v

Carnations [ H I A T U S ]

(Author's P.O.V.)

Jay went to a flower shop near the watch store to buy a flower bouquet for his mother who passed away just a year ago. This is mainly the reason why he didn't want to leave Korea, instead of the fact that his father has a mistress who live in the States.

He was having a hard time on picking which flower to buy, then he heard a voice. A familiar voice.
 

(Jay's P.O.V.)

"Ah, ahjumma!~ How are you?"

That voice sounds familiar.. It sounds like bell chimes. Just hearing it makes me.... flutter. What? Flutter? What the hell Jay?!

I shaked my head a few times and eavesdropped on the two people. I heard the ahjumma respond, but I didn't understand what she said. Only the girl's voice was audible for me at the moment. Her angelic giggles makes my heart skip a beat. . Since when did I become so greasy and such?

I didn't notice that she was coming my way, since I was still hitting my head and slapping my cheeks. Then for the second time, we bumped to one another. Lucky she didn't fall on her again. She just.. swayed, I guess? She repeatedly bowed to me and she kept saying that she's sorry. Then when she saw my face, she pointed at me with covered by her other porcelain-like hand.
 

(Jia's P.O.V.)

I bumped onto someone again. Sheesh, I'm so clumsy. Am I sick or something? I bowed to the person and said sorry repeatedly, until I lifted my head and saw Jay. His eyes were really... I don't know, handsome? Yeah, something like that. His eyes never fails to catch me off-guard, and I like looking at his eyes.

I was so shocked that my mouth formed a cirlce and I was pointing at him. He let out a chuckle and he asked me about what I was doing here. I quickly closed my mouth and put down my hand and answered his question.  

"I'm here because ahjumma asked for some help to carry some stuffs." I smiled at him.

We chatted for a bit, asking about this and that.

"Uhm, hey, what are you doing here anyways?"

I guess that question took him off-guard. But why? There's no reason to be scared or nervous of answering a simple question like that.. Right?

He took his time before he got to answer, as if he was picking the right words to say.
 

(Jay's P.O.V.)

"Uhm, hey, what are you doing here anyways?"

That completely took me off-guard. I don't know what to say. I mean, how am I supposed to tell this woman that I just lost the one person I've always loved, and I'm here to buy flowers for her?

Damn. She might pity me or something. She might think I'm some lonely kid, looking for some comfort. How do I say this?

Ahh, hell. I responded to her question when I saw her eyes. What a beauty, really.. I'll die with her stare someday.

"My mom, she... She just passed away recently.. And.."

She cut me off and exclaimed:

"Oh. Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry. I didn't know.."

Silence came in, and it stayed like that for a mere seconds. Then she broke the silence by asking:

"So, what kind of flowers would you buy for her?"

....What? Isn't she supposed to.. disance away from me or something? Isn't she thinking that I'm some emo kid looking for comfort and such? And she's even helping me out.

Wow.. I didn't expect that, since girls nowadays would think that guys like me are pitiful. Well, yeah, I am pitiful, but not to the extent that I would need some extra attention and such.. I'm mature enough to stand up on my own.

".....Why am I even thinking about these things?"

Anyways, I chuckled lowly and answered her.

"I'm still not sure, tho. Mind helping me out?"
 

(Jia's P.O.V.)

He chuckled lowly and asked me if I could help him pick which flower to buy. I quickly told him that he should buy carnations. I went to the place where the carnations were at and took one and showed it to him.

"Hmm, but why?"

He asked me when he took the flower from me and gazed at it a bit.

I smiled a bit and took one, carefully rotating it with the tip of my fingers and thoroughly looked at the flower.

"Because even though it's not as stunning as roses or as eye-catching as tulips, the carnations have this one-of-a-kind feature. It looks so simple, yet beautiful. It seems like this flower isn't working so hard to look beautiful. And besides, this flower lives longer in vases than roses and tulips. Carnations can live as long as 14-21 days. And....that's the kind of love I would want to have. Simple, yet beautiful and long-lasting. I want that, nothing more, nothing less."

