New Breed: Live in Seoul

Lips That Need No Introduction.

 

Chapter 5
New Breed: Live in Seoul
 
 
 
 
The day for Jay’s very first solo concert had finally arrived. The endless amount of staff and team of performers have been at the Olympic Stadium in Seoul since early that morning. The stage had been set up the previous day so the only things left on the agenda before the concert were the final sound checks and practicing their routines. It was honestly one of the most strenuous days of Melanie’s career as a dancer especially since she’s been greatly involved with Jay as far as the making of this event. Though Melanie’s ulterior motive for being involved with Jay in the making of this event was to keep him from being completely stressed out or having some sort of nervous breakdown, but she doubted that last part would ever happen. He was one of her best friends after all and it was a small notion to show that she cared.
 
Showtime was drawing near since it was only two hours until the concert was to begin and only one hour until the doors would open to let the concert attendee’s in. All the performers had already gone through the process of hair and makeup, mostly everyone was in the waiting room chatting with each other. Melanie was only partially dressed in her outfit for the first song, wearing white skinny jeans that have been stuffed into a fashionable pair of black men’s boots and a black tank top that she would wear beneath her shirt for the first song’s performance. While Jay was preoccupied with his guy friends, Melanie had slipped away from the room to take a walk around the stadium. Making sure that she had her backstage pass, she clipped it on her front belt loop of her jeans as she began to clear her mind of thoughts and worries.
 
Walking through the empty hall by herself, the only sound she could her was the clomping of her boots as they echoed throughout the hall and the only people she passed by were either staff that worked for the stadium. Melanie’s mind was worrying about anything and everything to do with the concert but she used this time to herself to soothe those thoughts with solutions and pushed them aside for another. Melanie had decided last night that to add more sincerity to the special day for Jay was for her to give him an answer to his confession.
 
She didn’t know when she’d even have the time to answer him now since she’d been missing her chances all day. The thought of confessing back to Jay was making her heartbeat rise to a faster pace and she began fidgeting with her shaky hands as she walked. It’d been such a long time since she’d responded positively to a confession since most of the confessions that have been made to her were done jokingly in a just for fun manner or were made by guys that she didn’t really know. She’d spent a long time weighing the options of how much this could potentially change their relationship as friends for the better or for worse.
 
Melanie shook her head and laughed at herself. Why was she making this situation seem like some life changing dilemma?
 
Beautiful girl,” She heard a voice singing behind her that echoed in the hallway. Turning around, Melanie found the very man she was just thinking of.
 
Shouldn’t you be doing something like getting ready?”
 
Um excuse you, babygirl,” Jay was speaking in his poor imitation of a ghetto woman. “I am ready. Look at you,” he said as he caught up to Melanie and threw his arm around her shoulder. “You’re only halfway ready, Honey Child.”
 
Fine, Jayquiesha,” Melanie was mocking Jay with the stereotypical name she’d given him when they were teenagers. “I was going to give you my answer to your confession today but I’ve changed my mind.”
 
Jay took a pause in his steps but Melanie ducked from underneath his arm and began walking back in the direction that she started. She enjoyed the few moments when she left Jay speechless and when she turned to look at the blank expression on his face she almost went back to pinch his cheeks because he looked so adorably…stupid. He was a bit slow to process what Melanie had said.
 
Taking her phone from the back pocket of her jeans, she pressed the power button, making the LCD screen light up as she checked the time. Showtime was only 20 minutes away. Melanie picked a good time to start heading back. There was enough time for her to finish putting on her outfit and have the hair and makeup staffs give their finishing touches.
 
What? Hey! Jamsimanyo!” he called, running after Melanie. “You were going to say yes?”
 
“I never said whether it a yes or no, I only said that I’d give you an answer,” she replied.
 
“But it has to yes, right? I mean, you wouldn’t break my heart on such an important day, that’d be cruel and heartless,” Jay said, thinking out loud.
 
“Who knows what my answer will be but me because you aren’t getting it until tomorrow now,” she smirked.
 
“Come on, Mel. You can’t make me wait till tomorrow now. All I’m going to think about is what your answer will be all throughout the show and it’s going to mess up my concentration so you should really just tell me now.”
 
