Request #2: Catalog Bride

La Vie en Papier [BUSY / FINISHING REQUEST / OPEN ONLY FOR & NON- REQUESTS]

For: JENNNNNY_STAR
Author: theblackcat1236
Characters: WooHyun/OC, TrollYeol
Length: 4,025 words
A/N: This is an au!1840, but I hope you don't hate it. I'd really appreciate feedback, even if you did hate it, because just not knowing scares the crap out of me :/

 


 

“SungYeol. We’re going to run away. We’ll go to Mexico, I hear they’re weak, or Canada since everyone who lives there is a buffoon and we’ll never have to deal with this ranch or life or girls again.” WooHyun states, seriously, looking SungYeol in the eye as he pathetically collapses onto a haystack. His best friend had picked his barn to meet him, as he was in the middle of watching a baby calf, and the straw poked WooHyun in the face. He quickly sat up. “It’s the only way I can continue living. The only way.”

“So you still haven’t found a wife.” SungYeol replies, not even a question as he looks up from the enormous chunk of bread he’s eating and a shopping catalog. “Good luck. I think I need a new hat; should I get a leather or-”

“Who cares? My mother is going to murder me. She is going to hire the butcher to chase me, cut my body up, and then feed me to that witch lady on the other side of town! I don’t even care if the girl’s pretty anymore, I just need to live!” WooHyun cries, ranting.

“It can’t be that hard to get a girl. Half of them think God gave you your face in a vision.” SungYeol replies, setting the catalog down and raising an eyebrow. “There are at least ten ladies within four ranches on either side.”

“You don’t think I tried them all?! None of them will marry me because our cousin voted for a slave-open California. How did they even find out?!” WooHyun whines. “HOW ARE YOU SO CALM WHEN YOUR BEST FRIEND IS GOING TO DIE IN A MATTER OF DAYS?!”

“How…” SungYeol trails off, dazing off as he gazes to the wall, before looking back at WooHyun, raising an eyebrow. “How desperate are you?”

“I would pay for a girl to marry me at this point. Except they’d slap me for calling them a e.” WooHyun groans.

“Maybe not.” SungYeol smirks, opening the catalog and tossing it to WooHyun.

“Hm?” WooHyun asks, picking it up.

ISSUE #27 PRINT 52

NEEDING A LADY? NO ONE TO KEEP YOU COMPANY OUT WEST? JUST SEND IN A MAIL-ORDER FORM, AND WITHIN ONE MONTH OF RECIEPT YOUR BRIDE WILL BE WAITING AT YOUR FARM!

SOUTH CAROLINA’S FINEST MAIL-ORDER BRIDES

“You’re…” WooHyun trails off, wanting to slap himself for even considering this.

“Dead serious. If you pay extra and for a train ticket, they’ll be here within a week. That should satisfy your mother, no?”

“But she’s not going to let me marry a mail-order bride! She doesn’t even let me eat before mass on Sundays.”

“I’ll sneak her in as my cousin whose family just died.” SungYeol shrugs.

“Your family?”

“My father’s away, my mother’s either drunk or asleep, and my brother just rides all day. Nobody even knows what he does.” SungYeol retorts, taking the catalog, ripping the form out, and tossing it to WooHyun. “All you need to do is sign.”

WooHyun gets the feeling this is way too easy.

 

 

 

“WooHyun, SungYeol’s horse has just been taken.” His mother calls, and he looks up from his book.

“Al-”

“You know who came with him? A woman. SungYeol’s a good year younger than you and he’s already gotten himself a woman, how do you feel about that? She’s quite pretty too, I do say, and-”

“Mother-”

“I really wish you’d just realise your obligation to this family and-”

“He’s-”

“Stop trying to interrupt me!  Have you no respect for your mother?! I was-”

“Ah! There you are SungYeol!” WooHyun greets ridiculously loud, not wanting her mother to meet who he thinks that girl is before he does, and runs out the door to meet the two so there’s no need for them to introduce themselves to his mother. He hurries and ushers them right from their horses to an enormous stable in the back, one his mother never goes in because she cannot stand the smell of horse feed. “Hello, SungYeol, and…?”

“I’m Jenny.” She nods absentmindedly, glaring at him for a few seconds. “Are ya really old enough to be married?”

“I’m twenty, actually.” He says slowly, raising an eyebrow at her disrespectful tone. Either he’s hearing things or everything just got that much more complicated.

