It's not funny

Hello, Guy I'm Not Dating

 

You don’t really remember how you get home. (You’re still a little in shock from the whole kiss-and-run incident)

 

When you burst into the door, panting and puffing—because you hadn’t run that fast in a couple of years—Hweji is sitting on the couch, calmly sipping orange juice and watching TV.

You babble something incomprehensible and snatch the orange juice away from her hands, gulping it down like it’s the liquid of life or something.

After you literally inhale the whole cup, you feel a little better, like you’re slightly cleaner. Like the orange juice has rinsed your mouth.

Which, really, is kind of mean, but the guy has got you so infuriated that the only thing you want to do right now is to punch him in the stomach and wipe that arrogant little smirk off his perfect face.

Hweji blinks at you innocently.

All of a sudden you want to punch her, too.

You resist it and plop down on the couch next to her, propping your feet up into her lap and burying your face in one of the fluffy pillows.

And then you let out a long groan, just because you can.

 

“What’s wrong?” Hweji asks absent-mindedly, though it’s obvious her attention isn’t on you—you can almost see it, her eyes glued to the television, even though your face is in a pillow.

“My innocence is gone,” you moan into the pillow.

Now it’s obvious Hweji’s attention isn’t on you, because she says “That’s great, Sohee!”

You feel like crying.

Or punching something, but that would probably injure your hand.

Sighing, you sit up and swing your feet back onto the floor. “You’re not curious at all?” you ask Hweji, who is cuddled up against the arm of the couch.

She shrugs. “You’re not gonna tell me if I ask anyway, because you’re like—” she breaks off abruptly, lips pursed tightly together.

You narrow your eyes.

“Hweji, what were you going to say?” you say in a fake, sweet tone, eyes still narrowed.

“Nothing.”

“Hweji.”

“Yes?”

“What were you going to say?”

“Nothing.”

Hweji!

Yes?!

“For goodness sake, Hweji, spit it out!”

“No.”

“Fine, I’ll tell you. Fine.” You jump to your feet, feeling like you must move around or you may just burst.

“I lost my first kiss, okay?”

Hweji stares at you with an expression of slight shock, uncertainty and amusement.

Then she starts laughing.

Your jaw falls wide open.

“Why are you laughing?”

“I—ahahahahaha—I—” Hweji chokes out in between hysterical laughter.

“Hweji, why are you laughing?

All you get is a loud thud as Hweji falls off the couch from laughing too hard.

 

Sometimes you wonder why you’re friends with her.

 

 

                                                                                                   ____

 

 

After reviving Hweji, who had crawled to the couch again after her laughing fit, claiming that her stomach was cramping, you sit down at the dining table in a huff.

Hweji’s still emitting sudden little giggles.

“Stop laughing!”

All you get is another snigger.

You bury your head in your hands.

 

After a while—you don’t know how long—Hweji pats you on the shoulder. She seems to have calmed down quite a lot.

“You know, it’s really not that bad,” she says, stilling grinning from ear to ear.

“Uh, yeah, it is.” You mumble. “I was saving that kiss. For someone special.”

Hweji looks slightly exasperated. It’s a very familiar expression, and you’re trying to figure out where you had seen it before when you realize that you’d seen it on your own face before.

It’s the expression you wear when you’re dealing with Hweji.

With a weird feeling in your chest—guilt?—you clear your throat.

“Wouldn’t you say that was pretty special, though?” Hweji raises an eyebrow.

That’s also a familiar expression of your own.

“Well—I—yeah, but the guy…” you grumble.

“He was ugly?” Hweji wrinkles her nose.

No—ugh, he was just…annoying.”

“More annoying than me?” Hweji sounds genuinely surprised, and you can’t help but let out a gentle chuckle.

“You’re not that annoying,” you tell her.

 

Uh huh, yep, this is why she’s your best friend.

 

                                                                                           ____

 

“Nearly done?” Hweji calls from the kitchen.

“No.” You reply, frowning in concentration.

“Done now?”

“No.”

“What about now?”

“Hweji, no.”

“Still no?”

No!

There’s a silence.

“What about now?”

For the sake of cheese and rice, Hweji, no!

 

                                                                                   _____

 

“Okay, I’m done.” You call after a while.

There’s a scuffling sound and a loud thud as Hweji scrambles to your side. “Ow, my knee,” she mumbles.

“Okay, you ready?” you take a deep breath. All of a sudden you’re nervous. Staring down at the white paper and the perfect face that had been born from your hand and pencil, you feel worried.

“Show me already.” Hweji says impatiently.

“Uh, no, wait. What if it’s crap? I mean…uh, you only gave me half an hour.” You say nervously. You feel weirdly anxious, like what if you haven’t captured his perfection perfectly?

“No, Sohee, it’ll be fine, now show me.” Without warning, Hweji tugs the paper out of your hands.

 

There’s a silence.

A long silence.

A very long silence.

 

It’s so quiet you can hear your own heartbeat.

“Hweji?” you try tentatively.

“Uh, yeah.” She says.

“Um…” you bite your lower lip.

It’s not like you’re worried about your artistic skills—your major in university is art.

“You have no idea who this is, do you?” Hweji puts the piece of paper down on the dining table.

“Uh…an annoying hobo?” you take a wild guess.

“You kissed him?” she asks.

“It was an accident, I swear—” you start, but she cuts you off, tutting and shaking her head.

“Oh girl, you dead.”

“Wait—what? What does that mean?”

“He’s Byun Baekhyun, one of the most famous ulzzangs in South Korea—him and his five friends, EXO.”

“Come again?” you ask incredulously.

“Just saying, but you know, his fans, they’re not to be messed with.” She shakes her head. “I suggest you stay low for the rest of your life and never let the word that you kissed Byun Baekhyun spread.”

You open your mouth and you’re about to reply when you’re interrupted by a voice.

A different voice.

A strange voice.

 

What?

 

Just your luck.

 

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

;A;

thank you guys so much for subbing. and the lovely (non-existent) comments.

<3