Do You Remember Me?

Little Stories
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

You know what came to mind when I read this? Me about 60-70 yrs old. Most probably still alone with no one to call my own and no one who calls me theirs. I finally saved up enough money to go on the Asia tour I’ve been dreaming of and I just  got to Seoul.

Everything’s so different from what I used to see on pictures and videos  from thirty years or so ago. Everything’s so foreign and scary but my little 60 year old heart suddenly turns 24 again, beating the same way it did when I  saw my first South Korean romcom movie or music video.

Slowly the feelings came back to me. All those emotions I chose to forget because more than three decades ago I realized I needed to step back and earn my right among those who have jobs and monthly salaries…normal lives…real life. 

But now here I was. Last night I almost got drunk with soju. I had kimchi for lunch and now I’m walking down a deserted aisle of some obscure Korean grocery. I picked up a packet of instant noodles and giggled like the young girl I once was at the Engrish markings. I walked further and found myself in the frozen section. Ice cream I think it says (according to my very limited Hangul-reading skills and blurry eyesight) as I stepped to take a closer look.

Just as I was about to peek in, a man slid in next to me somewhat out of thin air or maybe I was just too preoccupied with seeing ice cream. I really wanted some now that I have it in front of me. He too seemed to be having a hard time identifying which flavor he wanted. There was too much moisture on the glass and neither of use wanted to open the freezer. 

I watched out of the corner of my eyes as he labored over reading the labels . He adjusted his glasses and then pouted. I smiled. He was cute for an old man. Maybe not older than me but he was obviously no teenager. He pouted again and this time I couldn’t help but chuckle a little but quickly stifled it by pretending to clear my throat.

He smirked. The damn man smirked. He made such a cocky half smile that all of the sudden all I wanted was to slap his face and kiss him full in the mouth at the same time.

But really, I’m already sixty and this isn’t the right place for an old woman like me to be acting like the fangirl I was three decades ago…

Then it dawned on me. That pout. His apparent penchant for ice cream. THAT SMUG, SELF-SATISFIED BUT COMPLETELY ADORABLE AND AWKWARD HALF-SMILE. 

Could it be? 

I already gave up on the chance to see him in the flesh after missing out on all their concerts some random years ago. What are the chances that I could finally meet him in so

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter