I shot a fish

The diary of Kim Ryeowook; a human's last days

I blinked as Himang jumped beside me pulling at my arm. Her black hair had fallen in her face making her look a bit scary.

“Someone seems hungry,” Yesung laughed trying to grab the small girl. I nodded laughing as she pouted beside me.

“Fishy and monkey say their hungry, so make us food.” She ordered.

“Can we say please,” Ryeowook asked eyeing the small girl.

“Oppa please make us dinner,” she whimpered making Yesung laugh more as I stood up.

“Alright, tell the guy’s I’ll make us food.” I reply as she rushed from the room.

“She has you whipped.” Yesung managed as he tried to calm down. I smiled, yeah I figured, but she was a kid, I would do anything for a kid. I began to make my way to the exit after Himang, but Yesung’s hand wrapped around my wrist stopping me. I cocked my head to the side; hyung usually never stopped me from leaving.

“Ryeowook, I mean what I said earlier. When you got separated from us I was so afraid. Please, promise hyung you’ll never do that again.” Yesung whispered. I nodded, in reality I could never promise that. There would be a time when we all needed to be separated. Who knew if it wouldn’t be Leeteuk, or one of the others next.

“Yesung hyung, I’ll call you when dinner is ready. I don’t won’t you getting hungry up here by yourself.” I smile. Yesung just smiled before releasing my wrist and allowing me to go fix dinner for the group. As I made my way downstairs, I was assaulted by the other members.

“Ryeowook, Feed us!” Heechul screamed from his perch beside Hankyung.

“Alright hyung, I’m going to cook. What all do we have in rations?” I ask trying to locate the food.

“Just canned food they had here at the base, nothing really yummy.” Kangin replied shoving a list into my hands. I glanced over it with a sigh. He was right, even though they had taken really good notes of the food supply, nothing really did look good for a nice meal. Just corn some random beans and maybe a can of peas.

“I’ll see what I can do.” I promised before entering the kitchen and gathering some of the can’s to feed the sixteen of us. Himang quickly ran to my side with a smile.

“Oppa, guess what.” She beamed at me.

“What?” I asked as I tried to break through the can I now held.

“Eunhyukkie oppa taught me to use a gun.” She laughed making me drop the can and turn to her.

“What, your only six, how can he, who let him, does anyone else know!” I panicked grabbing her arms and examining her for injuries. I only left her alone for a few hours with a building full of men…wait, I left her alone with a base filled with immature men. And ELF’s thought they would make good daddies.

“I am going to strangle EunHae.” I growl before returning to my task of making dinner. Well, we were faced with battling the walking dead. Maybe learning to use a gun was a good thing.

“So oppa, can you show me a few tricks with your gun?” she asked me, swinging her legs back and forth, as she sat on the counter. I blinked, what could I say. A six year old was asking me to show her how to use my gun. A week ago, I would have said no, but now, I don’t know what to say.

“Please oppa, I promise I won’t shoot uncle Hae again.” She pleaded. She had shot Donghae? What the hell was Hyukjae using to teach her?

“Um, may I ask how you shot uncle Hae?” I asked eyeing her as the beans cooked.

“Uncle Hyukkie gave me a bb gun and I hit all the targets but the bullets ricochet and hit uncle Hae.” She explained with a laugh. I shook my head, at least it was only a bb bullet, Hyukkie would have killed her if she had really shot his lover.

“So, I manage that you were an expert shot?” I ask making my way to open the other two cans that made up our dinner. Once again not much to eat.

“Yeah, I made a head shot on all the targets.” She said proudly.  I chuckled, she really was something else.

“I love how you’re so energetic.” I muse before shoving a spoon in the now done beans.

“Not really, I just don’t let things get to me.” She whispered.

“Holding things in is bad for you Himang.” I stated eyeing her with a sad look.

“I know oppa,” she replied before shoving herself off the counter. “But, right now we need to keep an even head. It’s the end of the world. I want to die happy.” She explained making me blink. Was this girl truly six, or was she some older kid trapped in a child’s body?

“You said your parents were workers here at the base?” I asked.

“Yep scientist working on a drug for the army.” She replied.

“Did they ever do anything to you?” I asked making sure to keep our food away so she wouldn’t take it.

“Yep, I’m sure. Umma made sure I was smart enough to stay away from the labs.” Himang smiled making me sigh. So she wasn’t any artificial Ai crazy kid, poor us.

“Yo Wook, I’m hungry haven’t you and the midget made dinner yet?” Kyuhyun asked as he and Sungmin entered the room.

“Kyu be nice, so, Himang, I heard you shot the fish great job.” Sungmin laughed gently punching the girls arm. Himang laughed as she latched onto his arm.

“Yep, he screamed like a girl.” Himang laughed eager to talk about her shooting lesson.

“So Wook, do you want me to keep watch tonight?” Kyu asked me. It was supposed to be my night to keep watch, but due to last night I was still tired.

“Thanks Kyu, I really appreciate it.” I beam before calling the others to eat.

“Wookie oppa, Minnie oppa says you like Yesung oppa.” Himang called breaking me from my task. I blinked in surprise. I didn’t like Yesung, did I?

“Why would he say that?” I asked her. She shrugged before noticing Donghae and Hyukjae enter. She was so easily distracted sometimes, typical six year old. I glanced up at the kitchen door as Yesung walked in shooting me a small smile. I couldn’t help but smile back. Did I like Yesung hyung?