Chapter 3

I Want a Lover

            “Yah, Jieun!”
            Jieun felt someone shaking her. She moaned and turn to her tummy.
             “Yah! you better wake up! It’s part of the agreement that you make breakfast!”
            Jieun shot her eyes open. “It’s not a dream?” she whispered to herself.
            “Welcome to reality,” Yonghwa greeted as he took the blanket.
            “Alright, just wait a few seconds,” she replied, taking the blanket away from him. She went to the bathroom and began brushing her teeth well because she remembered she didn’t last night.  
            When she was done she opened the fridge and took an 2 eggs. Looked for a small pan and when she found it, she put it on the burner and turned it on. She opened and closed cabinets constantly until she found what she needed. She toasted and a piece of bread and when she was done, she placed it on the table.
            “So simple?” he questioned and gave a look.
            She turned around on the way to her bedroom. “Yah, what did you say?” she asked. “What did it said in the agreement? There should be a penalty.” She flicked him in the forehead. “That’s the penalty.”
            “Aw!” he yelped, putting his hand on his forehead.
            Jieun walked away to her room, continuing her morning daily routine. She took a quick shower and combed her hair. It took her 15 minutes to change into a white skirt and a short sleeved-hoodie. Once she was done, she took her red backpack, wallet, phone, and iPod with her. She took the sticky note that she wrote the addresses down on and tucked it in her front pocket. When she walked out of her room she saw Yonghwa, getting ready to leave, she ran up to him. “Does it still hurt?”
            “Of course it does!” he exclaimed, offendedly.
            “Well, I kinda need the key to the apartment.”
            “Oh, I guess I forgot to give it to you last night. It’s in my room, on the drawer.”
             “Oh, thanks,” she said, walking to his room. His room was obviously bigger than hers. It had a huge mirror and a bed was bigger than hers. “Whoa,” she said in amazement. She saw the key on a white drawer and took it. A magazine caught her eyes as she picked it up. “Yonghwa’s a model?!” she exclaimed, and quickly realizing that he might not have left yet. She tiptoed out of his room and peeked at the door. She sighed in relief that he wasn’t there. Aish, that was so close she thought to herself. She took another look at the cover of magazine. He didn’t look bad in the cover, in fact he looked charismatic. More charismatic than the time she saw him at the door. How can this guy be the cover of a magazine? she thought to herself. She put the magazine back where it was found and walked out of his room. She made scrambled eggs and put it between 2 pieces of bread to eat on her way out. She put her converse shoes and walked out of the apartment, remembering to lock the door.
            It took her awhile to walk out of the huge neighborhood of apartment building and she got lost 4 times. Once she was out, she looked at the sticky note of her first destination. The photography place. She called a taxi which took her 2 minutes and the taxi driver seemed cruel to her. When she gratefully reached to her destination and paid the driver, he ran off and she left like that. In front of an old photography shop with the words FOTO in front of it.
            This is the place she thought to herself, checking the address. She opened the door and it looked somewhat new and somewhat old, but the people seemed like they know what they’re doing. “I’m here for a part-time job,” she announced. Everyone looked at her and laughed.
            A man lazily sitting down and smoking on a cigarette said, “Do you know how to work a camera?”
            “Not really,” Jieun answered. She knew how to work a digital camera, but not a professional-looking one.
            “Do you know how to edit a photo?”
            “Not really,”
            “Do you know what different lens there are?”
            Jieun kept silent, but shook her head sheepishly.
            “You’re not hired,” he said, bluntly.
            She quickly walked out of the studio and was stopped by a man sitting beside the studio. “Yah,” he called, making Jieun turned around.
            “My mom said I’m not allowed to talk to strangers,” Jieun said, pretending to be a goody-two-shoes. But she was kind of desperate to get a job and maybe luck is about to struck her.
            “You’re looking for a job, right?”
            “Part-time.”
            “Well, I have a friend that can help you.”
            “Is it a modeling job?” Jieun asked, not wanting to meet up with Yonghwa.
            “No way. It’s a painting job,” he said. “Just go straight down the road until you see a stop sign then continue to turn right until you see Ahn’s Painting Studio.”
            “What if I’m not skillful?” Jieun suggested, giving him a sharp eye.
            “You just run errands,” he replied.
            Jieun shrugged and walked down the streets. Should I trust him? I really don’t know him at all, she thought to herself. But what harm will it do when he’s not following and giving the direction. As she walked, it seemed more modern and clean than the area with FOTO. She opened the door to the studio, hearing the bell ring as she walked in. She was greeted by kind people unlike those from FOTO.
            “Are the person that wants to work here that was chosen by my brother,” a man asked, with a smile. He looked somewhat like the guy she met in the streets. Oh, that’s why he told her about this.
            “Well, I do need a job,” she replied, modestly.
            “Good, come in my office,” he instructed.
            Jieun followed him behind. “You’re a painter?” she asked.
            “Not quite,” he answered. “First, have you had any painting experience?”
            “I joined a painting class for 5 years and I join an art class in my school years, but I’m not very skillful since those 5 years,” she said.
            He took out some paint, brushes, and a canvas on a easel. “Show me your ability,” he said, handing her a wooden palette.
