as I saw the familiar book titles. There were all love stories.

 

Love huh? If only such love stories exist in real life. If only love was this simple. If only we all have happy endings. But then…. We don’t need storybooks anymore since part of the reason why we read them is to escape reality.

 

Well, at least that’s the reason why I read love stories.

 

I heard someone ringing the bell at the counter. It means Mrs Jung isn’t there.

 

“Coming!” I called, climbing down the stairs and attend the two girls standing there.

 

 

-

He had never lied to anyone before, especially to his parents.

But he had just told them a biggest lie.

 

He checked his phone nervously and sighed. The oldest, Suho realised how restless he was for the whole day and decided to ask him.

“Anything wrong, Kyung Soo?”

The boy who carries the nickname ‘white rich’ because he has a lot of white in his eyes cleared his throat and looked away from the leader.

“Are you in trouble?” Suho asked.

“No.”

 

The rest of EXO members went to the PC room but Kyung Soo wasn’t in the mood, so he decided to accompany Suho to the library.

 

“Spill it.” Suho said sharply. “I know that look.”

 

And so he did.

 

There were a few reasons why Kyung Soo is so quiet and barely interact with others. Being the only grandson and potential future heir of the largest hotel chains in Korea, he is already in the public’s eyes. Therefore he makes sure that he carries his image well for the sake of his family. Besides, it’s just naturally him. The only reason why he’s in EXO is because they happen to grew up together.

 

Kyung Soo knew this day would come. His grandfather would do anything just to keep the business within the family, which includes choosing his future wife. And now he is 18years old going on19 in a few months, he was finally told that he would be marrying a girl that he had never encountered before.

 

Kyung Soo didn’t like this whole concept. Sure, his father was force to marry his mother but then love happens. He wasn’t sure whether the same thing would happen to him.

 

And so, he lied to them last night.

 

“I told them…I already have a girlfriend.” He finished his story.

 

Suho laughed and patted his shoulder. “Wow, I never expect you to say such things.”

 

“Me neither.” He muttered under his breathe.

 

“Did they buy it? I mean….”

 

He shook his head. “Not really. I told them I kept it as a secret from everyone for…well.. Obvious reasons.”

 

Kyung Soo punched in the code for his locker. All types of love letters spilled out from his locker as he opens it.

“I swear you’re getting more popular than me.” Suho, who real name is Kim Joon Myun said as he goes through the fan letters. “Oh, it’s here.”

Kyung Soo’s eyes lighten up when he saw the familiar pink paper on Suho’s hand. He took it and unfolded it.

 

  

“Love is the harmony of two souls singing together.”

-Gregory J. P. Godek-

 

 

The leader smiled at the younger one. “So….do you know who is this secret admirer yet?” he asked.

“No.” he replied, putting the paper into his pocket.

 

It all started when he was a sophomore. This piece of paper was different from the rest, who only writes how gorgeous his eyes or lips is, or confess their feelings for him. This piece of paper is written with all kinds of quotes. Day by day, he found himself looking for only this piece of paper in his locker.

 

It has been a year but the identity of this girl remains unknown.

 

It has to be a girl. The petite hand writing proves it. She still uses the same type of paper as if it was to get his attention.

 

“You know, you should at least look for this girl. I’m getting really curious about her.” Suho said. “Wait.”

 

He turned around and saw another same piece of paper in his hand. Without thinking twice, he snatched it away, smiling as he opens it.

 

Suho silently chuckled. He knew his friend is somehow attracted to this mysterious girl but he is just too shy to look for her.

 

 

“Anyone can catch your eye, but it takes someone special to catch your heart.”

 

“Did she write this herself? Why are there two pieces today?” Kyung Soo asked. Suho shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t know. It’s for you.”

 

Kyung Soo’s phone beep and he panicked.

“Hyung.” he whined. “My parents…wants to meet my so called girlfriend.”

“What? Like now?”

He nodded. “They are on their way back from the company so they said they’ll come here. Help me….”

 

The older laughed as they make their way to the library. “Well, this is a good opportunity to ask her to be your girlfriend. It’s been so many year.”

 

Kyung Soo blushed. He knew that he was talking about his crush.

 

“I…ah…I don’t think…what if she rejects me?”

 

“Who would reject you?” he asked him back. Suddenly, he had an idea.

 

“How about we look for this mysterious girl and you can ask her to pretend to be your girlfriend?

 

Kyung Soo wasn’t sure about it.

 

-

There weren’t many people in the library today. I grip onto the ladder tightly as I tried to reach for the highest shelves.

 

Why do I have to be so short?

 

“Do you need help?” a voice asked. Oh, wow, this has never happen to me. I always leave it on the tray so other scholarships recipients who were on duty can put it.

 

To my surprise the voice belong to my one and only crush. He was looking at me with his big rounded eyes.

 

My heart started pounding in my chest. He talked to me twice! Is this fate?

 

The book slipped out from my hand and landed on the floor. He walked over and picked it up.

 

“Come down.” He said, holding his hand out.

 

Should I take it? The only day I manage to hold his hand was that particular day that I will never forget.

 

I missed a step and came sliding down. Waiting to hit the floor and get a few broken bones but I ended up falling on him.

 

How convenient.

 

His back hit the bookshelves behind him and some books fell out, hitting my head and also his.

 

Someone called his name. I pushed myself off him and sat on the floor next to him.

 

I apologise. “Are you okay?” I asked. He rubbed his head. “Yeah. Are you alright? Your knee…”

 

He remembers?

 

Before I could reply, I heard a few people’s footsteps. I was expecting Mrs Jung or some random students, but it was two people that I have never met before.

 

“F-father!” he said in a panic tone.

 

Father? Is the other one his mother then?

 

“How do you…”

 

He looks scared of his parents. Then I saw another boy standing behind them. Oh I know him, the girls gave him the nickname ‘Suho’, it means guardian.

 

“Why didn’t you pick up my call?” the lady asked. “Is this her?”

 

Me? Wha-? Huh?

 

I gave him a ‘what-is-going-on’ look, expecting him to say that he was just helping the clumsy me.

 

But no, he simple decided to smile at me.

 

That smile. Somebody prepare the ambulance. I need some CPR real soon.

 

“Yes mother.” His eyes never left mine. “She is my girlfriend.”

 

On second thought, I don’t need an ambulance. I think I’ve just died.


Is it long? hehe...

well, i have some bad news...

my finals has been brought forward. i'll be sitting for my 1st paper next wed.

which means....i will be on hiatus till it ends by 15 june.

i'm so sorry! =( i know it's long... maybe i'll update in between when im taking a break hehe..

 

thank you for subscribing and reading my stories!! also, thank you for commenting, you guys are really funny sometimes haha.

take good care! all the best in what your doing now!

chu~