“Oh, really? HAHA you look like you’re twelve. Maybe it’s those tiny eyes.” She nods, casually jabbing his cheek a few time with her index finger before losing interest in the conversation and turning around. “HORSE! It’s white. Isn’t that for girls? You’re kind of pretty anyways.” She nods slapping the horse a few times on the nose and spinning around again. “You especially.” She nods, pointing to SungYeol. “Tall boy, you look exactly like my mother.”

“Uh, um, yeah. Why don’t you go look at all our other horses for a moment, since you’ll be here soon anyways, might as well meet them all.” WooHyun stutters, ushering the girl to the other part of the stable and grabbing SungYeol’s shoulder as soon as she’s gone. “You’re joking.”

“She’s been like that since she got here this morning.” SungYeol hisses back, shaking his head and ripping his hat off his head. “It’s actually ridiculous.”

“How could they send me someone like that?! That’s just rude!” WooHyun groans, irritated. “How am I supposed to introduce her to my mother like that? Even if she is female, it’s a huge turnoff. I’ll have to send her back and get someone else.”

“Who else?! We don’t have time, last week your mom was talking about kicking you out and I don’t think you can stay at my place forever.” SungYeol retorts. “Maybe she was raised funny out East? Teach her or something, we can’t send for anyone else.” WooHyun groans, ruffling his hair.

“Teach her? Really?”

“Hey, you have a better idea?”

WooHyun and SungYeol had agreed to just not bring Jenny up in front of his mother, but she had been badgering him so much the entire night his patience was starting to grow thing. How SungYeol was younger and had already found a girl, how SungYeol didn’t even own as much land and had a really pretty girl, how DaYeol was probably seeing the Kims’ son, how-

“Mother, she’s his cousin.” WooHyun interrupts, his grip on his fork tight.

“You don’t say.” She replies immediately, her livid tone replaced with a mischievous one. WooHyun curses his pride.

“Yes, she arrived this morning. Her parents were killed by their neighbor.” He lies, hoping she doesn’t pry too much.

“Where is she from?”

“New England, mother.”

“It must’ve been a long journey.”

“She took most of it by train.”

“Well of course, I’m sure the Lee’s were most accommodating.”

Jenny is mentioned again for the rest of the dinner, and WooHyun’s relieved to finally have his mother off his back. There seems to be some unsaid truth that WooHyun will pursue her, and there’s no need for any words be exchanged. A practically tangible weight lifted off his shoulders; WooHyun takes a long bath and plans to sleep well that night.

“WooHyun?” His mother calls from his doorway as he’s about to blow the candle out and sleep.

“Yes?”

“Invite her to dinner by next week. That’s all, good night!” His mother calls with a cheerful smile before leaving.

Lovely, this is just lovely.

 

 

 

“Hello.” SungYeol greets, opening the door as WooHyun comes from the table, having just tied his horse down.

“We have until next week.”

“To?”

“Get her presentable.” WooHyun sighs, gesturing to Jenny who’s eating like she’s been starving for the past month at SungYeol’s  breakfast table.

“Oh! You’re the twelve-year-old that hired me! Why aren’t I living with you instead? The tall one makes horrible bacon.”

 

 

 

Lesson #1: Dinner Etiquette

“I thought rich people ate with like a bajillion forks.” Jenny drawls, eyeing the setup in front of her suspiciously. “Why are there only like seven.”

“The good silver wear only comes out for Weddings and the president. I doubt either will show up while you’re there, so there’s no need for you to worry about it.” WooHyun replies. “Please don’t use the word ‘bajillion,’ it’s not a word.”

“I wasn’t worried! Now why is there water in a bowl?”

“My mother always asks the maids to serve soup first. For the utensils, you basically start on the outside and work your way in.” WooHyun explains, gesturing to the rounded spoon on her very right and picking it up for her. “Therefore, this is the soup spoon.”

“Alright.” She shrugs.

Taking the spoon, Jenny puts it behind her ear as she slurps the water straight from the bowl. WooHyun watches, horrified, as she laps the water right up and the bowl a few times with her tongue afterwards. SungYeol’s fallen out of his chair, laughing so hard muffled snorts can be heard as he tries to calm himself.

“What do I do with the spoon afterwards?”

“Oh my…” WooHyun sighs, burying his head in his elbow. “Oh my God. Oh my God.”

“Hey, at least she didn’t get any on her dress.” SungYeol points out. “Your mother probably couldn’t even do that without getting any soup on her dress.”

“Thank you.” Jenny replies, giggling.

WooHyun throws a wadded napkin at him.

