iv

Carnations [ H I A T U S ]

I can't believe these three. What the hell are those questions they're throwing at me?! "Do you like his smile?" "Do you think he's cute?" "He looks like he has some abs, does he?" "His lips are so kissable, aren't they?" Like, how am I suppose to know if Jay has some abs? It's really making me laugh.

But, I gotta admit, he's got a fine bod. Really hot. And his eyesmile. Oh god, it was so cute! His eyes looks like a caret whenever he smiles....well, not really, but it looks like it. And I gotta agree with Fei unnie about Jay's lips. I'm not even sure if it was Fei who asked that...

Suzy suddenly said that Jay looked like my ex boyfriend. Then the room fell silent. I looked down, but I know Min and Fei unnie are making faces to Suzy and at the same time, Suzy was biting her lips.

I suddenly remembered that bastard who broke my heart 10 years ago. Kidding, just 4 years ago... I've moved on, I know I am. But...he really made a big impact in my life. He was my first boyfriend...ugh.

I distinctly remember how he broke up with me that day, after all the things I did for him...

*

FLASHBACK

February 21, 20xx.

Today's our 2nd anniversary, and the skies looked dark and gloomy. It was really awkward..

"God, why do I feel so uncomfortable today..? I must be happy. Yes Jia, be happy. Today is your 2nd anniversary with your boyfriend... be happy."

I was on my way to our favourite noodle house. We go there everytime we go out for a date, since this is the place where we first met. Happy memories are built in that place, but I have a bad feeling today... Dammit, I'm such a pessimist.

While I was walking, my phone suddenly rang and I panicked a bit. I took out my phone and checked who that caller was. It was him. I sighed with relief, then I answered the call.

"Hey Babe~ where are you?"

I smiled foolishly at myself. I hate how his words can make me smile stupidly, but I like it.

"I'm a few steps away~ and you?"

"I'm almost there.... there's something important I need to tell you.."

He has something to tell me.

"Is he gonna tell me the words I've been longing to hear from him?" "Is he finally proposing?"

My mind was full of questions. I didn't know what to think but I wasn't worrying. I was excited, actually. I walked faster, for I couldn't wait any longer. I wanted to see him so badly. We haven't seen each other for 3 weeks, since he said he was out on a business trip. I didn't doubt him, since I trust him and I have faith in him. I know he wouldn't lie to me. There's no need to lie, right?..

When I have reached the noodle house, I stoppped infront of it for a while and breathed in deeply, and I let out a long sigh, then I smiled and walked in. The old man who was sweeping the front doors looked at me and smiled.

"Ahh, Jia~ You look happy. Got any news for your old gramps?"

No, this old man is not my grandfather in blood. He was just...well, my Gramps. Whenever I go here, he always greets me with a smile and talks with me, and since I don't have any grandfathers anymore, I considered him as one. My Gramps.

"Gramps~"

I hugged him tightly, and I heard him chuckling lowly. I released him, and told him that today was me and my boyfriend's 2nd anniversary and I also told him that my boyfriend has got something to tell me.

"I have a feeling that he's finally gonna propose, Gramps!"

He smiled at me, patted my cheeks and looked at me in the eyes as he said;

"My dear child, I don't want to sound mean to you or anything, but I hope you don't keep your hopes up too much. I don't want you to get hurt..."

That...surprised me. There was...pain in his eyes. But..why?

"What the hell? Why is Gramps telling me this?..."

I held his hands that was still on my cheeks and squeezed it gently as much as I could. I smiled at him while saying

"Gramps, there's nothing to worry about. I've been with him for 2 years now, I'm pretty sure he won't do anything that'll hurt me. I trust him. Don't worry too much, hmm?"

I looked at him for a while and hugged him tightly. I wanted to ask him why he was like this, but I had to go meet my boyfriend. I released him again and told him that I will see him later. He just looked and waved at me.

When I got inside the shop, I looked for the table where we always sit. The table near the window. It was our favourite spot because we could see and observe the people walking by. He was amazed by how people look and act differently from one another. I really liked that from him.

So I sat down and grabbed my phone. As I was attempting to call him, his name suddenly popped out from the screen again. I answered the phone and asked for his whereabouts. He told me he was already inside, looking for me. I saw him standing infront of the door. I giggled and told him that I'm on our favourite spot.

He looked at my way and smiled, I stood up to greet him and he kissed my cheek.

