Request #4: Took One for the Team

La Vie en Papier [BUSY / FINISHING REQUEST / OPEN ONLY FOR & NON- REQUESTS]

For: shin_yuwen29
Pairing: HyeSung/OC, ChilHyun
Length: 5,396 words

 


 

HyeSung decides that he’s going to go to Jeju Island. This would be all fine and dandy, except he decides he’s going to stay at ChilHyun’s house. This would also be fine and dandy, as ChilHyun has a spare bedroom for all the unwelcomed intruders that stop by, except HyeSung chooses not to warn ChilHyun beforehand. This would also be fine and dandy, except HyeSung arrives at night and ChilHyun refuses to answer the door because he isn’t expecting anyone and it’s an unholy hour. So HyeSung, after analyzing the situation, decides the best plan of action is to wake ChilHyun’s neighbor up and sneak through their connected side door to ChilHyun’s room. Nothing would’ve gone wrong had HyeSung then introduced himself, but he doesn’t and instead ChilHyun sees an unknown man in his kitchen making himself a spam, egg, and cheese sandwich in the middle of the night when he wakes up to go the bathroom.

“I’m sorry officer; it was really just a misunderstanding.” ChilHyun murmurs, looking down at the ground and shielding his eyes because a) the lights are too bright and b) this is all very, very embarrassing.

“Let me get this straight. Your friend is visiting you, decides to sneak into your apartment and make himself a sandwich so you mistake him for a burglar and break his nose with a frozen cabbage.” Officer Shim repeats, and ChilHyun doesn’t need to look up to know he’s being judged.

“This isn’t just any sandwich.” HyeSung snaps, his pride hurt, and it comes out sounding like ‘nish isnint nust annnnnne shandwinch’ because his left arm is holding an ice pack to his bloodied nose. His right hand is holding a blue and white floral plate with the star of the show—a spam, egg, and cheese sandwich.

“Oh, really?” Officer Shim replies sarcastically, laughing.

“Now, this is an-”

“Lemme see.” Officer Shim interrupts, grabbing the sandwich in his hand and takes an enormous bite that cuts a half-life from the sandwich. “Oh, you’re right, this is really good.” He nods, chewing sloppily.

“Hey-” HyeSung cries, but ChilHyun throws a pillow at his face. He doesn’t need this conversation to go on any longer than it needs to.

“Okay, this has been very fun and all, but here it goes.” Shim starts. “You…” He points at ChilHyun. “Need to go live by deaf neighbors or stop sounding like terrorist war cries. And get better friends. Though he does make a good sandwich. That’s all.” Officer Shim nods, standing and leaving with the sandwich. When ChilHyun hears the apartment door slam, he turns to glare at HyeSung.

“You come to my apartment in the middle of the night, make a sandwich in my kitchen, drop a knife on yourself and scare the crap out of my neighbors, and then scream like a banshee when I hit you in the nose?! What are you doing?!”

“It’s not as bad as you make it sound.” HyeSung comments. “I mean look at my situation—I spend all that time making a nice sandwich and that policeman just eats it!”

“I have no credibility with my neighbors and your hospital bill to pay!” ChilHyun shrieks. “And probably some other fines my landlord will come up with and there’s the fact I have class at seven tomorrow!”

“Um…” HyeSung trails off, before shrugging and patting ChilHyun on the shoulder. “Happens.”

ChilHyun throws a pillow at HyeSung’s face. “Go to sleep or go exist somewhere else, I can deal with you later.” He groans, sighing and sluggishly dragging himself back to bed.

“Good night!” HyeSung calls, to no reply, and sits there for a while, wondering what he’s supposed to do.

Peeking to make sure ChilHyun’s not looking, he quietly tip-toes into the kitchen to make another sandwich.

To take revenge on Officer Shim, it’ll be even better than the first one.

 

 

 

“You’re… who are you?” HyeSung asks, his voice going from elated to depressed in half a second.

“Um, who are you?”

“Ugh, wrong door!” HyeSung cries, before slamming the door in the four strangers’ faces. He’s about to walk back to the TV, when the doorbell rings again and he sighs, but begrudgingly answers it. “You again.”

“Doesn’t ChilHyun live here? Did he move out?”

“Oh, are you ChilHyun’s friends or something? I can’t believe he managed to make any…” HyeSung comments.

“Um… yeah. I’m HeeJoon, and these are JaeWon, WooHyuk, and SeungHo. You are…?”

