03 : Roll those eyes

Maybe You're The One

 

 Chapter  03  
Roll those eyes.

 

 


(한희정) - 우습지만 믿어야 할

 

 

“So this is the house you’ll be staying at. Quite fancy, huh?” Chanyeol parted the two whitewashed wooden doors, walking inside the house with the three visitors tailing behind him.

 

“Everything has been prepared for you three. The rooms are clean, the bed sheets have been replaced, the kitchen is clean and well-stocked, the bathrooms are disinfected—everything is cleaned!” Chanyeol finally turned around to smile rather widely at the guests.

The two-storey house was already brightly lit when the four had arrived. Looking from outside, you could easily see the huge garden that contained a small water fountain, flowers and plants of different kinds, and a pathway from the gate to the porch.

The interior. Man, the interior.

The house was all white and light brown and gray. The sofas were white, the pillowcases were light brown and the side tables were grey. The styling was modern, with the glass walls and the complicated wall designs. And they’ve only seen the living room. What more if they venture into the kitchen, the rooms and the bathrooms.

Oh my god, the bathrooms!

Baekhyun knew Luhan was well-off but he didn’t expect his best friend to be this freaking rich.

 “So I will explain everything to you briefly since I won’t be able to tour you around this huge beach house since it’s already pretty late and I’m sure we’re all tired. You wouldn’t mind, would you?” Chanyeol asked.

“No, absolutely not!” Tao smiled.

“Okay. So there are 4 bedrooms in the house, all are located upstairs. The biggest one though, the masters bedroom, is off limits. Only families and very close people are allowed inside,” Chanyeol made sure to emphasize the certain part for some reasons unknown before adding, “Luhan’s parents’ strict orders.”

Baekhyun slowly nodded, absorbing everything the creepy guy was babbling.

And then something struck him.

What did he say?

“Wait, Luhan’s….parents?”

Chanyeol nodded and so did Tao. Yixing…..he’s been pretty absorbed in his own little world to even care.

Nothing new, honestly. Yixing can be like this sometimes.

“Yes. Luhan’s parents. My aunt and uncle.” The black-haired creep answered.

“Hasn’t he told you that we’ll be staying in their house, gege?” Tao questioned, blinking at Baekhyun twice.

“No….”

Oh, okay. So like everyone knows it’s Luhan’s house that we’re living in except me? Talk about being  best friends.

Chanyeol simply shrugged and continued, “So as I’ve said earlier, only three rooms are available. I’m sure none of you would have trouble with privacy. I’ll leave the room deciding to yourselves. But I received a message from Luhan just a few minutes ago—“ He paused as he fished out his phone from his pocket and searched for the message in his inbox. “—It says “Baekhyun, that dwarf guy with droopy, puppy eyes is not allowed inside my room no matter what. If it’s highly needed, set up deadly lasers by my door to burn him to ashes, alright, Yeol?” Letting out a small chuckle, since he couldn’t laugh loud normally and offend the visitor, Chanyeol slipped the device back into his front pocket and looked at the three.

Baekhyun, after hearing the message, rolled his eyes and shook his head while the other two beside him, or only Tao as it seemed, tried hard to contain their laughter.

“I’m going to ignore the laser stuff since, as we all know, Luhan can be crazy at times, besides it would cost me too much. By the way, there are 2 bathrooms; 1 upstairs and 1 down here. The kitchen is chock-full as well as the fridge. Don’t worry we bought the foods and stuff only yesterday. Everything’s working fine here but if anything happens or is needed just call me or the hotel and we’ll help you right away. I guess that’s it?”

Chanyeol walked towards the door but turned around as if he still had something to say.

“I almost forgot, I’ll be picking you up tomorrow morning probably around 9 o’clock for a tour around the place and maybe. . . .a little chat and catching up” Chanyeol sent the three a cagey smile but it felt like it was directed only on one person.

Well, at least that was Baekhyun felt.

He didn’t know about Tao.

Nor Yixing. He probably wasn’t even listening.