"Weird. Usually, he would hug me tightly and kiss me on my lips whenever we see each other...."

I just thought that he was tired from travelling, so we just sat down. Then a waitress went to our table and asked for our orders.

"The usual, please."

He said it to the lady with a warm smile. He bowed his head gently at her and the lady walked away. He then returned his gaze at me and he smiled. 

"So..... how was the business trip? Did anything happen?"

Then we began to chat. He told me lots of stuff about his job, and I listened to him. I listened to him intently. I really missed him. 3 weeks is really a long time for me, since we always hang out together.

I was about to ask him something, but he broke me off. He told me that he had to say something important to me. 

"Oh, yeah, what is it?"

I sat properly and looked at him. I don't know why, but my heart was pounding loudly. It feels like my heart wants to run away. Dammit, heart, calm down.

"I...uh...."

"What is it? Tell me.."

He ran his hand across the table and he held my hands firmly. His gaze never faltering.

"Jia..I have something to tell you...this is...really important.."

"Go on, tell me.."

"Jia... We need to..."

"We need to....?" 

He took a deep breath, then he said

"We need to break up."

".....What? Break up? What the hell? Why...."

Well, that was a shocker. I didn't know what to say, my mind was blank. But it was full of questions. Tch, is that even possible? I don't know. But that's how my mind is right now.I wanted to ask him questions. I tried to speak, but no voice came out.

When he was about to say something, the waitress came in to give the food we ordered, and she was shouting. Just a common Chinesewoman, always shouting. He bowed his head a bit to the waitress, and I awkwardly did the same then the waitress left. He turned back to me and he attempted to grab hold of my hand, but I unconciously moved away my hand from his and placed it in my lap. He did the same.

"Jia, did you hear me? We need to break up."

"Why..?" My voice was cracking. 

"B-because.... I met someone while I was on my business trip.."

I felt a pang in my heart when he said that. It's like I'm being repeatedly punctured by a thousand needles. My heart was bleeding out. My tears almost coming out. I couldn't keep it in anymore. It was too much for me to bear, the pain I mean. I cried. I covered my crying face with my hands. We stayed like that for some minutes when I suddenly heard someone came in.

"Hi Hun!~" A guy came in.

I lifted my face and I saw him, my boyfriend, hugging that guy who just came in. Hun. He called my boyfriend Hun. And they even kissed. In the lips. Infront of me. Then they hugged each other again and kissed and kissed.

"...What the hell is going on.... My boyfriend... is gay?!"

I didn't know why, but I laughed. I laughed loudly enough to make the people inside the shop look at me. Then they (the man-couple) looked at me with a confused look. I took my bag, wiped those tears off my face and stood up, with my arms crossing each other. I slowly walked to them and, with a deep breath, said to them

"I don't want to know how you to came to be, because I'm sure it was very disgusting. So there's no need for any explanation."

Then I looked into my boyfriend's -- ah, no. My EX-boyfriend's eyes and smirked.

"You disgust me right now."

Then I walked back, my arms still crossed and looked at them.

"Hmm, you both make a great couple. You both look like douchebags."

I looked at the food that was on the table, then I looked at them. Yes, I did it. I threw the food to their faces and laughed evilly. Then I walked out of the shop while saying

"Have a good time, douchebags!"

And I never looked back.

"God. Who would ever thought he was gay.. Damn him!"

That was the last time I saw him.

END OF FLASHBACK

*

We were all bursting out of laughter. I mean, who wouldn't laugh at that kind of break up, right?

"Omona, I bet they really looked stupid when you threw the food at them!" 

Suzy was rofl-ing. Min was hitting her thighs while laughing then she said

"You know what Jia unnie, that's probably the best break-up scene I've ever heard!"

We were still laughing, but then we all fell silent for a moment, to catch our breaths. Then Fei unnie rubbed my back and said

"Oh Jia, I know you were in a lot of pain back then, but I'm happy to see that you've moved on aleady!"

Then Suzy sat by Fei unnie's side and said

"Yeah!~ Now that you've moved on, you can date Jay oppa! He's really cute!"

Min butted in and said

"Plus, he's not gay!"

We all laughed again then when we stopped, I told them

"Hmm, yeah, sure. I'll think about it.."

Then we all hugged each other, then Suzy shouted

"I ship JiJay!"

Then Min and Fei unnie followed. I was just laughing.