“I’m HyeSung. ChilHyun’s best friend.”

“Oh, did you move in?” JaeWon asks, raising an eyebrow.

“No, I’m just here for summer vacation. HyeSung shrugs. “You want to come in? I made ChilHyun go buy me ramen since he broke my nose.”

“Oh… um…”

“We’re coming.” WooHyuk nods, smiling. If there’s soon to be food, nothing is making him leave.

 

“So is he your cousin or your best friend?” HeeJoon asks for what seems to be the fifth time.

“He’s both.”

“He can’t be both. Family can’t be best friend. The tecnnicalities-”

“Dude, who cares about the technicalities.” WooHyuk rolls his eyes. “Just let him tell the freaking story.”

“Well then.” HeeJoon huffs, rolling his eyes, but shushes nevertheless.

“So the three times I tried to ask him why he was here he started screaming at me about breaking his nose and buying him ramen, so I called his brother and apparently he just went through a really nasty breakup with his girlfriend and decided to just drop everything and leave for the summer.” ChilHyun sighs, shaking his head. HyeSung had just left to go buy toiletries and other necessities, insisting he could do it alone, and the other five had been left at home, finishing ramen and absentmindedly leaving a Starcraft tournament on the TV in the background.

“His classes get out early.” JaeWon comments. “We still have two months left.”

“He does too, his classes actually get out later, but he just dropped everything and left.” ChilHyun sighs.

“Do you know why they broke up?” SeungHo asks, slurping up the last bit of ramen and tossing the bowl like a Frisbee in the trash. Luckily, it makes it. “Did they cheat or something? It must’ve been really bad.”

“He said it was just a bunch of little things and it all started when they were arguing over what movie to watch at the theatre.” ChilHyun rolls his eyes. “I don’t even…”

“You never know, love does stupid things.” SeungHo points out.

“No, people do stupid things and use love as an excuse.” HeeJoon snaps. “What are you going to do about him?”

“I have to get him back for finals, he can’t just fail sophomore year.” ChilHyun explains. “But I don’t know how; if he won’t even talk about it I can’t bring it up or it’ll just piss him off.”

“Well, tell us if we can help.” JaeWon shrugs. “Good luck I guess.”

“Thanks.”

 

 

 

“Ow!” ChilHyun hisses, grabbing his ankle and dropping his water-bottle as he examines the damage. He looks up to see a young woman, looking a lot less apologetic than he’d like her to look, walking the snappy Yorkshire Terrier that had ruined his ankle.

“Sorry.” She responds, clearly not apologetic at all. “My dog’s a bit hyper today.”

“Yeah, don’t worry about it.” He groans, standing up. The cut’s deep, but he’s not too far from home and it shouldn’t be that bad.

“Give me your cell phone.” She continues, holding out her hand, and he raises an eyebrow.

“Huh?”

“I don’t want you to sue me if it gets infected or something dumb like that. Call me if there’s actually anything wrong or whatever.” She replies, holding out her hand.

“It’s fine.” ChilHyun shakes his head. “The bite’s not that bad.”

“So you’re going to sue me?”

“No, I just said it was fine.”

“So you’re going to sue me.”

“No! You don’t need to pay for anything.”

“If you’re not going to sue me then give me you number.”

“Fine. Here.” ChilHyun sighs, handing over his phone and figuring he can chase her down if she steals it.

She returns it moments later, and he shrugs, checking the entry.

Park SeungWon
+82-64-731-1000

 

 

 

“Hey, you know the HyeSung thing?” HeeJoon mentions, and ChilHyun looks up from his noodles.

They’re at an udon shop finishing their Public Relations homework, a regular Thursday evening occurrence, and HyeSung is with some friends he made at a nearby café. More eating gets done than actual Public Relations, but neither really mind because come on now—it’s udon.

“Hm?”

“You should find him a new one.”

“A new one?”

“A new girlfriend. So he can get over the old one and he’ll go back, and it’ll be fine.”

“If he gets a girlfriend here, I don’t think he’ll want to leave.” ChilHyun replies after a while, brooding over the solution.

“Have you thought of anything else?”

“No, not really.” ChilHyun sighs.

“Then give it a shot. If this fails, nothing changes. If it doesn’t, then he’ll go back and you’ll have saved his occupational future.” HeeJoon replies, jabbing every syllable with his chopsticks for emphasis.