“I don’t think I will,” Melanie teased in a sing-song tone.
 
“Tell meee~, Jaebeommie wants to knoww~,” he whined.
 
“Nope, I can’t hear you. Bye bye, la la la la laa,” Melanie sang loudly, blocking Jay’s aegyo voice and quickening her pace down the hall once she found the door to the waiting room in sight. She flashed her badge to the security staff and rushed inside as soon as they opened the door.
 
“Oh good, Melanie, you’re here. You have second dressing stall number two so finish dressing in there. The rest of your outfits are in there also and they’re numbered by performance,” one of the cordi eonni’s informed me.
 
“Neh,” Melanie replied before she ducked down because in the corner of her eye she saw Jay enter the waiting room. She stealthily maneuvered her way past a few people and upon finding her dressing room she twisted the door knob and snuck her way in quickly through the small opening. Unfortunately she was too late. Jay’s hand slipped in between the door as she attempted to close it but using his man strength, Jay forced his way in and locked the door after closing it.
 
“What the— get out Jay! I have to change!” Melanie shrieked, trying to push Jay back toward the door but sadly he wouldn’t budge.
 
“Not until you tell me your answer.”
 
“What happened to waiting until I was ready to give you an answer, huh? I told you that I’d tell you tomorrow.”
 
“You said you were going to tell me today so why not tell me now? We’re alone with no one to disturb us.”
 
Melanie let out an exasperated sigh, “Can’t you just wait one day?”
 
“No. Now,” He stated.
 
A commotion was stirring outside that dressing room, and Melanie could distinctly hear Jay’s manager asking for Jay’s whereabouts as he was due to go on stage in less than ten minutes now. Her eyes cut a quick glance at the door knob before she stared straight into the deep brown eyes above her. Melanie struck her hand forward and around Jay’s frame, trying to open the door knob but it was useless. Jay grabbed her wrist and to prevent her from trying it again he took her other wrist as well, locking them both in one of his hands. Cursing her defeat in her mind, Jay walked Melanie backwards until she was pressed against the mirror as he held her hands above her.
 
“Neither of us is leaving this room until you give me an answer,” he commanded.
 
“Jay this is getting ridiculous, you’re seriously not staying in here and forcing me to give you an answer. Your concert is going to start in less than seven minutes now. There are more important things that deserve your attention,” Melanie scowled.
 
“All you have to do is give me an answer, Mel.”
 
“No. You can wait till tomorrow.”
 
There was a knock at the door and soon Jay’s manager, David, shouted, “Jay get your out here! You’re supposed to go in in six minutes! This is your first concert and we need this to go well and for you not to be late to it! Open this door! Palli!”
 
Turning his head away from Melanie, Jay yelled at the door. “If Melanie answers my question I’ll come out, but if she doesn’t then I’ll be here until she does.”
 
“Melanie, please answer the question. I’ll give you the one thing that you want the most, as long as it’s within reason, if you do. Name it and it’s yours!” his manager pleaded.
 
Melanie gave Jay the “stink eye” because it was the perfect way to make her crack under pressure now that she knew that she was putting a halt to the event. They put a lot of preparation, sweat, and practice into this event and she didn’t want to give anyone a reason to accuse Jay for being late to his own concert. Jay was still hovering over her, anticipating her answer.
 
A frustrated groan escaped Melanie’s lips. “Ughhh! Damn it, Jay. My answer is yes, now go.”
 
Jay’s lips curled into a smirk before he broke out into a smile. He wrapped his arms around Melanie in a hug before hoisting her into the air.
 
“Yah! Put me down and get out! You need to go!” Melanie commanded.
 
Only now since Jay got what he wanted did he willingly follow Melanie’s orders. Jay placed her back on the ground but before leaving her dressing room, he leaned forward to place a shy kiss on her cheek before unlocking the door and leaving her to get dressed. Melanie shook her head and rolled eyes at the closed door muttering the words “cheeky bastard” as she felt her body heating up in embarrassment. She felt like it was her first relationship all over again where everything made her giddy and awkwardly embarrassed at public displays of affection.
 