Lesson #2: Walking Etiquette

“You seem to slouch a bit when you walk, so make sure your shoulders are even with your ears.” WooHyun explains, showing her where her shoulders should be as he moves his. It’d be rude to lay hands on her own.

“Why? I’m almost as tall as you; if I make myself taller you’ll look even more like a girl.” Jenny huffs, crossing her arms and sitting on a stool. WooHyun takes a deep breath.

“Don’t worry, you’ll still be shorter than me. Just stand up straight, it’s good for your spine.” WooHyun explains. “And it looks more feminine.”

“If it’s feminine then why do you walk with a straight back?” Jenny sighs, standing up slowly.  “Are you secretly a girl?”

“No, I am not secretly a girl.” WooHyun mutters, irritation evident on his face. “Come on now, shoulder’s back.

“Fine.” Jenny sighs, before jutting her shoulder’s back so far her spine’s bent back. She then prances around the room like this, chest jutted out, with her hands on her hips.

“Jenny, Jenny, Jenny! What are you doing?” WooHyun asks, sighing.

“I’m standing with my shoulders even more back than yours so it’s girlier and people don’t confuse me for the guy.” Jenny replies. “It makes me look shorter, so you’re still taller too.”

“Look at it this way; she’s learning to be more compassionate like this.” SungYeol explains, trying to hide his chortles.

“Hanging out with her is having a bad influence on you.” WooHyun mutters to himself.

Lesson #7: How to Properly Ride a Horse

“No! You can’t ride that fast! Come back- don’t- UGH!”

Lesson #14: How to Properly Curtsey

“Yes, this does mean you’ll have to wear a dress.” WooHyun groans.

“What else would she be wearing?”  SungYeol whispers, slightly concerned as they watch Jenny pout.

“I don’t even!” WooHyun cries, storming to his horse to go on a stress-ride. He doesn’t see the smirk on Jenny’s face, but SungYeol doesn’t miss it.

 

 

 

“I know you’re faking it.”

“Oh! Tall one, I was-”

“Don’t even bother, I’ve been bullying WooHyun since he was the size of a mushroom. I can tell when someone’s lying to him.”

“…that’s nice.” Jenny sighs, sitting down on the edge of the porch. The crazed, aggressive look in her eye is gone and she looks lonelier than ever, dazing off into the soon to be dark skyline.

“Why would you try and get send back?” SungYeol asks, and laughs warmly when she flinches acutely. “I can hear you talk to yourself, I’m a light sleeper, and I don’t understand.”

“That’s nothing you would understand. Are you going to tell WooHyun?” She asks, raising an eyebrow.

“I would, but it’s for him to figure out on his own. It may not be my business, but you’re behavior is making is WooHyun’s business.”

“Well then he should just send me back.” Jenny groans, getting up and brushing the dust off her skirt, something WooHyun had tried to make a habit but ultimately failed at.

“WooHyun’s grown fond of you.” SungYeol tells her, right as she’s about to go back into his house. “He’s not in love with you, but he at least considers you an acquaintance. He’s not a bad person.”

“What sort of man that orders a woman through a photo isn’t a bad person?”

“That’s nothing you would understand.” SungYeol smiles wryly. “But you’ve spent the past five days with him—does he seem like a bad person?”

 

 

 

“I’ve decided that maybe these isolated lessons in SungYeol’s barn aren’t going to work.” WooHyun explains one morning, after Jenny had taken 72 minutes taking a morning bath. “So we’re going to town today!”

“You’re taking her out in public?” SungYeol blurts out, grinning cockily at Jenny who just sticks her tongue out at him.

“Town? Like where you farmers milk the cow?” Jenny pries, tossing her used fork down on the table.

“No, no. It’s a normal town, with shops and such. I’ll introduce you to some people, but first you should take a nap and change. I’ve noticed… you get quite sleepy after a meal.” WooHyun smiles, trying not to laugh at the image of her passed out against one of SungYeol’s mares.

“Alright then.” She chirps, laughing a bit, before leaning down against the table and passing out.

“Are you sure… about this?” SungYeol asks wryly, staring at WooHyun.

“I’m not sure of anything.” WooHyun sighs, rolling his eyes. “But I’ll give her the benefit of the doubt.”

“Very well then.” SungYeol grins. “I’ll be-”

“Trying to plant coffee beans, yeah, yeah. Have fun with that.”

 

 

 

“WooHyun, I haven’t seen you for a while, how’s your mother doing?” A shopkeeper calls, and all three stop on their horses and spin around. They all dismount and make their way to the building, grinning.

