Revealing the Truth

Blessing From Above [하늘에서 내려온 축복]

Taecyeon and Yoona came down to the hospital garden. It was a wide big garden designed for patients to walk around, so that they could feel the silent and the beauty of nature, which could help their minds to relax. Both of them silently walked until Taecyeon started the conversation.

“Yoona, why don’t you talk?”

“Do you feel better now, after a walk?” Yoona asked Taecyeon

“Yea, my mind feels at ease”

“Taecyeon, have you ever thought of finding out your childhood? Your past?”

“I thought of it before, but now it’s not an important matter anymore”

“Why not?”

“Because we shouldn’t be living in the past” said Taecyeon

“But sometimes the past might be the happiest time which you wouldn’t want to forget.”

Then they stopped, stood facing each other.

“Yoona, why are we talking about the past?”

“Can you lower your head?” Yoona asked and Taecyeon followed. She searched his head, through the hair, for something…

“What are you doing?”

“Looking for it”

“Looking for what?” Taecyeon was extremely confused by her action.

“I found it!!” Yoona happily announced

“Can you tell me what were you looking for? I’m confused!”

“The scar on your head.” said Yoona

“How-how do you know I have a scar on my head?”

“From the surgery”

“What surgery? My mom said I got it because I was naughty and I hit my head while playing.”

“That one was from your surgery, and this one…” Yoona reached for his right hand and held up, “This one was from that dog incident”

“Wait, why are you looking for my scars? Tell me what’s going on?”

“Open your hand.” said Yoona

She put her hand on top of his hand. It was that familiar feeling.

“I found you.” She hugged him. The clueless Taecyeon didn’t understand what was going on.

“It’s really you…”

“Yoona…what’s wrong? I’ve been here all the time. What do you mean by you found me?”

“You are Ian, Taecyeon. You are Ian!!”

“Wait, what? I’m Ian? What are you saying! I’m not!” Taecyeon broke the hug.

“You are!!”

“I know that you missed him and always wanted to find him but let’s make it clear, I’m not Ian. I am Taecyeon.”

“You don’t remember anything because you lost your memory!”

“Why did I lose my memory?”

“From the car accident 18 years ago. That’s the explanation for the scar on your head.”

“Sorry Yoona, but I don’t feel like I’m that friend of yours, Ian.”

“But you are, Taecyeon. You are!”

“Please, I’m not him! So don’t see me as a substitute”

“Why are you raising your voice?”

“I’m sorry. I just don’t feel good when you see me as him.” Taecyeon explained

“Fine. You can ask your mom if you don’t believe it. I’m done with talking.” said Yoona, then she walked away.

“Hey Yoona, where are you going?”

“To fill out the discharge form. I’m going home.”

 

---

At home…

“Yoona, I still think that you should stay in the hospital for a few more days…” said Taeyeon

“Unnie, I’m fine now. The doctor said I’m okay to go home.”

“You seemed unhappy after returned from the garden…”

“Yoorim, let’s go to bed. School tomorrow.” Yoona tried to ignore what Taeyeon said

“Remember I’m your sister. I’m always here so if you want to talk, look for me and I will listen.”

Yoona got up and tucked Yoorim to bed. She didn’t say anything else after Taeyeon mentioned how she looked unhappy. She was indeed unhappy, but she wasn’t sure it was because Taecyeon refused to believe he’s Ian or it was because Taecyeon told her not to think of him as Ian. Yoona couldn’t sleep and decided to look for Taeyeon.

“Unnie, are you asleep?” Yoona asked as she slowly open Taeyeon’s door.

“Not yet…” Taeyeon replied

“Do you want to know what happened?”

“If you’re willing to tell me” said Taeyeon

“So today I told him that he’s Ian…” said Yoona

“You did? Then what did he say?”

“He said that he’s not and he told me not to think of him as Ian”

“So you got unhappy over that?”

