Chapter 1

Mockingbird

 

His voice echoed throughout the sold out stadium.There was a gentle, sweet sound coming out of his mouth as he sung his heart out for his fans, and for himself too.There was complete silence, besides the music and his melody. He was caught up in his own world, too oblivious to notice what was happening around him.Everyone was looking at him in awe, even the members of his group, mouths wide open, at the miracle that was his voice.

~~~

“Wow, Hyung!!! That was so FREAKING AWESOME!! You wowed them! Everyone was so silent, but it was a GOOD silent!! You are so cool!! And…” Taemin kept rambling, even though he could tell that his Hyung had tuned out; the group of five were walking back towards their van after another wonderful concert.They were exhausted, and the only person listening to Taemin was Minho. 2Min was real, yes, but only in a Hyung and Dongsaeng way. It was the same with JongKey…however, Onew/Chicken was very real. As in, so real that the leader was already stuffing his face with his favourite food right after they had exited the stage.

As they walked, Taemin still chattered away, with some input from Minho, as Key texted someone. Onew was still stuffing his face and Jonghyun stared out the window, his eyes following the trail of little raindrops as they sped away, gliding down the smooth surface of the window pane. To him, it was peaceful, calming, and yes, a little bit beautiful.

To others, it might seem that it was just rain. Simply water falling from the sky, but Jonghyun thought it was fascinating that such a thing, a small thing, could hold the future of many bigger things.These tiny drops of water and where they fell determined the future of many. In places of flooding rains, there was devastation. In places of sun, heat, and not a single drop of water from the Sun, there was more devastation, still. However, in balance, there was harmony. It is a simple fact that these insignificant things were vital to the survival of the world. It made him think long and hard about the true power of the small things on our planet. 

As they made their way into their van, the SHINee boys could not stop talking about their upcoming day off. It was a big deal, especially after their long, hard working days spent touring Korea and other countries of the world. The boys decided that tomorrow would be a day out to remember, and that nothing could ruin the spectacular things they would encounter and do. 

~~~

After a good nights rest, a nice calming shower and an exquisite breakfast (made by Key) the SHINee boys went out for a day outside.They went to the playgrounds located all over the city, around the wonderful city of Seoul and also in some national parks that were on the outskirts of Seoul.The city was b with beauty. In every corner they turned as they walked, there was another wonderful surprise.People performing on the streets, elegant flowers and wonderful and strange shops and stalls.They had a wonderful lunch of Korean barbeque, however, it was then that Jonghyun had started to feel…odd.

Every time he took a breath, his throat would emit a strange noise.

Every time he coughed, there would be blood.

He had difficulty swallowing, even this delicious beef, and a hoarse throat.

His neck was also swollen and sore.

However, the dinosaur thought that it was no big deal and brushed it off as the result of how hard he had been working the past couple of months, preparing and then performing in their concerts.

~~~

“Hyung!!!!!” Taemin’s voice called, “HYUNG!!!”

“What do you want Taemin, can you not see that I’m busy?” And with that, Jonghyun shut the door to his room.

However, the maknae’s calls were not deterred. “HYUNG!! KEY HYUNG SAYS THAT YOU BETTER GET YOUR…” He started to whisper to a figure close by, Key, “Er…Hyung, do you really want me to say that word?? I MEAN, I’ve never cursed before!!”

“Please, just get on with it Taemin, we can’t leave him inside by himself, while we enjoy this!”

“Er…okay…JONGHYUN HYUNG!!!!! KEY HYUNG WANTS YOU TO GET YOUR LAZY erm… OUT HERE BEFORE HE CALLS MANAGER HYUNG!!”

“Taemin, what the HELL? You want me to go outside, IN THE RAIN, to play ‘The hibiscus has bloomed’?”

“YES!!! PLEASE HURRY HYUNG!! KEY HYUNG MIGHT GO CRAZY SOON…”

Jonghyun, hearing this, slowly walked to the door that connected the backyard to their house. As he walked out, he was carefully observing them all, wondering what on earth they were doing playing in the rain. At that moment, it was pouring. According to the news, it was the biggest downpour Seoul had recieved in a decade. Surely, Key wouldn’t be stupid enough to be doing this, but it looked like the feeling of ecstasy from the succession of their concerts had been too much, and had rendered everyone, but Jonghyun, absolutely bat crazy.

He looked around and saw a mad Key who looked like he was about to murder someone.Onew was the furthest from Jonghyun, underneath their pergola happily eating his chicken by himself…in a corner…all alone.Taemin and Minho were playing “1,2,7,8,9” a game that they’d seen on their MBLAQ hyung’s new show, “Kkeal player”. They were both laughing their heads off, even in this type of rain.

“Ah, now that the Dino has joined us, we can start!” On Key’s face was a big smile that looked like it was stuck on with super glue.Yoogeun, who had come to visit to wish the boys luck for their tour ran up to his Appa and gave him a big hug.

“Appa, lesh pway vwe hibshcus hash bwoomed!!” His baby talk still hadn’t improved.

“Ah...Yoogeun-ah, you’re so adorable!” Jonghyun leant down to pick up his cute son when Key noticed something was different.

Jonghyun face was gaunt, his skin looked pale and sullen, as if it was about to fall off his face.

His neck looked swollen, almost to the point where it looked like there was no difference between his chin and his chest.

And his body.

His clothes looked way too big for him.

In fact, ever since that wonderful day spent looking around Seoul, Key had had to buy Jonghyun new clothes, the sizes getting smaller and smaller every time.

Jonghyun looked as if he could fall to bits any second.

Which is just what he did.