Ah, this creep is really. . . .creepy.

“See you then.” And the creepy guy was out of the door, leaving two oblivious and puzzled males and one tensed man.

 

“He’s scary.” Baekhyun turned to the two Chinese.

“Don’t be like that, gege. I think he’s quite cute.” Tao defended Chanyeol.

“Cute. Right. He told us to call him yet he didn’t even give his number. What a weirdo.”

Tao chuckled. “Still, he’s pretty cute. Don’t deny that, Baek ge.”

“You know who the real cutie is? That handsome guy from the hotel.”

“Hmm, yeah. He’s good-looking, I admit. Don’t you think so, Yixing ge?”

The two looked over the oldest who hasn’t said a single word ever since Baekhyun’s incident at the hotel.

They got silence as an answer. Baekhyun looked at Tao. Tao looked at Baekhyun. Both shrugged.

Well, someone’s oddly silent.

“Yixing gege?” Tao tried once again, this time waving a hand in front of the overly silent Chinese.

Well, that seemed to have done it.

Finally, the oldest of the three snapped back to reality. He looked up and met the two’s confused stares.

“Ah,” Yixing started, “Yeah, um.” Apparently, he didn’t know what they’re talking about.

“I’m. . . .kinda tired. You won’t mind if I go up first, right? I’ll take Luhan’s room.” His voice was weak and close to a whisper.

Baekhyun and Tao guessed that he really was worn out. It had been a long from the hotel to the beach house anyway. They could’ve just ridden the car Luhan rented for them but that old, ignorant ahjussi had already left them.

“Yeah, sure. I think Luhan would like it best if it’s you who’d room in his territory.”

Yixing was clean and organized. He’s responsible as well. Even though he sometimes can be forgetful and sluggish. Only sometimes though.

“Okay, thanks. I’ll be go up now.” With a last small, forced smile, Yixing walked away from the two, probably to find the staircase, leaving two puzzled guys and his luggage and stuff downstairs.

Baekhyun blinked while Tao scratched his head.

“What’s with him?” Baekhyun asked.

“I don’t know. He’s been like that ever since your. . . .incident with the cute guy back at the hotel.”

Suddenly remembering about his misfortune, Baekhyun grumbled loudly, which made the taller Chinese to giggle at him.

“But seriously, something’s up with Yixing gege.” Tao went back to the topic after having enough of the smaller’s grumbling and fake gagging noises. “He forgot to bring his stuff with him.”

Baekhyun shrugged. “Let him be for now. He’s probably just really, super tired. I am actually planning on leaving my stuff here for the night. I’m too lazy and they’re too heavy.” Tao nodded silently.

Luhan would hear an earful from Baekhyun tomorrow. For throwing him out of his house (apartment, actually), for forcing him into an un-wanted vacation, for making him bring his whole closet (and all his drawers) with him to this place, for not filling him in with complete, accurate details and for. . . . being cousins with that freaky, creepy guy.

“What time is it by the way. . .” Baekhyun trailed off as he stuffed both his hands into his front pant pockets in search for his phone, then he proceeded to do the same to his back pockets. His phone was not in any of the pockets.

Strange, Baekhyun tsked.

He’s sure he’s been holding his phone since earlier and if he’d put it anywhere, it’d be his pockets.

Oh well, maybe it’s just in one of my bags, Baekhyun thought, concluding he’d perhaps forgotten putting the device in one of his bags.

Tao, meanwhile Baekhyun was searching, help up his right arm to look at his wristwatch.

“9:33 PM. Not yet time for bed, I guess. Shall we have a tour around the house, ge?” Tao grinned at Baekhyun in a persuading way, “Yes, ge? Yes? Yes?”

Now this is the weird thing with Baekhyun and the ‘crazy-ones’, yes, he avoids them or rolls his eyes sarcastically at their lameness but when they put on those smiles and look at him with those eyes, he just couldn’t help but give in and smile back at them.

