Chapter 2

I Want a Lover

  How am I suppose to respond to that? Jieun thought to herself. She glanced at what she can see behind him, but she didn't see much since he was quite tall. "You live here alone?" she asked, saying it a little polite and a little rude. She caught his eyes and immediately looked down on the floor.
  "Come in," he said, making way for her to enter. "My name's Jung Yonghwa." He closed the door behind her.
  Jieun looked around. Everything looked white. Is all of the apartment rooms like this? she thought to herself. Once she entered the room, she was automatically in the living room. On the right was a bookshelf that was somewhat neat. "Whoa, he's really rich," she whispered, looking at the big plasma screen TV and an expensive white couch. Next to a living room was a kitchen that was corresponding to the TV which had no door. It was just one big room. A bathroom is between the living room and the kitchen which Jieun guessed was all white.
  "Aren't you going to tell me your name?" Yonghwa asked, just like the way he first greeted Jieun.
  Jieun looked at Yonghwa. "Jieun," she answered. "Lee Jieun."
  Yonghwa took her luggage out of her hand and opened a door near the refridgerator. "Here's your room. The door next to yours is my room. There's a small bathroom in your room so you don't need to use the one out here."
  Jieun took a peek inside. It looked neat. There was a closet, a desk, and above the desk is a couple of shelves. There was only one bed which was made neatly. "Woah, did you do this? It's so neat!" she said, impressed with what she saw.
  "No way, my dad hired a maid come over and clean up everything," he replied, putting her luggage in the bedroom. "Oh, and you need to sign some things." He took out a packet of papers and put it on the desk.
  "Eh? what is it?" Jieun asked curiously, leafing through the thick packet.
  "It's an agreement," he answered. "Since you're living here you have to follow my rules. Give it back to me once you're done signing it." He walked out of the door and closed it.
  An agreement? Jieun thought. "What is this? I have to make breakfast, lunch, and dinner? I'm not his maid!" Jieun whispered to herself. She took a black pen from her red backpack and looked through the packet and begin reading it and signing some of the lines that she approved of.
  A couple of minutes passed and Jieun had finished reading it. "Yonghwa!" she called, opening the door. She found him watching TV. Wow, what a nice TV, she thought. "I'm done," she said, handing him the agreement and walking back to her room.
  He flipped through the packet really quick. "Yah," he called, "Why didn't you sign all of them. You're living under my roof. If you've forgotten." He followed her to her room.
  "I'm not living here. I'm just staying here only temporarily," she replied. "I'm not your servant. You'll have to cook for yourself and make your own bed. I have a life too, you know."  She put her hands on her hips. "There's something called negotiation," she added, putting her red backpack in the closet.
  He rolled his eyes. "Fine, let's negotiate," he mumbled.
  "I'll make the meals as long as you don't complain about it even if it's really bad," Jieun started. "Also, since it's my room, it's the place where I dominate."
  "Fine, I'll dominate the rest of the apartment then since it's my house," Yonghwa replied. "You'll control the food in this house, I'll control all of the money."
  "No," Jieun said, flatly. "Your room is where you dominate. The rest of the house is for both of us. It's neutral, and you don't control the money that I get paid."
  "Fine," he urged himself to say. "But you have to contribute 30% of what you make. Remember you're staying here at my house."
  "Fine," Jieun said, not making eye contact. "Also, any big decision made has to be approved by each other."
  "I'll tell my lawyer to make a new contract," Yonghwa said, walking out of her room.
  "Make the contract mandatory!" Jieun called. "There might be some changes to the contract." She heard paper being shed and secretly smile to herself, but then she frown and figured she didn't have a job yet. "Aish," she said, falling to the floor. “I haven’t even look at the newspaper yet!” She urged herself to stand up and start unpacking.
   At 7:00PM she began to make dinner. She cooked rice first and began making kimchi and samgyeosal. She really had no idea what to make since there was an average amount of food, but just improvised with what’s around the kitchen. In the end, she made rice, dubu kimchi, guk. and samgyeosal. It fit for 2 people but strangely, she wasn’t hungry.
  Did  I ate too much during lunch? she thought to herself. Maybe I just haven’t adjust to where I’m living. “Yah, Yonghwa!” she called, knocking on the door. “Dinner’s ready.” Her eyes caught the newspaper sitting on the couch. She quickly grabbed it and walked to her room naturally. She took out the job section and sat on her bed, looking at the part-time section first. Eh? a waitress? but I’m awful at balancing a tray with one hand. Maybe a photographer, that’s fun, right? she thought to herself. She remembered when her father was still with the family, she had taken painting classes. She continued running her eyes down the newspaper.
  “Yah, you’re not eating?” Yonghwa yelled through the door.
  “I’m not hungry,” she replied.
  “Whatever, I’m putting them in the fridge,” he stated.
  Private tutor? I just graduated high school. I can handle a kid she thought to herself. She wrote down the address of both a photographer and the private tutor. She gave a heavy sighed and realized it was 8:30. She put the newspaper on the desk and her iPod. Jieun sighed and took out her phone to see if anyone had called her yet. Yup, her friend from high school, Suzy. She called Suzy, waiting for the phone to pick up.
  “Jieun? Why haven’t you called me yet? Is everything ok? Where did you move to?” Suzy asked, worried.
  “Ah, it’s been a tiring day. I was busy packing my stuff. I moved to a place that doesn’t seem to suit me. I moved into a guy’s apartment. I don’t think he really appreciates me, but I guess it’s ok since I’m only staying here temporarily,” she replied.
  “When are you coming back?”
  “I don’t know yet. When my family gets back on track?”
  “Oh well, sleep early. Today will be over in no time. Tomorrow might be better”
  “Yeah, maybe you’re right,” Jieun stated, flatly. “Goodnight.”
  “Goodnight,” Suzy replied, trying to sound happy.
  Jieun hung up and took out her phone charger. She plugged it into the electricity outlet. She laid on the bed and thought what will come the next day. “Maybe tomorrow will be a better day,” she stated to herself.