“I… I guess.” ChilHyun shrugs. “But how would I pick a girl? If it’s the wrong one he’ll probably have a mental breakdown again or something.”

“Ask him what his old girlfriend was like.”

“Because that worked out so well for them both, right?”

“No, because you’ll know what he basically likes. They did just end up breaking up over a fight.” HeeJoon points out. “So somebody like her, but different, should do the trick. Will he talk about his fiasco yet?”

“No, not at all. But… I could just call his brother again.” ChilHyun shrugs, pulling out his cell phone and dialing quickly.

“Speaker phone!” HeeJoon demands, sliding his chair over so they’re both hovered over the device, patiently waiting.

“Hey? ChilHyun?” They hear through the phone, and HeeJoon jabs ChilHyun in the side, impatient for his reply.

“Yeah, JunJin?”

“Yep. Whataya want?”

“Your brother’s ex-girlfriend, what was she like?” ChilHyun replies, and HeeJoon slaps him on the head.

“You can’t be that blunt!” HeeJoon hisses into ChilHyun’s ear, but the latter just shoves HeeJoon off and listens carefully.

“Um… her name was SeungWon, Park SeungWon. She was really short and he was always annoying her about getting highlights or doing something to her hair.” JunJin replies. HeeJoon grabs his bowl of udon, slurping quietly as ChilHyun continues talking.

“Her personality, what was her personality like?”

“She was sarcastic and blunt. And annoying. I hated her, she was actually really mean to me.” JunJin replies. “She drove me insane, seriously. I was so happy when they broke up.”

“JunJin!”

“It’s the truth! And she had this evil spirit with her that she passed off as a dog that bit everybody besides HyeSung because it’s a two-faced demon.” JunJin mutters.

“Um… alright then. See you, thanks, bye.” ChilHyun hangs up. “Wow, I’m not surprised they broke up.”

“Well, everyone has their tastes.” HeeJoon shrugs. “I don’t know any spawns of Satan to offer him though. Do you?”

“I don’t- wait…”

“That was a joke. Don’t call-”

“There was this girl I met when I was running and her dog bit me.” ChilHyun starts, digging through her phone contacts.

“Oh, yeah, match made in heaven. Too bad she’s a stranger.” HeeJoon rolls his eyes.

“No, she gave me her name and number.”

“Wow, are you really that lonely? That you’d settle for that?” HeeJoon laughs. ChilHyun ignores him.

“She wanted to make sure I wouldn’t sue her if something got… dude! It’s the same chick! It’s the same chick!” ChilHyun shrieks, catching the attention of everyone within a three-table radius, much to HeeJoon’s dismay.

“Dude, shut up!” HeeJoon hisses, covering ChilHyun’s mouth, so everything the man says ends up coming out as grunts and everyone’s now shooting them even more suspicious glares. ChilHyun takes the hint and calms down, practically shoving his phone in HeeJoong’s face.

“Look! She’s the same girl!”

“There’s no way she’s the same girl. SeungWon isn’t that uncommon, and if you ever meet someone on the street and you call them Park you’re probably right.” HeeJoon reasons.

“But she was unapologetic and mean and she had an evil dog! And she had long black hair too.”

“I’m sure there are plenty of spawns of Satan on this planet.”

“With the exact same name? And hair? And dog? That I know of?” ChilHyun continues.

“Okay, okay, maybe it’s her. Then what are we going to do?” HeeJoon begins thinking, grabbing another bowl of noodles and starts slurping.

“I’ll just lock them in a bathroom or something and-”

“Okay, stop. First of all, bathrooms are locked on the inside.” HeeJoon replies.

“That’s not the point. I’ll lock them somewhere and tell them to work out their differences. Happily ever after, HyeSung doesn’t fail out of school!” ChilHyun cheers.

“Uh, or they hate each other even more and both end up living off government aid in a cardboard box.” HeeJoon replies. “No, this is what we’re going to do. You’re going to date this SeungWon chick, and HyeSung’s going to get jealous. Bam! They get all lovey-dovey and they’re back together.”

“HeeJoon.” ChilHyun deadpans. “Did you not hear what JunJin just called SeungWon? How am I supposed to date that?! You do it! Make WooHyuk do it, it’s weird if I’m his cousin and dating her. Make JaeWon ask her out, he’s the magnae, it should just be his obligation.” ChilHyun replies.