Especially Tao. Baekhyun just wouldn’t admit it fully but Tao really has this effect on him.

“Sure.”

The two started to walk around and Tao started being the noisy, over-excited, over-talkative kid while Baekhyun just smiled as he nodded at the younger’s words, sometimes nodding and sometimes laughing silently to himself.

“Okay, so you saw Yixing hyung disappear to nowhere right after he excused himself, right? I swear, the interior decorators Luhan’s parents got were geniuses. I mean, look! Wooow! How did the stairs end up here? Look at the carvings, ge! What are these? Woah, oh my gosh. How did Yixing ge find this, I’ll never know. Oh my, just look at all these jars! Have I told you my mom loves collecting jars from different countries? I think Luhan’s mom and mine would get along well! Oooh, this sofa is sooo soft and comfy. . .”
 

 

 

--

 

 

Only his light footsteps and the rapid beatings of his heard were what Yixing could register in his head.

In fact, he was too dazed and out of it to even notice that he had already reached the second floor, walking down the hallway, passed the first bedroom door. . . .second. . . .third. . .and now was in front of the bedroom door that Luhan assigned him.

Luhan did not directly say it personally nor through the text but Yixing knows Luhan well.

He knows Luhan’s ways very well.

He stood there for a minute or two. Unmoving. Still. Just like his gaze on the knob of the room.

 

 

 

--

 

 

 

Baekhyun loves writing.

He really does.

It’s like eating or drinking or breathing or pissing. He couldn’t live without it. He always brings his notebook with him whenever, wherever. He couldn’t really count how many notebooks he’d bought and used. It was too much to count.

Just like the countless ideas and thoughts that would pop inside his little, but filled up brain.

Back in the days, when everything was still fine and alive, Baekhyun would just simply sit down with his grandma, listen to her talk and tell him stories of her childhood and encounters with life. She was a wonderful woman.

Full of happiness to spread, stories to tell, and love to give. She was Baekhyun’s inspiration. His muse.

Oh, she also sang very well. He remembered how beautiful and soothing her voice is.

Especially when Baekhyun’s head was on her lap, her fingers softly through the young writer’s hair. She’d sing him those old romantic songs. Sometimes lullabies when she notices how her dear grandson is tiring himself out with things and needing lots of sleep.

He guessed he got his singing voice from his grandma. He’s really happy with that.

He blames – or thanks – his mother for his writing skills. His mother was a renowned author slash novelist slash writer slash journalist slash poet slash—ugh, there are so many things she’d done in terms of writing.

He could still remember how much stress he got due to the teachers’ high expectations of him regarding academics because of his famed mother. Their expectations were so high; they entered Baekhyun into essay writing contests out of school, made him write speeches for formal events in school and a whole lot more.

Oh yes, he blamed his mom alright.

If it weren’t for her constant tutoring sessions with Baekhyun when he was still little and heedless to the world then Baekhyun wouldn’t have experienced those arduous things and wouldn’t have been loved so much yet hated greatly in school.

But also, if it weren’t for her early lessons, Baekhyun wouldn’t have received those awards and trophies and medals from many contests and recognitions.

So, maybe he’s also thankful to her for teaching him.

She taught Baekhyun to treasure the things he loves. Never let go easily. Never give up easily. Be patient. And fight for the ones that matter.

Baekhyun had absorbed all of those.

That is why as of this morning, hell is dangerously about to break loose because Baekhyun couldn’t locate his notebook (notebooks, actually) anywhere inside his bags and his notebooks are the things he treasure and love the most out of any of his possessions and god please no.

He’d rummaged through every bag, luggage, carry-on he had with him but no. There was none. Not even a single sheet of paper. Those notebooks were important! He couldn’t lose any of those. Important things are written inside those and Baekhyun couldn’t just. . . .

He’s about to have a mental breakdown.

Okay, calm down. Breathe. Yes. They should just be in any of my—But they’re not! They’re somewhere else. I have to find them. I’ll lose my sanity if I don’t.