Oh. My. Gosh. Did I.... Did I just say that to him..? Ohmygosh. Damn! I really said that?! Oh my gosh, it's so embarassing! He might think I'm a weirdo! Damndamndamndamn!

I looked at him and he was smiling. , he thinks I'm weird. Great!

"Uh-m... Yeah, so that's why I would.. I would uhm.. reccommend it to anyone.. yeah.."

I can feel my cheeks burning with embarassment. I looked away from him and returned the flower to where it was before. I was touching the other flowers awkwardly, then I heard him shout.

"Ahjumma! How much is a boquet of this?"

Oh... he's.. he's buying it? Omoo.

Ahjumma went to the stand and they talked a bit. I didn't quite understand their conversation 'cause.. well, I was dumbfounded. Jay went to me with the boquet and told me something.

"Uh...huh?"

What the. That was the second time I did that.  So uncool..

"Come with me."

"Uhh... where to?"

"It's a surprise."

"Wh-wha-"

Someone suddenly blindfolded me. I'm guessing it was ahjuma because I can hear her giggling. He guided me to the exit then Jay shouted his thanks to ahjumma and he continued guiding me.

"Yah, Jay, what the heck are you doing?"

"Don't worry, I'll protect you, 'kay? Just trust me."

Trust. It's so easy to say, yet it's so hard to do it. I've never trusted people easily, but somehow, when I'm with him, it's like I trust him. I really do. And I'm not even... afraid or something. But, why? Am I becoming soft-hearted again? I just knew this person for a couple of weeks, yet he managed to gain my trust so easily? Why Jia, why?

I just nodded. I can feel his warm breath over my ears, then I stumbled onto something. It's his car I guess. I heard it open and Jay guided me to get in.

"Slowly Jia, you might hit your head..."

Omo, so cute. Really, it was. I was smiling when he said that....

I managed to get in to the car without getting my head hurt. I heard the door close and after 3 seconds I heard the other door open and he got inside. He started the engine and.. well, he fixed my seatbelt for me. I felt his warm breath on my cheeks.  Damn butterflies, stop fluttering.

"Where are we going?" I asked him when he started driving.

"It's a surprise." I heard him smirk.

Aigoo, where is he taking me?

*

(Author's P.O.V.)

They finally arrived at their destination. Jay stopped the engine and went out to open the door for Jia, while Jia removed her seat belt and heard the door on her side open.

"We're here."

Jay said to Jia, offering his hands to her. Jia held his hand tightly, since she's still blindfolded. He guided Jia and when they got out from the car, they started walking.

"Where are we?"

Jia was still holding Jay's hand. She's just realized how cold Jay's hands were, and how warm hers is. It felt good for a reason, then she started to feel her cheeks burn.

"Aigoooo, not now. He might notice it..." 

When they finally stopped, Jay let go of her hands and held the cloth that was covering her eyes.

"Are you ready?"

"I was already ready 5 minutes ago."

Jay chuckled and started to unwind the cloth. "Here we go~" And as Jay removed the cloth, Jia's eyes grew wider.

"A... a green house?"

Jia walked towards the green house, and Jay was smiling to himself, walking behind Jia. Jia was too fascinated by the view infront of her. 

It was a green house surrounded by green grass, by trees. Standing behind the green house is a valley, where the sun sets and rises. It's not that big, but it's enough for one person to take care. Next to the green house is a little cabin, with the colours of brown and white. It was like a hidden cottage being protected by nature.

Jay allowed Jia to explore and satisfy her eyes with the view. With so much awe, Jia was just hanging open a bit. Jay chuckled and crept slowly to Jia's back, and he gently lifted Jia's chin so as to close .

"Ya, don't open your mouth too wide. A bee might fly inside your mouth."

This made Jia giggle. She lightly punched Jay's shoulder and quirked her lips.

"Who's house is this anyways?" Jia whispered, pointing at the small cabin infront of them.

"Before I answer that, let's go inside the green house first. I have to show you something."