“Daniel! My mom’s doing fine, she got over hear fear of sheep recently.”

“That’s good.” He grins. “Are you here on errand?”

“Yes, thank you, I’m doing great. It’s nice to see you again as well.” SungYeol buts in, rolling his eyes, and snatches an apple from behind Daniel’s counter.

“I don’t recall asking you.” Daniel laughs, shaking his head.

“Just because you’re jealous I’m taller doesn’t mean you should be rude you know.” SungYeol replies, shining the apple on his pant leg and taking an enormous bite. “That’s just rude.”

“We’re here showing SungYeol’s cousin around. Jenny, Daniel, Daniel, Jenny.” WooHyun introduces, and Daniel smiles at her.

“Oh, it’s nice to meet you.” Daniel grins, wiggling his eyebrows at WooHyun the entire time he’s shaking her hand and WooHyun tries not to sock him in the face. “You’re just SungYeol’s cousin? How long have you known WooHyun?” Daniel asks, and a new feeling of dread gives WooHyun shivers.

She has to talk. To people that know him. She has to talk. She has to talk to Daniel.

“I’ve been staying with SungYeol since Sunday morning; his family has kindly taken me in.” Jenny replies, smiling brightly and curtseying. It’s a bit awkward since she’s already greeted him, but WooHyun’s elated.

“You’ve actually learned something after all!” He practically squeals, munching on the cookie he badgered Daniel into giving him for free.

SungYeol snorts. Jenny kicks him.

“Where are we going?” She asks SungYeol, and he just rolls his eyes at her childishness.

“Everyone gathers at a nearby tavern around this time, so we’ll be headed there for sociality and supper.” SungYeol nods absentmindedly.

“Alright.” Jenny nods, and they both ride to the wooden shack at the edge of the town.

 

“It was nice to meet you! We should meet again sometime, somewhere without loud men drinking everywhere.” NamJoo laughs, patting Jenny on the shoulder as they bid farewell.

“Alright, now at this table is-”

“Too many people I want something to drink.” Jenny shakes her head, and SungYeol laughs.

“You want something to drink or something to drink?”

“Do they have anything besides drinks?” Jenny replies, as all three settle at stools near the server.

“No, not really.”

“How old are you?” WooHyun asks, hesitant because the question’s so forward but he figures she shouldn’t mind.

“Old enough so a beer won’t hurt.” Jenny snipes back, and Ricky laughs from behind the counter.

“Your cousin’s a feisty one I see.” Ricky laughs.

“That’s how they’re made out East I suppose.” SungYeol shrugs, and Ricky shakes his head.

“Alright, what can I get you?”

“She’ll have my usual, on me.” A voice drawls, and all four look to see Joey pop up behind them, smiling widely at Jenny. “A pretty girl shouldn’t have to pay for her own drink.”

“I wasn’t going to.” She deadpans, and Joey bursts out in loud guffaws.

“Oh, this one’s a funny one.” He laughs, clutching his stomach, a tiny drop of the Whiskey from the glass in his right hand spilling onto the floor. It was the only bit left.

“Well, thank you.” She mutters, turning back around but he places a hand on her arm, squeezing it a bit.

“Hey, have you ever thought of dancing? We should dance!” He cackles. WooHyun rips his hand of Jenny’s back, but Joey pays him no mind. “Dance party?!”

“There’s no music, Joey. You should head back on over.” Ricky sighs, feeling that WooHyun’s glares and Joey’s lingering gazes aren’t going to come together well.

“Dun tell me what to do.” Joey stutters, slamming his glass down on the counter. “I am tha customer. I am tha guest. You better being nice to me.” He smiles, before trying to grab Jenny’s arm again. “Dance party!”

“No thank you.” Jenny says firmly, sliding off the stool to avoid his grasp. He then begins flailing his hand about, trying to reach her, and right before SungYeol gets a firm hold on Joey his hand brushes her .

She spins around so quick her hair pin comes loose and slaps him.

“How dare you!” Jenny shrieks, and the echoing smack makes the entire tavern quiet down.

“Don’t you-” Joey stutters, but SungYeol slams his head down with the man’s whiskey jug.

“Stay away from that girl, you hear me?” SungYeol hisses, kicking that mean against a wall and shoving WooHyun to the general direction of the door. “Go after her you idiot.”

“Right, right.” WooHyun nods, not even quite sure he knows what’s going on before sprinting out the door and hoping she hasn’t gotten to their horses yet.