“I know that he has amnesia so that’s why he couldn’t remember about his past. I’m not mad at him about that….but what kept me thinking today was when he told me that he doesn’t want to be Ian’s substitute. He wasn’t because he is indeed Ian. But he got a point there. If you were him, how would you feel?” Yoona asked Taeyeon

“I would be upset.” said Taeyeon

“You too?”

“Yes, think about it and put yourself in his shoes. Would you be upset if he sees you as another person and treats you better because of it?”

After the talk, Yoona went back to her room. She got her phone and tried to call Taecyeon.

“You have reached the voicemail. Please leave a message after the beep~”

“He didn’t pick up the phone!!” and Yoona tried to call Taecyeon again.

“You have reached the voicemail. Please leave a message after---“

She hung up.

“Whatever. I’m going to sleep.”

 

---

While Taecyeon at the hospital…

“She’s calling…should I pick up?” Taecyeon asked himself

“But no…What if she talks about Ian again? I don’t know what to say…”

The phone was still ringing…

“Sorry Yoona…” Then Taecyeon tucked himself under the blanket, ignored all the calls from her.

More than a month passed by and neither of them contacts each other. Taecyeon still refused to believe he is Ian and Yoona refused to contact him. Yoorim on the other hand missed Taecyeon very much and often asked Yoona about him.

“Umma, when will appa come?” Yoorim asked

“I don’t know.” Yoona answered

“Then can we go see him?”

“No, we can’t”

“Why? I miss him!!”

“Yoorim, I said we couldn’t”

“But I want to see him!!” cried Yoorim

“Yoorim cut it off!” Yoona demanded

“Umma I hate you!” She pouted

“That’s it! You have time out. Go to your room!”

“Yoona, she’s still small. You can’t get mad at her because she wants to see Taecyeon.” said Taeyeon

“I’ve been telling her we’re not going to see him but she kept whining about it everyday.”

“How about I’m taking her to the radio station with me today so you can cool down a bit?” Taeyeon offered

“Unnie, I’m sorry.”

 

---

Taecyeon was driving back home from his studio. He the radio and it was time for Taeyeon’s Chin Chin radio.

“Hello everyone. This is DJ Taeyeon and you’re listening to Chin Chin radio! I hope you had a good day today and I wish you a wonderful night as well.”

“Oh it’s Taeyeon noona…” said Taecyeon

“Today we have a little guest, very little guest. Let’s hear our guest introduce herself.”

“Hi everyone. I’m Yoorim.” said Yoorim

“Yoorim? She came?” then Taecyeon proceeded to turn the volume louder.

“So Yoorim, why are you here today?” Taeyeon asked Yoorim

“I’m here because my mom is mad at me”

“Why? You’re not well behaved?” asked Taeyeon

“Because I want to see my dad. I haven’t seen him for a month. He didn’t come to see us and my mom won’t let me go to his house.”

“I miss you too, my little girl.” said Taecyeon

“Then do you want to send a message to your dad?” Taeyeon asked, “Because he might listening to this now”

“Appa! This is Yoorim. I miss you so much. Please come and see me soon I have many stories to tell you!” Yoorim sent the message to Taecyeon

“Alright, then Yoorim, should you send a message to your mom too? Apology for your behavior.”

“Umma, I’m sorry…”

“Silly girl, umma is not mad at you. Umma should be the one that says sorry.” said Yoona while listening to the radio at home.

 

---

Taecyeon decided to call his mom and ask about the whole story.

“Mom?”

“Yes?”

“I want to ask you something…” said Taecyeon

“Go ahead” said Mrs. Ok 

“Did you hide something from me?” asked Taecyeon

Mrs. Ok didn’t answer

“Meaning the answer is yes?”

“I’m sorry, son…” she let out a big sigh.

“Meaning what she said is true? That I am Ian?”

“Ian is your name when you was small…” said Mrs. Ok

“Why don’t you let me know?”

