Chapter 3

Mockingbird

Jonghyun lay asleep in his bed. His chest was slowly rising and falling, his breaths coming deeply. He looked like an angel. Regardless of the chaos and anger outside his room, he was having sweet dreams. You could tell by the faint smile across his soft lips. The peace and calm that radiated throughout his whole being, his whole aura. It was beautiful to watch.

And someone was watching him. She’d sneaked in carefully behind the closed doors. She’d slithered past the strong, heavy body guards. She’d covered her face, hidden her expensive clothes. She had even walked from all the way across the city. She had done all of that. Just to see him.

She needed to make sure he was safe. She was worried sick. All of last night, she had paced up and down her apartment, biting her lip. Was he okay? How was he coping? What about s? Their fans? Thoughts raced through her head, and she had run to the computer to keep up with the mass coverage of Jonghyuns disease. She had been determined to follow up every piece of news about Jonghyun that she could get her hands on. There was a strange on. There was a strange desperation in her thoughts. And there was an even stranger desperation… in her heart.

As she watched him sleep, she smiled. It was a loving smile, like one that your mother would give you. She his hair away from his face, gently, for she was too afraid of wakening him.

“Sleep well, Jonghyun.”

Her voice was a melodious one, a gentle mixture of soft and musical tones. She had the makings of a beautiful singer, but it wasn’t in her interests… yet. She was wearing a large yellow raincoat, rainbows leggings and a soft black beanie. It was a strange choice of clothing, but she had collected this from the donation box near her home. Her face was masked by the dark shadows of the dimly lit room. Who was she again? Ah, yes… She was anyone. Anyone but herself.

She kissed Jonghyuns forehead, for it wasn’t her lips touching his soft skin. It wasn’t her heart that pounded for him. And most importantly… It wasn’t her soul that was longing to hear his voice again.

She turned around, and started to walk off with a long sigh. The young woman in a yellow raincoat, rainbow leggings and a beanie. She reached the door after a long and sorrowful walk across the room, turning back once more, giving Jonghyun a longing look. Turning back again, the woman returned to her former self. As for the girl in the raincoat and rainbow leggings? She would be back… eventually.

And so, the door shut tight, the lights turned off, and the two remain strangers. Jonghyun softly emits a low groan from his inner dreamland.

And then a whisper.

“I miss you.”