“Don’t be dumb, take one for the team.” HeeJoon snorts. “Besides, how does that even make sense? If another guy dated her, he can’t just constantly bring her around HyeSung and make it normal. What am I supposed to do, introduce her to you and JaeWon a million times? That doesn’t even make sense.”

“But… I… How am I supposed to woo her? If I make her fall in love with me for HyeSung’s benefit, it’s a little cruel, isn’t it?”

“Then pretend to date her.” HeeJoon shrugs.

“Do you hear yourself? How am I supposed to get her to pretend to date me? Pay her? ion is illegal in Korea.”

“Why am I doing all the thinking here?! Come up with something on your own.” HeeJoon retorts, slurping on more udon.

“I… wait. I’ll tell her… this is… for school? She’s ditching school too, right? I’ll tell her I’m doing a project on how married couples manage their finances differently… and… it’ll be worth extra credit hours… and…” ChilHyun trails off. When he look at HeeJoon, the man flings a noodle in his face.

“Yeah, maybe we should leave the thinking to me.” He rolls his eyes, tossing the empty bowl on the table. ChilHyun looks down to resume eating, and find that his bowl’s gone.

“You ate my food too?! I’m starving! And you got my soup over all my homework eating my noodles!”

“Happens. I’ll come up with something for you though, don’t worry. This is going to be fool-proof.”

 

 

 

“…and it’s worth extra credit hours… and…” ChilHyun trails off, shoving HeeJoon’s face into a couch because the man can’t stop giggling.

“What? Really?! Yeah, sure, I’ll text you my address and we’ll work out the details and hours later. Bye.” ChilHyun says, snaps the phone shut, and releases HeeJoon, who’s face is completely red.

“She’s so dumb! You’re actually like the worst liar ever!” HeeJoon chortles, clutching his stomach and actually falling off a couch. “Could you sound any more nervous? Because I don’t think that’s possible.”

“Whatever, it worked.” ChilHyun sighs. 

“What worked?” HyeSung comes out of his room, sleepy.

“Your cousin finally got the nerve to ask a girl out.” HeeJoon replies immediately, wiggling his eyebrows.

“WHAT?!” HyeSung cries, running over and decides beating ChilHyun up is the appropriate thing to do. “Over the phone? That’s a bit lame though.”

“Hey, it worked.” HeeJoon shrugs, laughing.

“Who is this girl? One of your college friends?” HyeSung pries, wiggling his eyebrows. “Did you take a class for her? How old is she? How long have you been a loser watching her?”

“Not that long.” ChilHyun laughs nervously. “I just met her actually, but she seems really nice and I really like her.”

“Bring her over tomorrow. I’ve been shamelessly awaiting the day when I can finally expose all of your dark secrets.” HyeSung cackles, curling his fingers as he heads to the kitchen.

“I don’t-” ChilHyun starts, but is silenced by a pillow to the face by HeeJoon.

“The sooner he blows up, the sooner they’ll be happy again.” HeeJoon hisses, socking him in the arm for good measure and ChilHyun sighs.

HyeSung should worship the ground he walks on after this, because this sounds like it’s going to be way more stressful and time-consuming than he expected.

 

 

 

“What are you doing here?!” HyeSung and SeungWon cry simultaneously when he opens the door and finds her standing behind ChilHyun.

“To get away from you!” SeungWon screeches back, crossing her arms.

“Well exc-”

“Uh… I just went and picked her up.” ChilHyun answers, eyeing the two with glee. “Do you… know each other?”

“No!” SeungWon cries immediately, and HyeSung flinches at the hostility.

“Then… why were you getting away from him?”

“It’s… a… something we say in Seoul. You probably don’t do it over here in Jeju-do. But whenever someone says ‘what are you doing here?!’ we always reply ‘to get away from you!’ and whenever someone says ‘who are you?!’ we always reply ‘I hate you!’.” SeungWon explains.

“…”

“It’s a cultural thing. For the youth. At Seoul University.” SeungWon continues babbling. “We act  like we hate each other but we actually love each other so to further show the love we add more hate so it’s like we’re super negative and when you take the absolute value we’re super positive and yeah…” She trails off, and it’s dead silent for a few moments before ChilHyun decides to push them a little further.

“Oh! You go to Seoul University too? My cousin goes there as well. What do you study?” ChilHyun asks, ushering SeungWon in his apartment and closing the door behind her.

