Chapter 2

Mockingbird

 

Jonghyun awoke in a pure white room. It smelt strongly of disinfectant and crappy food.

There was a strange beeping noise next to him…he looked at it, wondering what the strange device was. At first he thought he was in Heaven, but then he looked down. There were several wires connected to different parts of his body. Some were on his arms. As he reached up and felt his face, there was a wire or something on his face too.

He then thought he must have been transported 100 years into the future for some alien probing.

He shuddered at the thought. He looked around to find that it was an empty room, however, there were several other unoccupied beds surrounding his. His bed? Jonghyun looked down, and surely enough, the soft white fabric underneath him were the sheets of a bed. There was a warm blanket placed on top of him, however, it was constricting his movement so the ripped it off. When the annoying blanket had been removed, he looked down and saw that he was wearing an ugly looking gown.

Key would have killed him if he saw him in that outfit. Speaking of Key, Jonghyun wondered where the others were. He stood up, ignoring the pain in his head and throat, and went to find them. However, something funny happened when he stood up.

He could feel a slight breeze in his private area. He turned, looked down and saw that the gown covered his front bits, but not his . Quickly, he jumped back down onto the bed, accidentally ripping out some of the wires. A chilling, high-pitched siren noise scared him, however, it soon stopped when someone entered the room. Actually ... 6 someone’s.

A nurse ran up to Jonghyun, putting all the wires back into their place, while he quietly observed the others. There, standing quietly near the door were his family. Onew, Key, Minho, Taemin and Yoogeun.

Jjong looked at Key’s face first. He looked as if he hadn’t slept in years. There were deep circles under his eyes, his mouth was pulled up in a tight, but relieved smile. His nose and eyes were red. Snot was coming out of his nose, and his eyes were now teary as he locked eyes with his best friend, no, his brother. Key held onto Yoogeun tightly, who looked like he had been crying too, but was now preoccupied with some strange hospital toy that the nurses had provided to rid the child of his cries.

Onew was standing to the left of Key. The leaders face was also stained with what seemed like permanent tears. You could tell that his funny and bouncy side had been replaced with a serious and saddened heart. Taemin and Minho were standing next to each other, on the left of Onew. Minho had his arms wrapped around Taemin, consoling his dongseang who was crying his eyes out. Jonghyun wanted to ask what was wrong; Taemin’s shoulders were shuddering with every sob that rocked through his body.

However, as soon as he opened his mouth, Jjong found that his throat could not make any noise. Not at all. He just lay there opening and closing his mouth like a goldfish, hoping each and every time that something would change.Hoping that he would be able to make at least one noise, one word, one sentence, one question. He just wanted to know what was going on. Key, seeing his Hyung’s distressed face, and his mouth opening and closing constantly, burst into tears.

It was too much.

This man, who loved talking, and singing so much would never be able to do any of that again. Key felt arms wrapping around him, then tears falling onto his cheeks, mixing in with his own. Onew had seen Key crying which made him cry too. He knew that all he could do at the moment was try and console Key.

Jonghyun was amazed.

He just stared at his family. They were all hugging each other, and crying, even the almost stoic Minho. Once again, he tried to make noise, but he couldn’t.

It was then, that the others came over to his bed.

Where they all sat.

Crying.

Crying for their Mockingbird.

Crying that he would never sing a sweet melody again.