            Jieun remembered some youtube videos of painters painting with speed motion of landscapes. She first used the 2 inch background brush to make a sunset color. “Acrylic?” she questioned.
             The man nodded.
            She continued to draw the grass on the bottom a dark shade of green. She drew a 4 trees in black paint the the line brush and branches with it. She remembered what she could from those youtube videos, school, and the 5 years of classes. When she was done with her painting her sunset forest, her hands were all painted with colors and a few marks of paint on her face. “I’m done,” she announced, showing him her artwork. She had to admit, it went better than expected. “Uh wait, why do you need to know my painting ability?”
            The man smirked. “This explains your job for me,” he answered. “You will accept this job no matter the consequences, right?”
            Jieun was desperate for the job so she said yes. “Yeah, of course.”
            “Well, you will be painting for me, Mr Ahn,” he said. “I will promote it with my signature on my name and you will get paid $20.”
            Jieun hesitated for a second. “Isn’t this plagiarizing my work? Do I even get credit for my work?”
            Mr. Ahn sighed. “Sadly no, but you will get paid.”
            “But no one knows who really drew it,” she replied. “That’s plagiarism.”
            “Unless I get your permission to use it. You’ll get paid at the same time,” he added.
            Jieun grunted. She really needed a job and this might be her only choice if that tutoring one doesn’t accept her. “I demand a raise for $50 every 6 months.”
            “Very well,”
            She remembered transportation. Jieun didn’t want to meet that mean taxi driver again. “I want a bike. A really good bike and I’ll need my art supplies. That means paints, brushes, canvas, and an easel.” She added.
            “As long as you work for me.” he said.
            Jieun nodded, having a bad feeling of what she just did, but she needed money. She couldn’t rely on Yonghwa. He’ll probably make her go poor and kick her out of his apartment. She could imagine that clearly. “Fine, I’ll work for you.”
            A couple of minutes passed until she was introduced with her co-workers. Myunghee, Jihye, and Sunghyun who were awfully skilled. Later, Jieun’s art supplies were placed into Myunghee’s car, who was going to take her home. Jieun and Myunghee went shopping for her new bike.
            “You asked for a bike?” Myunghee asked, curiously.
            “I needed transportation,” Jieun replied, reasonably. “I just came to Seoul yesterday.”
            Myunghee nodded. It was really awkward at first, but then they got used to each other after awhile. “Jihye is a nice girl, but sometimes she can turn into a monster. She knows all the gossips about popular people and can be a loud-mouth sometimes, but that doesn’t mean you can’t trust her. Sunghyun likes food a lot and he also has a slight crush on Jihye. As for Mr. Ahn, he can be really mean, but he really like to take other people’s work and make it his.”
            “Then why do you guys work for him?” Jieun asked.
            “Like you, we were desperate for the job,” Myunghee answered with a shrug.
            They found a nice mountain bike. It was simple black and its parts worked well. Plus, it could go really fast. Myunghee used the studio’s credit card to pay for the bike. They laid it in the trunk. Jieun was amazed it fit into it since it also had her painting supplies.
            “Where do you live?” Myunghee asked.
            “Aren’t  we going to the studio?” Jieun questioned.
            Myunghee chuckled. “No, you start your job tomorrow morning at 9:00AM. That’s how Mr. Ahn does it. In the meantime, we can set up your easel wherever you want it to be,” she said, getting into the car and turning on the engine.
             “Alright,” Jieun said, telling the girl the address and getting into the car.
             “You’re rich?” Myunghee questioned in amazement.
            “No way. My roommate is,” Jieun answered. “It’s kind of a long story to tell. He’s pretty arrogant.”
            When they arrived to the apartment, Jieun placed her bike outside of the apartment building and immediately helped Myunghee with her art supplies.
            “What number?” Myunghee asked, carrying the easel.
            “632,” Jieun answered, carrying all the paint, brushes, and canvases. “Do you need help?”
            Myunghee shook her head, going up the second staircase. “I never been into this part of Seoul before.” she said and later going on to the third staircase. It’s so big.”
            “And really white,” Jieun added, walking in front of her to get to the door first and open it. “My room is this way. I guess we can get easel against the wall and near the desk.” She put brushes and paint on the desk, settling the canvases on the tiled floor.
            Myunghee placed it where Jieun wanted it to be. “Who exactly is your roommate?” she asked. Looking around the room.
             “Um, his name is Yonghwa,” she answered, putting a canvas on the easel. She looked around the room, making sure it still had a nice appearance.
             “Yonghwa? Jung Yonghwa? The model?!” She asked, making her eyes look bigger than they really are.
             “Yeah, I just figured out he’s a model,” Jieun answered, leading Myunghee out the door.
              “You’re living with him? Are you his girlfriend?” she asked. “He’s really popular, you know,”
              “No, I’m not his girlfriend. Didn’t I call him arrogant before?” Jieun replied, opening the door.
               Myunghee walked out. “Wait, does-”
               Jieun interrupted. “See you tomorrow at work,” Jieun said, closing the door. She took a breath and slid down. Maybe I should keep Yonghwa a secret, Jieun thought, thinking that he was really popular and I would get many haters.