“Um… I’m in the pre-med program.”

“Really? My cousin is too! HyeSung, this is SeungWon, and SeungWon, this is HyeSung! Maybe you guys can keep in touch after you guys go back to school next year.” ChilHyun laughs.

“Probably not.” HyeSung murmurs, sadly, and ChilHyun puts his hand on SeungWon’s back to lead her into the kitchen. He takes note of how HyeSung can’t take his eyes off his hand, and laughs to himself.

They’re so obvious.

 

“Hey, you’re not asleep.” HyeSung greets, tapping on ChilHyun’s door and the latter rolls over.

“No, trying to though. What’s up?”

“Do you have a minute?”

“Or twenty.” ChilHyun chuckles. “Out with it, what’s up?”

“What do you see in SeungWon?” HyeSung asks, settling down in a spinney chair ChilHyun has at his desk.

“Hm? Give me a minute.” ChilHyun sighs, burrowing into his pillow.

He knows nothing about SeungWon—absolutely nothing. The only conversation they’ve had was about how married couples pay taxes differently, and then there was that one disaster when ChilHyun had invited them both over for dinner. They had spent the entire night glaring at each other and making snide comments, and ever other second HyeSung would look either pissed or like a kicked puppy. He also had to spend the entire night saving the secret, because there was no way he could let HyeSung find out they weren’t actually dating. All he has to go on is JunJin’s analysis of her spawn of Satan-ness, so he figures he’ll try to spin that in a nice way.

“She’s very blunt. She’s very honest, so I can trust whatever she says, and she’s not manipulative. Because I don’t have to interpret a lot of body-language and stuff it’s very relaxing to be around her.” ChilHyun spews out, wondering just how cheesy that sounds. People in love say dumb things all the time, he figures, so it should be fine. Unfortunately, HyeSung doesn’t respond for another few moments, long moments, and when he looks over he sees his cousin with clenched fists.

“Don’t you think you’re being a little too surface-level?” HyeSung responds finally, and ChilHyun can hear the tension in his voice.

“Hm?”

“Maybe SeungWon’s acting strong, but deep inside she’s actually really insecure because everyone thinks she’s smart because she studies all the time and thinks she’s naturally pretty because she was born with nice skin and is actually really insecure and stresses a lot about those expectations?”

“Um-”

“Maybe she looks all strong and blunt on the outside but she’s really just scared that someone will find out that she’s not actually perfect so she just has trouble making friends and becoming close to people?”

“But-”

“Maybe she’s really just-”

HyeSung, even if all your maybes are correct… I’ve only been dating her for three days.” ChilHyun chuckles awkwardly, a bit afraid the man will actually hurt something. “Right now, we’re just getting to know each other. Besides, they’re just maybes. You can’t know.”

“Right.” HyeSung breathes out, the exhale long and ragged. “I can’t know. They’re just maybe’s. Goodnight, sorry for bothering you.” HyeSung mutters, leaving without even looking ChilHyun in the eye and slamming the door behind him.

He apologizes the next day with a spam, egg, and cheese sandwich left on ChilHyun’s desk the next morning.

It’s a nice gesture, but ChilHyun swears there’s a bite mark at the edge of his cheese slice.

He doesn’t check though. Ignorance is bliss.

 

 

 

ChilHyun decides he needs to go on an actual date with SeungWon, not just hang out with her when he knows HyeSung will be at his apartment. He needs to do something to make them friends, something that will set HyeSung off, and something that will ultimately gain her trust so they can move to the final stage of this plan. He doesn’t really know how to woo a girl, as his one girlfriend during high school had been a mutual time-wasting strategy, but he figures you can’t not love someone who buys you food.

So they go out to breakfast.

“Explain to me why we need to do this again.” SeungWon sighs, watching ChilHyun practically inhale his pancakes. “It’ll get me through the Heimlich maneuver and seeing you gag all that up.”

“Oh, sorry.” ChilHyun laughs. “Whenever I eat with the guys they’re always stealing stuff so I eat quickly to make sure they don’t.”

“Right.” She nods absentmindedly, turning her attention back to her hamburger.

How anyone can eat a hamburger at six o’clock in the morning is beyond him.

“But this is for the presentation part of this assignment. Because there’s a visual part… and yeah.”

“Whatever. Does it count for hours?”

“It goes to the grade?”