“Son, I couldn’t bring myself to see you suffer from those headache…”

“I should’ve listened to her” Taecyeon said in regret

“Come to see me if you want to learn about your past” said Mrs. Ok

Taecyeon then turned his car and drove to his parents’ house. His mind was full with thoughts about his past, Ian, and as well as Yoona. He arrived at his parents’ house about 15 minutes later. He rang the doorbell and the maid opened the door.

“Young master, you’re here” said the maid

“Where is my mom?” Taecyeon asked

“She’s waiting for you in the master’s reading room.”

Taecyeon walked to the reading room and saw his mom sitting there with her eyes close. He glanced over the table and saw a pile of photo albums.

“Mom, I’m here” said Taecyeon

“Take those albums on the table. Those are your childhood photos.” said Mrs. Ok, “I’m tired, I’m going back to my room. Again, I’m sorry son...about hiding it from you. I hope you can understand. Those photos should be able to walk you back to the past…”

Taecyeon took the albums and went home. As soon as he got home, he started to look over the photos. There was a little boy; he was surrounded by many kids in most of the pictures. In most of the picture, there was also a little girl. They’re no others than Ian and Yoona. He turned to the last page then broke down crying. He saw the exact picture that he once saw at Yoona’s place. The picture of Ian and Yoona took on the last day at the orphanage, and now Taecyeon knew that it was him and Yoona.

The next morning he came to the bakery and looked for Yoona.

“Hello Taeyeon noona!” said Taecyeon as he walked into the bakery.

“Oh Taecyeon ah, long time no see! Finally you came!”

“Is Yoona here, noona?” Taecyeon asked

“She’s in the kitchen” said Taeyeon

“I’ll go and see her” then Taecyeon walked to the back of the bakery, where the kitchen located.

“Hi Yoona. Long time no see.” Taecyeon said his greeting.

“Why are you here?” Yoona was surprised by his visit

“I want to talk to you…”

“About…?”

“I want to say I’m sorry for what I said when we were at the hospital and…”

“And?”

“And now I know the truth…”

“Finally? But anyway, that’s not important anymore.”

“I’m sorry” said Taecyeon

“If saying sorry can solve the problem, then one sorry is enough. If it can’t, then a hundred thousand times still won’t help the matter.”

“Even if my sorry couldn’t help solve the problem, I still hope that you could feel my sincerity” said Taecyeon, “But to be honest, I still don’t feel like Ian. I know that I’m Ian now, but the feeling is just not there. Ian is still a complete stranger to me.”

Yoona then took off her necklace

“Here, keep this.” She handed Taecyeon the necklace

“This is?”

“The necklace you gave me. I’m returning this to you” said Yoona, “When you can remember your past identity, it’s up to you to decide whether to give me back this necklace or not.”

“Then maybe I should comeback only when I regain my memories…” and Taecyeon walked out the kitchen

“Noona, I’m going” said Taecyeon to Taeyeon

“That fast?”

“Please help me take care of them”

“Wait, why are you saying that to me? You’re not planning to see us again?”

“Not until I get Ian back in me.” He let out a force smile. Taeyeon sadly watched him go and then she ran to the kitchen to look for Yoona.

“Yoona!! You told me you’re not mad but why you let him go?”

“I don’t know unnie. I guess it’s too much for me to take…”

“So you told him to comeback when he remember?”

“I didn’t say anything…” said Yoona

“But he thought so!”

“Am I too much?” Yoona asked Taeyeon 

“Yes you are. Let me ask you, is he any different from Ian?”

“...No” Yoona reluctantly answered

“Then there you go. They’re the same so try to see him as Taecyeon, not Ian. Try to accept him as Taecyeon. He’s Ian in the past, but now he’s Taecyeon.”

After hearing what Taeyeon said, Yoona dropped what she was doing and ran to Taecyeon who was still sitting in his car, looking out at the park. Taecyeon then heard a knock on the window

"Taecyeon, Taecyeon!!” Yoona knocked the window. He looked over and surprised to see Yoona. He rolled down the window and Yoona said to him,

“Do you mind drive me to pick up Yoorim from school?”