Baekhyun pinched the bridge of his nose lightly while walking back and forth the bedroom.

Where could it be? Where could I have put it in?

 

It was already morning. Tao and Yixing were already downstairs. They’ve called Baekhyun many times now and all the Korean would reply was, “Just a minute!”

Today was the day of the ‘tour’ and since Baekhyun would go sight-seeing he thought that he might as well try to get himself inspired. Surely, there are a lot of inspiring sights around this resort.

The faster he finishes a story or two, the faster he’d get home and kick Luhan’s .

But it seemed that the whole try-to-get-inspired-and-finish-something deal would be impossible to obtain as of now because his tools are missing.

Just as he was searching through his bags for probably the sixth time now, Baekhyun heard a very annoying sound.

His stomach. It was grumbling and asking for food.

I couldn’t work in search with an empty stomach. Sighing, he stood up and finally made his way out of the door after an hour of attempting to find his notebooks.

 

 

--

 

 

“Finally, you decided to join us.”

Baekhyun rolled his eyes as he sat down on a chair. “You sound like a teacher, Yixing hyung.”

The writer looked at today’s breakfast hungrily. Bacon, eggs, soup and lots of Yixing’s cooking.

Now, aside from being responsible, neat and organized, Yixing was also a great cook. He cooks edible, and delicious food, unlike Luhan.

 He’s often teased about it and called umma, mama, and mom by their friends (including Baekhyun as well, of course).

“Looks delicious,” Baekhyun commented as he helped himself with the dishes.

“Of course! Yixing ge made this so everything here is surely yummy.” Tao nodded and grinned.

Yixing just laughed. “It’s just breakfast. Anyone could cook these foods.”

Baekhyun and Tao shook their heads and replied in sync, “Not us.”

Yixing laughed once again, this time shaking his head.

Baekhyun secretly smiled in relief. Good to see Yixing back to his old, happy self.

 

 

 

--

 

 

He’d given up. After one more hour of trying to find the precious notebooks, Baekhyun had finally decided to give up.

Now he was seated on the white sofa with arms crossed and a pout visible on his face. He’s finished preparing and now he’s only waiting for the tour guide to come.

And for the two to hurry their butts up.

And maybe for his notebooks to magically appear out of nowhere. His babies.

“Are you two done yet?” He yelled out, loud enough for the two to hear.

“Almost!”

“Wait a sec!”

Baekhyun sighed. Hurry up, slowpokes.

 

 

--

 

 

At last, the two were finished preparing. Now they’re only waiting for their 37 minutes late tour guide.

At the sound of the doorbell ringing, Baekhyun rolled his eyes. About time he shows up.

Baekhyun really hated tardiness. Add in his grumpiness due to his missing notebooks. Not so enjoyable company.

Yixing bit his lip and sighed soundlessly as Tao stood up to open the door.

A panting, grinning, black-haired guy was in front of the youngest among the three.

“Hah. . . .Hi. Sorry, I’m late! I just. . .slept in. . .could you give some water, please?”

Baekhyun rolled his eyes at the lameness while Tao hurried off to the kitchen to fetch the panting guy some water. He went back quickly and handed the glass to the guy.

After gulping the whole glass down, Chanyeol sighed and leaned against the doorframe.

An awkward silence followed right after Tao went back to the kitchen to put the glass to the sink.

Chanyeol stared at the two busy individuals sitting on the sofas. How rude! No one even invited him in!

Tao got back to the living room with a chuckle. “Are you okay now, hyung?”

Chanyeol nodded and smiled. “Yes, thank you.” Well, at least someone is kind enough.

“So. . . .shall we start the tour now?”

Hoo-ray, Baekhyun cheered in his head.

With the energy of a person with no sleep for days.

 

 


A/N: WHat is this sorcery. This looked way longer in Word! 

Hey guys. Told you we'd see in another century again.

I changed the font style by the way. Tell me if you prefer the older one more or not.

Editing? Proof-reading? What are those? OTL