“Whatever. We’ll talk about this later; my mind doesn’t work in the morning. Nothing makes sense.” SeungWon sighs, biting into the burger. ChilHyun smiles at his luck, because looking back at the really lousy story he spun about this being credit there’s no way she would’ve believed him. It was just luck—that her brain was tired and that she really needed to do everything since she seemed to be skipping finals.

“Well, tell me about yourself.” He shrugs, trying to eat slowly and taking a few sips of his coffee.

“Excuse me?”

“It’s awkward if we don’t know each other, right? So tell me about yourself.” He shrugs, figuring if he cuts his pancakes up then he’ll be more inclined to eat slower. ChilHyun does just that.

“… What do you want to know?”

“What do you want me to know?”

“I don’t want to just ramble on! You’ll get bored.”

“Just say something!” ChilHyun groans. He doesn’t see how HyeSung and this girl could’ve had proper conversations. “What’s your favorite band?”

“You’ve never heard of them.” She retorts. ChilHyun tries not to mutter anything too offensive under his breath.

“Try me.”

“Mayday?” She pries, raising an eyebrow. His own shoot up immediately.

“The Taiwanese rock band?!”

“You’ve heard of them?”

“I thought I was the only one who knew they existed over here.” ChilHyun laughs, genuinely surprised. “HyeSung hates them, I guess he just got it in my head.”

“I know, right?! He-”

“Oh, you know HyeSung?” ChilHyun interrupts, not wanting her to give herself away just yet. There’s a grand finale he spent too long planning last night, and there is no way it’s getting ruined.

“N-no. He just looked like the type to not like them. He looks just like my sister. My sister hates them.” SeungWon denies immediately.

This is too easy.

 

“You’re joking me. You have to be. How old are you again?! Like 30?!” ChilHyun cries, so horrified he stands up. He will not share a seat, or a park bench in this case, with someone like this.

“You’re acting like I have the bubonic plague or something.” SeungWon rolls her eyes, throwing a twig at him. “I’m 20. Not that old.”

“But you may as well be five. I learned to ride a bike when I was five.” ChilHyun retorts, still shocked and feeling a little uneasy about the entire situation now.

“Well I’m not you.”

“Still, this is unacceptable! How can you call yourself a Korean?! We’re going to teach you how to ride a bike today.” ChilHyun decides, grabbing her wrist and making his way to the rental center.

“That’s really unnecessary. I’m probably really bad. You’ll just end up annoyed.” SeungWon protests, trying to pry her wrist free.

“I’ve always wanted to teach a girlfriend how to ride a bike. I guess I’ll practice on you.” He shrugs, and continues dragging her.

She ends up picking out a blue bike, a pretty pastel blue, and nags him into letting her take a few test runs on training wheels. He wonders how she’s not embarrassed because he’s too ashamed to even lift his head at the sight and cuts her two time around the sidewalk around a tree down to one. ChilHyun gets her to hang on to him first as he rides, and when she’s able to stop screaming he gets off and lets her try on her own, a process that takes a good two hours. She falls, numerous times, more out of fear than actual physical weakness put with a good solid push and frightened euphoria she manages to start pedaling. A little past lunch time she’s managed to ride on her own.

“This is actually working!” SeungWon laughs, spinning around.

“I feel like a successful father.” ChilHyun jokes, pretty proud as he watches her zip around the park.

Her black hair waves gently behind her as she zooms around the park, inertia driving the wind running through it. She’s laughing, her normal eyes, not too small originally, curling up into bright crescents as she cackles and pedals furiously. Her smile is repressed, restrained, but still enough to make her glow and ChilHyun grows curious—what’s holding her back. ChilHyun freezes as he catches himself staring and turns away, even the slightest hint sending a harrowing shiver down his spine.

She didn’t know how to ride a bike; she is a Mayday fan.

He has to finish this before he can’t anymore.

“Hey, SeungWon! A bunch of friends around here are getting together tonight for a drink, do you wanna come? You’ll meet them as payback for the time I spent teaching you how to ride that thing!”

 

 

 

“Took you long enough, the chick got here before you did.” JaeWon smirks as ChilHyun sits down. The latter tries to chuckle.

“I lost track of time. Reading. Anything happen?”

“She’s been standing awkwardly in a corner and HyeSung’s been standing awkwardly in another corner watching her stand awkwardly in a corner.”

“So… should I leave them?” ChilHyun asks.