Unfortunately Melanie had no time to really recover from her feelings as she pushed them aside to finish dressing in her white button up shirt and tying the skinny black tie correctly underneath the collar. Folding the collar down, Melanie completed the look by throwing on her white jean jacket with studded pockets. After looking in the mirror and checking her appearance, Melanie finally left out of her dressing room. One of the stylist/make-up eonni’s fixed some of her makeup and checked to make sure it wasn’t smudged and Melanie made way to watch from the side of the stage that she would enter on. Jay had already began his rap intro to his album, “New Breed”, and directly after that finished she and Ji Hye, one of the other girl dancers, would enter from different sides of the stage.
 
Motherer, I’m a king.
I don’t need no bling around the place where I think.
What you see is what you get and if you don’t like it then
Get yo’ outta here!
 
The lights were killed briefly and Melanie ran to her position behind Jay at the middle of the stage near Jay as the beginning of “Demon” began to play. The amount of cheering from the fans increased in volume as they recognized the next song and although Melanie had her most serious expression on her face, she was astounded to see how positively the fans were reacting. While Jay sang and danced, Melanie and Ji Hye did their back up dancing perfectly in sync behind him as they moved on to “Abandoned.” When Dok2 came on stage for “Level 1000” as a guest performer, Melanie’s ears were ringing from the loud screams as she exited the stage to go back to the waiting room to change outfits in her dressing room. She quickly dressed down in white shorts, a white t-shirt, blue high top converses, and a blue and white letterman jacket for the next performance. Melanie went into dressing room number one to grab Jay’s letterman before going back to the side of the stage to enjoy the end of Jay and Dok2’s performance. Watching the two males rap with charisma that could even put SHINee’s Minho in his place, she felt energized from watching them along with the boys of AOM who were doing a great job of keeping the crowd hyped.
 
When they finished and the beginning tune of Jay’s cover for “Nothing On You” began to play, Melanie took her queue and skipped out onto the stage with the extra blue and white letterman jacket hanging limply on her arm. Jay had taken off his previous suit jacket during one of the earlier songs and Melanie came up to Jay with a small smirk on her face as she helped Jay into the matching jacket. Throwing a small wink directly toward Melanie which could easily be played off as fan service he went pack to performing.
 
This was the last introduction performance to the concert and Jay then formally introduced himself to the multitude of fans in the stadium, using this talk time to take a break in between his performances and have a water break. As opposed to the girl team of backup dancers he had in the beginning performances, for “Star” Jay performed with male back up and from there on the rest of the night was full of surprises for the fans. Doing aegyo, performing some songs from when he was on “Immortal Song 2”, playing random videos and having guest performances, but his biggest hit of the night was Jay’s b-boy Lady Gaga parody. Ahh, Melanie could see the onslaught of meme’s and gif’s from fancams now. It was basically a very successful and notable concert that Melanie was sure to leave fans that couldn’t be here in envy and the fans that were here wishing that it could last forever.
 
After waving goodbye to the fans, Jay was walking off the stage repeatedly bowing and thanking all of the backstage workers and everyone that was there for their hard work. The guys of AOM did their man hugs and gave Jay slaps on the back as their way of giving their congratulations.
 
“You killed it tonight, man! We should go out drinking to celebrate!” Cha Cha smiled as he hooked an arm around Jay’s shoulder.
 
“Yeahhh, let’s drank! We need to do something. Either drink or hit up a club,” Junior commented with a goofy smile. All of the other boys nodded in agreement.
 
“Look guys, you can all go party if you want to but I have other plans,” Jay said, removing both Junior and Cha Cha’s arms from around his shoulders; Junior had come up behind him right after Cha Cha.
 
Junior raised his eyebrows, “Ohhh..doing what?”
 
Jay’s eyes cut in Melanie’s direction, who had been discretely listening to the conversation between the boys since she wasn’t any more than five feet from them as she pulled her hair up into a messy ponytail.
 
 “Just a little something with someone special.”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
I've actually had this chapter ready for months. Five pages. Because I feel guilty.
In the beginning I was watching fancams getting ideas of what to include in this chapter,
but I stopped because it was taking too long.
Now, I've just been super busy trying to get used to university.
I'm very sorry to my subscribers for that but if I write
I feel guilty that I'm not writing essays for classes.
Hopefully I can manage my time and schedule my classes better for my next semester.
— SynFic