 

“Get off me!” Jenny cries, spinning herself so try and pry WooHyun off arm.

“Jenny, calm down. I can’t let you ride like this, you’re going to kill yourself.” He explains, trying to stay calm and keep his temper in check.

“Please! Just don’t touch me!” She cries again, her hands clutching his wrist desperately. “Get off!” He senses something else in her voice, not just irritation or hurt.

“I’ll let go if you get off the horse.” WooHyun says calmly, hoping she complies. She cries a little longer, but does and nearly tumbles off the beast. He sits on the ground so they’re at eye-level after forcing the horse down, giving her a little shield. “Jenny, Jenny, you have to calm down. Joey was just drunk, please stop crying.”

WooHyun feels helpless again, watching her break down. He doesn’t know how to deal with crying women, he never has.

“I-why won’t you just send me back!” She cries, trying to clear the tears off her face, but fails miserably.

“Not all the men in town are like that, not even Joey’s usually like that he was just durnk.”

“No! I want to go back to Mail-In Dormitories, back to my sister, back to everyone else there! Every time a man comes by, trying to look for someone, it’s disgusting! I hate it!” She cries, gasping for air now. “None of you can understand! None of you know what it’s like!”

“Jenny, Jenny, you have to stop. First of all we’re the only people here right now and your precious reputation is going to die. Second of all, not all men are like that.”

“You’re just like them!”

“When have I ever violated you?” WooHyun asks back, and when she meets his eye she cringes.

“I want to be back home! I can’t stand it here; the fact you bought me is violation enough!” She sobs, standing up with shaky legs and trying to climb on the horse again.

“Here, here, stop that now.” WooHyun sighs. He looks around to make sure there’s absolutely no one left wandering in this corner before quickly lifting her up on the horse, as there’s no way she could’ve gotten on herself without injuring anything. She lets out a yelp when he grips her waist but he lets go as soon as he can.

“I’m not making you stay here; SungYeol can easily get you a train ticket back.” WooHyun explains, biting down his pride. “But you have no know that although this isn’t some love we have, I’ve never just thought of you has a toy, you’ve always been a friend of some sorts. You can go back if you want, just to be sold again, or you can stay. But please don’t ride until you stop crying, you’re going to hurt yourself and the horse.”

WooHyun turns around and leaves, trying not to think about his mother.

 

 

 

“I don’t know, I left a note telling her I would be going back later and I came here instead of SungYeol’s house in case she tries looking for me.”  WooHyun groans, dodging the corn cob SungGyu chucks at him.

“I don’t know how SungYeol puts up with you. You visit me for five minutes for the first time in months and I already want to throw you out. Why is your life so dramatic?” SungGyu rolls his eyes.

A little afraid, as this was the day his mother had wanted to meet Jenny, WooHyun had left at the break of dawn, ran to SungGyu’s house because he knew the man would be up harvesting, and whined to him about everything that had happened in the past few weeks.

“You don’t even know if she left for sure.” SungGyu points out. “If I have to deal with all this whining for nothing I’m giving you a potato as you’re wedding gift. “A really ugly potato.”

“You’re such a great friend.” WooHyun sighs.

His life .

 

 

 

At first WooHyun thinks it’s a mirage, but then he realizes he’s not in the desert and it can’t be more than ninety degrees outside.

“Jenny?” He calls hesitantly, half-expecting his mother to turn around and begin chasing him.

“Oh!” She cries, sitting up from the stool she had been resting on right outside his shed. “WooHyun. Hi.”

“Did you need money for a ticket or something? SungYeol  would be cheap like that. I’ll-”

“No.” She cuts off, now a fiery red color in her cheeks. It’s strangely endearing. “I… I want to give this a shot. Besides, you still have rights to me.” She sighs. “Your mother…”

“How’d you find out?” WooHyun raises an eyebrow.

“SungYeol told me. He didn’t guilt me into it though; he wanted me to tell you that. I… I think I can trust you.” She replies honestly, and all this cheesy feelings talk is making WooHyun uncomfortable but he can tell it’s something hard for her to say, something she probably hasn’t told anyone.

“Um, yeah. We should go in then. It’s already afternoon… and mother is probably upset.” He smiles, and they walk into the arms of an obsessive marriage-monster together. Now that he’s finally introducing a girl to her, she should be off his back.

WooHyun thinks he can make this work, this him and Jenny thing, and she’s really a nice girl. They can be friends. And if his heart chokes up a bit when their hands accidentally brush, well, that’s another story.