“Absolutely not.” HeeJoon butts,in, sliding into the seat next to JaeWon. “You need to get her down her, with all of us guys and the few girls, and she needs to be closer to the dance floor.

“She doesn’t seem like the type to dance.” JaeWon shrugs.

“No, but drunk  idiots who’ll hit on anyone do dance, and they should really set HyeSung off.” HeeJoon reasons.

“Is he suspicious of anything yet?”

“HyeSung? Hasn’t shown anything.” HeeJoon shakes his head. He then shoves ChilHyun over in SeungWon’s general direction. “Hurry up, unless you want to be here all night!”

ChilHyun sighs, a bit unsettled with the plan. What if someone actually tried to do something to her? What if the drunkard was stronger than HyeSung and she got hurt? Then again, there would be HeeJoon, JaeWon, and the rest of the people there with them to settle things. But still, putting her safety in danger like this… it unsettled ChilHyun.

“It’s rude to arrive later than your guests you know.” SeungWon greets, raising an eyebrow as he makes his way over to a rather secluded part of the club, so secluded there’s actually a window there.

“Sorry, I was caught up with stuff. I’ll introduce you to some people, come on.” ChilHyun apologizes, gesturing for her to follow him closer to the bar. He sighs, watching HyeSung’s intense gaze on her, so focused he doesn’t even see who she’s with. ChilHyun sighs—SeungWon isn’t his to take responsibility for.

“Everybody! SeungWon Park!” He calls, coming closer to an enormous table of people from school. They all turn, grinning brightly, and he leads SeungWon to them.

 

“There’s a blonde right behind us watching her.” HeeJoon hisses lowly, and ChilHyun keeps from immediately spinning his head around to find the intruder. SeungWon had gone off to grab a drink just two seconds ago, and was now without accompaniment.

“And?”

“You have to leave. If you’re here she’ll expect you to help.” HeeJoon replies. A low clenching feeling goes through ChilHyun.

“But-”

“HyeSung has to be the one to kill him.” HeeJoon replies, staring at ChilHyun. The latter groans.

“But if something goes wrong-”

“Then there’s another thirty of us here to deal with it. Blonde doesn’t look like he’s with a crowd.” HeeJoon replies. Stiffly, ChilHyun nods.

“Should I go to the bathroom? Or-”

“I get the feeling HyeSung’s going to be pissed at you. He’s dumb right now, but I talked with him earlier and he’s not that dumb.”

“He’ll definitely figure it out.”

“Take the night off then. Don’t catch anyone’s attention though.” HeeJoon shrugs.

That makes ChilHyun even more uncomfortable, the fact he isn’t there to personally make sure nothing happens to her. It’s in everyone else’s hands, whether not some drunk, blonde ert could hurt her. WooHyuk’s much stronger than he is and SeungHo has a much more intimidating status, son of the most feared lawyer in South Korea, but there’s still a tension. He takes one look at HyeSung as he leaves, making sure his gaze doesn’t linger too long or the other will notice he’s gone. HyeSung’s still watching SeungWon, an untouched beer in front of him. That in itself is enough to move ChilHyun along.

 

 

 

The doorbell rings at two in the morning, and ChilHyun absolutely refuses to answer it. The second time it rings he’s reminded of a certain spam sandwich, and flings off the covers before the ding’s even over. He opens the door, too asleep to even bother checking who it is, and immediately a hard fist flies into his right cheek.

“The hell?!” ChilHyun cries, looking up and seeing the happiest HyeSung’s he’s ever seen.

“Hyung, I hate you.” HyeSung grins.

“Then what the he-”

“HeeJoon.”

There’s an awkward silence between the two as ChilHyun feels guilty and he doesn’t know what HyeSung feels because he’s not HyeSung and is also currently avoiding looking at the younger man. He hears HyeSung take another step, and can’t move back because he’s scared the younger found out, but instead has the crap hugged out of him.

“But thank you so much!” HyeSung squeals.

“Then why the hell did you hit me?!”

ChilHyun gets thrown onto a couch as HyeSung then tells the entire evening’s story to him, even the part he was there for, and he zones out, watching HyeSung mumble, his entire body glowing.

Well.. I gues I took one for the team.


 

A/N: I have exams next week and then I'll be gone the few weeks after that on vacation. I'll be writing (especially on the airplane), but nothing will be uploaded for a while. 

Oh, and I used KangTa's real name because the name 'KangTa' soudns awkward to me.