Jay pulled Jia towards the green house, she followed him obediently. And as he opened the glass door, there was only one thing you can see there: Carnations.

Carnations everywhere, all with different colours, different sizes. Others were in a pot, others were just hanging on the ceiling of the said building. Fresh flower scents lingered in the room. This made Jia stay on her ground. The view was too overwhelming. After a few moments, she started to go around and investigate every Carnations she passes by. She took one piece of it and started to rotate it with her finger tips. She joyfully smelled the aroma of the said flower with her eyes closed. This view made Jay's heart pang. He suddenly remembered a memory. A memory he thought he has forgotten.
 

FLASHBACK

"Hey mom, why do you like those flowers so much?"
 
A young kid was curiously looking at his mom, and the flower that she was holding. The mom chuckled lowly, ruffled her son's hair and gave the flower she was holding to his son.
 
"Baby, take a look at the flower. Tell me what are the first thing that pops in your mind."
 
The kid quirked his lips, trying to focus at the flower and gazed at it.
 
"It's pretty, mom. But the red flowers are prettier!"
 
He pointed at the roses and smiled brightly. His mom smiled softly at him and told him:
 
"Think deeper, my dear."
 
The kid tilted his head, shrugged his shoulders and focused once again at the flower. Pretty. It's all that he could think of. He looked at his mom, pouting. The mom motioned him to go on, then he focused on the flower again, for the third time. Pretty.
 
"Mom, 'pretty' is all I could really think of."
 
"How did you feel everytime you focus to it again?"
 
"Erm.. well... It looked more prettier everytime I look at it again..."
 
His mom chuckled lightly. The child tilted his head, because he was confused by his mom's actions. His mom took the flower from him and she gently rotated the flower with the tip of her index fingers and her thumbs. She looked at it deeply while explaining to her son;
 
"I really like, ah -- no, I really love this kind of flower because... firstly, it's really attractive the first time you see it. And, like what you have just experienced, it gets more and more prettier. It's really beautiful, even though it looks so simple and plain. It doesn't make so much effort just to look pretty, but it's still unnoticed. This is the real wallflower."
 
The child was mesmerized by his mom's beauty and by her words. For a young kid like him, he could already see and appreciate the beauty in little things. He was cupping his cheeks while looking at his mom. His mom smiled at him, ruffled his hair and told him;
 
"So Jaebeom, always remember me with this flower. And when you're going to court somebody, give this kind of flower to her. If she doesn't like it, then she's not the one for you, m'kay?"
 
The child shaked his head; "But mom, I don't want to have somebody else!"
 
His mom chuckled and pinched his cheek while saying,
 
"Aigooooo, when you remember this moment in the future, I know you'll just laugh at it."
 
"Aniyo, I won't laugh. I don't want someody else." He crossed his arms and pouted.
 
"Arasso, arasso. If you say so." 
 
They hugged each oher, and his mom showered him with kisses.
 
END OF FLASHBACK
 

Jay didn't notice that tears started to fall on his cheeks, until Jia wiped them off herself.

"Ya.... are you... okay?" She asked while she gently squeezed his shoulders.

He wiped of some of his tears and nodded. He smiled weakly and said

"Yeah, I'm fine. I will be." 

"Are you sure? Do you wanna.... talk about it? I don't mind hearing you out."

He chuckled a bit. "Maybe next time. I don't wanna ruin this day for you."

"Promise you'll tell me next time when you're ready?"

"I promise."


A/N:
Hey guys~
Another update over here (:
Sorry for taking so long to update.
So, I actually found this chapter cute. Idk, probably because this is my first time to
write something dramatic and emotional as this. Cheers for me!
If it wasn't for summerchild's "Chase Summer", I wouldn't be so melancholic, thus I wouldn't
be able to write this chapter the way I wanted it to be. Cheers for me again!
And for my subscribers, thank you so much for reading with me. You inspire me, even
though you don't comment too much. Just your presence and knowing that someone
reads my crap is enough. THANK YOU. <3

See you guys real soon! (: