Epilogue

Over It

 

“Well how could you say that? This is important to me and you’re not being supportive!” Jinki said in disbelief, a look of pure hurt on his face.

“I’m just stating the truth, Jinki! You’re too naïve to see what’s good for you!” Kibum retorted, still thinking that he was being the rational one in the situation.

The couple was having lunch in the kitchen of Kibum’s apartment, talking about school and other mundane things when it escalated into this. Neither of them could be sure how it even started anymore.

“Look, I can’t talk to you right now okay. You’re just being difficult.” Jinki finally threw his hands up in frustration, walking away from the dining table and into the living room. He plopped himself down in the middle of the couch, hugging his knees to his chest and sulked at the television that he’d just flipped on.

Kibum sighed quietly back in the kitchen, knowing he’d done it again. He had made his boyfriend upset because of his insensitive words again. Sometimes he hated himself for being so ruthlessly blunt, but it was a trait about him that could not be changed easily. Picking up both their plates, he threw away the remains of their lunch and left them in the sink.

Walking into the living room, Kibum bravely sat down next to Jinki. The older of the two shifted to the left instantly, creating distance between their bodies, which Kibum quickly closed as he shifted as well.

“Go away.” Jinki said, eyes not leaving the television for even a second. The words that came out were muffled from behind the crook of his elbow. When Kibum didn’t budge, Jinki scooted to the left again.

Still, Kibum followed.

“What do you want?!” Jinki huffed, annoyed. Raising his head from his knees, he turned to look at his boyfriend with tightly furrowed brows.

“To say I’m sorry?” Kibum bit his lip and said, hoping that Jinki would be placated. He doesn’t usually stay angry for long, but Kibum thinks he might have pushed it a bit too far this time.

“You’re not.” Jinki gave the younger a look and shifted away yet again. He was hurt by what Kibum had said in their argument, and he wasn’t about to forgive him just like this. For all he knew, perhaps Kibum didn’t even think he had said something wrong and was just apologizing for the sake of it.

As usual.

Summer break had rolled around just a few days ago, and Jinki had landed himself a job at a fancy shop downtown with great interior design and which sold pretty but rather overpriced things. Despite all the classiness of the shop itself, his pay leaves much to be desired. Jinki doesn’t mind because he likes the environment and his colleagues were a fun-loving bunch. It was what he’d always wanted to try too because he was always kind of awkward when it came to people, and he was hoping that a retail experience would open him up more.

Kibum, though, thinks he could do so much better than running around cleaning up the mess customers made and earning meager pay. But of course, he hadn’t explained all these to Jinki. Instead, he merely told him he didn’t think he would suit the job and that he should quit.

Jinki didn’t understand why Kibum had to be so adamant about him quitting. It was just a summer job after all, to gain experience and meet new people and earn some fast cash along the way. He’s going to have his whole life ahead after graduating to work in a claustrophobic office cubicle anyway, so why can’t he choose to do something he’d actually enjoy now?

He hadn’t realized that he had already moved to the end of the couch, so when Kibum shifted closer to him yet again he was cornered, with his side pressing against the armrest and nowhere else to move. The younger began to nudge his side softly with his elbow.

“Tsk, stop it.” Jinki felt a little irritated, but the initial anger was starting to dissipate just by Kibum’s insistence in trying to talk to him and the look of rejection and guilt on his face.

“I’m sorry… really. Jinki B, forgive me?” Kibum moved even closer, turning his body to face his boyfriend and rubbed his arm tenderly with one hand.

“Do you even know what you’re sorry for?” Jinki finally looked up and said with a challenging undertone in his voice. He still had that wounded look in his eyes, and Kibum wanted to pull him into a tight hug and plant infinite kisses on his face to make them sparkle again.

“I know I shouldn’t have said those things, or tried to make you quit. I should’ve respected your decision and let you try new things.” I know what I’m apologizing for. Kibum thinks, knowing in his heart the reason for Jinki’s question.

