The School Interview

Blessing From Above [하늘에서 내려온 축복]

Taecyeon drove Yoona back home, and not forget to remind her that she needed to dress formally for the event. He also told her to prepare for all the interview questions. Yoona nodded and went inside her house.

When Taecyeon got back, he received a small package. There was no sender’s name or the sender’s address. He opened it and saw a few pieces of notebook paper with cat drawings all over it.

“What is this?” he asked, “Who sent this to me?”

Taecyeon didn’t bother to see the rest. He put it back into the package and put them in his table drawer.

Next Monday, he drove to Yoona’s house to pick her and Yoorim up. They all dressed up formally for the event.

“Are you ready, Yoorim?” Taecyeon asked after they got into the car.

“Yoorim is ready!” Yoorim answered

“How about you?” Taecyeon looked over to Yoona, who was sitting on the passenger side.

“Actually, I’m not…” Yoona looked at him, worried.

“Don’t worry, it will be fine. Just answer what you know, but let me answer those ‘family’ questions if they ask.” Taecyeon said to Yoona.

“I’ve never been to anything like this, so…all depends on you…” Yoona nervously told Taecyeon

They drove to a nice, big private school for children age 6 to 12. It was known for one of the best private elementary school in Seoul. Yoorim looked outside the car’s window and observed her surrounding. She had never been to school before, so she was nervous and excited at the same time.

“Appa, is this Yoorim’s school?” Yoorim asked Taecyeon

“Yes Yoorim, this is your school. Look at all the children, they will be your friends” Taecyeon smiled to Yoorim

“They will be Yoorim’s friends…” Yoorim said as she pressed her little face against the car’s window. She watched the children, amazed and said, “That is a lot of friends!” which made Taecyeon and Yoona laughed.

They got off the car and walked to the principal’s office for their appointment at 9AM. They sat patiently outside and waited for Yoorim to be call.

“Im Yoorim~~” The president called

“Okay, let’s go Yoorim” Taecyeon said to Yoorim, “Hand!” he said as he put out his hand. Yoorim put her little hand on top of his and they held hand. Yoona was still nervous.

“Come on Yoona, let’s go~” Taecyeon said to Yoona

“Okay…” then Yoona held Yoorim’s other hand. The 3 of them walked into the principal’s office.

“Hello! Thank you for coming here today for the interview!” The principal said to them, “Please have a sit!”

“Hello, I’m Yoorim’s dad” said Taecyeon

“Hello, I’m Yoorim’s mom” said Yoona

“Nice to meet you all” said the principal, and then she looked at Yoorim.

“And you must be Yoorim” she smiled to Yoorim

“Annyonghaseyo, my name is Im Yoorim. Nice to meet you, principal” Yoorim said as she remember what Yoona taught her.

“What a nice little girl you are! Nice to meet you too!” the principle smiled to Yoorim, then she looked at Taecyeon and Yoona who were sitting beside Yoorim.

“You are Ok Taecyeon ssi, and you are Im Yoona ssi?”

“Yes” they both answered

“Then may I ask…why her last name is Im instead of Ok?” The principal questioned

“Oh..it’s because….” Yoona stuttered

“It’s because Im Yoorim sounds better than Ok Yoorim right?” Taecyeon laughed, “We like the name Yoorim a lot but it just doesn’t sounds good with Ok so we went with Im instead. We’ll go with Ok when we have our second kid.” Yoona gave Taecyeon a glare and kicked his feet.

“Ouch…” Taecyeon gasped

“What happened?” the principal asked

“Oh sorry, nothing, I just suddenly felt a pain” Taecyeon faked a smile to the principal.

“Considered Yoorim is almost 6 now, you two must be really young when she was born.” the principal said

“I was 20 when she was born” said Yoona to the principal, while Taecyeon looked at her with sadness in his eyes.

“Was it hard? To become a mom at such a young age?”

“Not at all, I wasn’t alone”

“He must be a great help!” said the principal. Taecyeon and Yoona both looked at each other then turned to the principal to give her yet another fake smile.

“Your family seems to be very happy. One of our criteria to accept student is that the student’s family must care for each other, so that the student could enjoy both time at school and at home” said the principal.

“Now I want to interview Yoorim alone, you two may go outside now”

“Thank you” said Taecyeon, then he turned to Yoorim and whispered, “Fighting!!”

They both went outside and waited for Yoorim’s interview. Taecyeon asked Yoona about how was Yoorim when she was small. He was curious about Yoorim’s first five years of her life…

“Actually at first I didn’t know what to do. First time being a mom, so I don’t have any experience. Also because Yoorim was a preemie, she was much smaller than other kids. Thanks goodness for Taeyeon unnie, or else I wouldn’t be able to raise her this big.”

“I wish I could be there for you all those time…” said Taecyeon Yoona looked at him, she saw the sudden sadness and regret in his eyes; but it wasn’t his fault, it was her choice.

She then reached for her bag, took out a picture from her wallet. It was Yoorim’s baby picture.

“Here, take it.” Yoona handed the picture to Taecyeon

“This is…”

“It’s Yoorim’s baby picture. You can keep it.” said Yoona

Taecyeon smiled and said, “Thank you”.

Yoorim went out with a smiled on her face, Taecyeon asked her about the result and she said she passed. Taecyeon lifted her up and swirled her around with Yoona jumping beside.

The 3 of them went on an ice-cream date to congratulate Yoorim for getting accepted. Taecyeon chose chocolate ice cream; Yoorim chose strawberry ice cream with cereal as topping while Yoona chose mint chocolate chip ice cream with cereal as topping, which made Taecyeon thought of something…

“I like mint chocolate chip ice cream with cereal as topping…” a voice flashed through his mind

“Taecyeon! What are you thinking? Your ice cream is melting!” Yoona reminded Taecyeon.

“Oh, I just thought of something. Somehow I think I know someone that also like mint chocolate chip ice cream with cereal as topping.

“Umma and Yoorim like cereal!” said Yoorim.

“By the way, who allowed you to joke like that in front of the principal!!”said Yoona to Taecyeon

“About what?”

“You said about the 2nd kid!”

“I was just joking!” he laughed, “But you kicked me hard!”

“So that you remember not to joke like that anymore!” she blushed

“Umma, I wants to have an ice cream cake on my birthday!” said Yoorim

“Sure, I will make you one!”

“When is Yoorim’s birthday?” Taecyeon asked

“Next week, August the 27th”

“How about has her birthday party over at my house? I have a pool!”

“But we don’t need a pool though, Yoorim doesn’t know how to swim” said Yoona

“We have a pool for the kids too. Also you can invite your friends over” 

“Still…the idea of having a pool…is not so good…” Yoona hesitated

“Yoorim, what do you think?” Taecyeon asked Yoorim for her opinion

“I like the pool!” Yoorim excited

“She likes it, you can’t deny her!” said Taecyeon to Yoona

“Then…fine…you can do it at your place.” Yoona pouted

“Yoorim, we won!” Taecyeon smiled to Yoorim. 

Yoorim then raised both her hands on the air and exclaimed,“Yoorim’s birthday party next week!!!”

Yoona looked at Yoorim and couldn’t believe that her baby is turning 6 in a week.

“Where does the time go?” she sighed