THE PROMISE

My Senior's Hired Girlfriend

The next morning…

 

“Hi, have you seen Jinwonssi?” Suzy asked Fei.

 

“Hmmm…I last saw him getting his coffee in the vending machine. You can check if he’s still there.”

 

“Thanks Fei eonni!” Suzy half-walked half-ran through the vendo. When she saw Jinwoon drinking his coffee, she shouted, “Yah! Jung Jinwoon!”

 

“Noona! Shhhh…did you forget that we’re inside the building?” Jinwoon said.

 

“This is an employees’ lounge though, I can do whatever I want and besides, there are no other people here aside from us.” She stuck her tongue out.

 

“Alright, alright! So, what’s with the ‘Yah! Jung Jinwoon’, huh?” He mimicked Suzy.

 

“You! You! You jerk! You know about me right from the start!”

 

“Of course! I know you’re Suzy…Bae Suzy. What’s the matter with that?”

 

“I’m not talking about that! You’re Jung Jinwoon! You’re my Woonwoon dongsaeng, aren’t you?”

 

“Woah! Finally! Noona, congratulations! What took you so long on finding that out?” Jinwoon said happily.

 

“You’re really Woonwoon? Are you?” Suzy asked expectantly and when Jinwoon nodded, Suzy was both surprised and happy.

 

“I missed you so much my Woonwoon!!!” Suzy hugged Jinwoon tightly. “How have you been? You’re grown up now but you still have your immature brain with you!” She chuckled.

 

“Noona, I can’t breathe.” Jinwoon said, trying to hide his giddiness.

 

“Oh, I’m sorry. I just really missed you. It’s been fourteen years, right?” She let go of Jinwoon.

 

“Fourteen years, four months and twenty-one days.” Jinwoon corrected her while smiling whole-heartedly.

 

“Woah! I’m too important for you, huh? You can really remember the exact number of days. You’re unbelievable.” Suzy grinned.

 

Jinwoon coughed and said, “No time for reminiscing noona. Office hours, remember?” he then walked pass her nonchalantly.

 

“Aigoo…you’re being shy, huh? See yah later Woonwoon-ah!”

 

“Yah! Stop calling me Woonwoon! Somebody might hear you.”

 

“Oh, so now you’re ashamed of your nickname. Stop calling me noona too!”

 

“Aish! Throwing tantrums again? Alright. Call me anything you want. By the way, I’ll just see you tomorrow, noona. Too busy these past few days.”

 

“Oh, I see. Annyeong Woonwoon dongsaeng. See yah tomorrow. Let’s work hard!” Suzy smiled and waved goodbye.

 

“Bye noona. I’m really happy that you can still remember me.” Jinwoon smiled sincerely and waved back.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

After work…

 

Suzy and Yoseob decided to walk on the park to have some chit-chat and to know more about each other.

 

“You’re not going to believe this!” Suzy started excitedly.

 

“What’s it?” Yoseob looked at her.

 

“Jinwoon and I are childhood friends! Isn’t that great? I thought I’m not going to see him again. It’s been a long time.”

 

“Ahmm, Suzy-ah. Wouldn’t it make a conflict in our plan? I told them that we’re childhood friends, remember?” Yoseob asked worriedly.

 

“Don’t worry. I was just in third grade when he left our town, since then, I haven’t heard anything from him.”

 

“Oh, I see.” He said, his eyes were still on their way.

 

Suzy, walking ahead of Yoseob, was about to cross the street when a motorcycle beat the red light, she was too shocked to see the vehicle coming and wasn’t able to move. The next thing she knew, Yoseob was hugging her tightly, they were already on the other side of the street and were both panting, catching their breaths.

 

“Are you alright?” Yoseob asked worriedly while checking her condition.

 

“I-I-I’m alright. I’m sorry…I’m really sorry. I was so careless.” Suzy suddenly broke out into tears.

 

“Sshhh…don’t cry.” Yoseob can’t explain what he feels, he was too worried and his heart was thumping. “It’s okay, it’s okay. It was that jerk’s fault. You shouldn’t be sorry.” Yoseob hugged her more tightly while her hair. “Come on. Let’s sit over there.” He guided her through the bench.

 

When Suzy calmed down, Yoseob asked her to eat at a nearby restaurant.

 

“Are you sure you’re okay now?” he asked.

 

“Ne. Ahmm…thank you for saving me and I’m sorry for suddenly crying.”

 

“It’s alright, don’t mention it.” Yoseob was still bothered for what happened a while ago. He can’t find a word to describe how he felt that time. He never felt that way before. They were both silent for a moment and out of nowhere, Yoseob asked Suzy, “Suzy-ah, can we make a promise?”

 

“Hmmm? Okay…what is it?” She asked curiously.

 

Yoseob thought for a while, not sure on what to say and suddenly, he asked her, “Let’s not fall in love with each other, ne?”