“You know, Bummie. Sometimes it feels like whatever I do can’t make you happy, it’s like I’m just never good enough for you.” The older’s voice softened significantly. From the fact that he had just called him by his pet name, Kibum knew that Jinki wasn’t angry at him anymore. But the hurt remained, and that was going to be harder to fix. 

“That’s not true, B. That can’t be further from the truth.” Kibum started to panic, thinking how the conversation was headed in an entirely wrong direction. He was the one in the wrong now, but Jinki had somehow managed to twist it around and put the blame on himself.

“It’s just…” Kibum started, but couldn’t quite bring himself to complete his sentence.

Jinki turned to look at his boyfriend curiously. He who had a sharp tongue and was always so quick with his opinions now seemed to be at a loss for words, and it was a mildly amusing sight for him to say the least.

He raised his eyebrows, urging Kibum to continue.

“It’s just that… I think you’re made for much better things than serving rude people who have no regard for your brilliance. And what if… you meet someone there who you liked better than me…?” Kibum said the last part almost inaudibly. He looked down, wringing his hands and feeling a bit embarrassed. He couldn’t believe he’d actually said something so cheesy and insecure. Jinki, on the other hand, felt his cheeks flush from the warmth that had burst in his heart at his lover’s words.

So that’s why.

“My silly Bummie…” Jinki reached for Kibum’s hands, gently untangling them from each other and intertwining their fingers. “You should have just said…”

Kibum pouted, still averting his eyes from Jinki’s slightly teasing ones. He didn’t want to admit to being an overly sensitive boyfriend, that wasn’t cool by his standards. It’s just that, Kibum had been feeling this way ever since they had gotten back together. After knowing that the older boy didn’t absolutely need him, that there was someone else waiting on him even, and above all that Kibum absolutely needed Jinki made him a little more than afraid to lose his sunshine again. But of course, sometimes, he and his wretched mouth just have to get in the way and ruin everything by making Jinki upset.

“I won’t like anyone better than you. There is no one better than you.” Jinki said, as he held Kibum’s chin and lifted his face up so they were looking at each other’s eyes.

Overwhelmed by a flood of emotions, Kibum wrapped his arms around his boyfriend’s shoulders and pulled him into his lap. Jinki didn’t seem to mind as he got comfortable in Kibum’s lap, staring up at his lover’s face and trailing a finger along his jawline with a silly smile on his face, all traces of his unhappiness from before long gone.

“I’m sorry, B. I love you, okay.” Kibum cradled his face and said quietly.

Jinki’s hand reached for the nape of Kibum’s neck and pulled him down closer so that their faces were only inches apart.

“I love you too, Bummie. Only you.” He whispered before capturing Kibum’s perfect lips between his own, feeling his boyfriend smile into their kiss.

This was the way things were between them now; it weren’t always fine and dandy, they still didn’t agree on everything and quarrel about the dumbest things which neither of them could remember was even about a while later. But they both realized one thing after their separation, and that is their love for the other and the desire to fix things was always greater; it always overruled their pride, the hurt or wanting to be the one who was always right.

A perfect relationship does not mean that there exist no arguments or tears. It is about knowing how to compromise so the relationship could grow and mature and the people in it would ultimately become better individuals. In love, there is no right or wrong, there is only happy or not happy. Jinki and Kibum knew they were lucky that they were given a second chance.

After all, love never fails.

*END*


 

A.N.: This . 

I wrote because I was upset, and fluff just doesn't flow when you're upset. Also, I realised that I don't know how to end a story. Sorry for taking so long to post the final part and yet doing such a ty job at it.

(Just a little side note, I wrote Kibum in this series as the more masculine one while Jinki seems to be the 'weaker' and dependent one which is rather uncharacteristic in Onkey stories, because I am really tired of reading stories in which Jinki gets his heart trampled on chasing Kibum. In my stories, I like to make everyone chase Jinki instead muaha~)

Finally, this marks the end of this mini-series, and I'd like to thank everyone who have shown your support since the first chapter which I only wrote on a whim. Thank you to the subscribers, and people who dropped me nice comments all along. I have loads of other storylines which I will write in the future but for now I will just focus on being a good uni student and writing Lucky. 

Thank you all again :)