Chapter Four

A Gangster without a Smile [HIATUS]

 

The long snaking traffic prevented any pedestrian from walking down the street without getting a mouthful of exhaust fumes as the cars puffed away, eagley awaiting their turn when they could speed away. Hongki had his bookbag wrapped around his left shoulder as he paced himself on the sidewalk, turning into a tight alley. The lighting was dull, and the walls had ripped, soiled posters and flyers about jobs and k-pop idols. 

I guess I can give Dasom a chance. She isn't that bad of a girl, right? She's just a little feisty kitten that needs some friends, and I can be one. If she opens up...

Hongki's eyes trailed the firm cencrete ground that probably no body used, but he decided it will be a fast shortcut home. His head felt slightly heavier from all the thoughts abusing his mind. He continued to pace, without any control, further and further in the alley until the rays of the sun cased on his eyes. An golden mist, from the sun's rays, came across his usual brown eyes making them sparkle like a gem. His legs came to a stop as his mind opened up with more questions and thoughts along with it.

Will she open up to me? I-I tried having a friendly conversation with her and she threaten to cut my throat. How can I make her open up to me, if we can't even have a conversation without her threatening me?

Hongki shook his head and continue to walk to the almost faded crosswalk of the street. The sun was setting, turning the sky into a mess of pastel colors. He crossed the street, without looking to his sides, and then continued to walk straight on.

What if Dasom doesn't want help, and just wants to fail the class? Does that mean I don't get the stupid extra credit? I mean, what if I worked so hard on helping her that I fall back with her and I end up failing too?

"I'm such an idiot." he said in a whisper to the lonely streets as his eyes were pierced to the sidewalk. "How can I be so stupid and agree to that crap?"

His eyes rose up to the street, and his mind went completely blank. His eyes darted back and forth to every wall, sign, and even crack on the sidewalk. A cold sweat of fear rolled down his spine, causing a low groan to come from his lips.

Where am I? 

His hand rose up to arm of his bookbag, jerking it a little, making sure it was still firmly on. He took a deep, thick breathe and swallowed hard as his eyes lifted up for any sign of home.

"Nice one, Lee." He spoke briefly, as his eyes moved around. "You got yourself lost in less than a second. What else are you going to screw up?"

A sigh released from his slightly dried lips as he bit his bottom lip, in thought. His legs moved to an direction, without his approval, and stopped when he entered a street that lacked of everything pleasant.

 

- "Leave me alone, Minho!" shouted a faded female voice from the distance, making Hongki jumped.

 

"Hello?" Hongki cupped his hands over his mouth to echo the sound of his shout. "Do you know what street this is?"

 

- "Stop it!" the female voice grew louder and louder, with the tone of fear in all her screaming. A girl curved on the corner, almost tripping, but made a clear turn. She continued her fast pace as light pants escaped . She ran passed Hongki, running into an alley.

Hongki kept his eyes straight on the corner the girl came from. What the hell is going on? I-Is she running from something? Someone? 

A young man came from the same corner, that Hongki has his eyes glued on, and he had a nice smirk on his face. The young man had straight, black hair that was long enough to cover his forehead, and barely touch his shoulder. He had rough, dark eyes that simply didn't match his smooth, handsome face. The young man moved forward, with his eyes placed hard on Hongki. 

"Hey, you." He spoke half-way to Hongki as he paced faster to him, until he was toe to toe in front of him. "Have you seen a girl around here? Black hair, looks like a stupid ."

"I-I..." Hongki began with a stutter, and a little worried ached in his eyes.

The young man released half a smile to Hongki, and looked into his eyes. "Don't worry. I'm her boyfriend, she's just needs to take her medication."

"She went that way." Hongki said boldy, pointing the opposite way to the alley. "She was running pretty slow, so I think you can chase up to her if you leave now."

The young man looked at Hongki in the eyes for a while, observing him carefully. "Thanks." he briefly said, with a crooked smirk on his face as he walk the direction Hongki pointed to.

When the man was out of sight, Hongki let of a breath of relief and a smile curved sides on his mouth. He believed me. Thank god, I thought he was going to kill me or something. I wonder if he was truly her boyfriend? Maybe, he was making it up to butter me up so I can say the truth.

"Too bad, er." Hongki snorted a soft laughter as he turned around to the alley, cutting his happiness. I wonder if she's okay? If she's still there?

He took a deep breathe in, and took a few steps into the alley. The alley might have been a little on the thin side, but it was large enough to fit two trash cans. Hongki's eyes searched for any evidence of the damsel in distress. He pierced his eyes to a pair of wore out converses that was pecking out between the two trash cans.

"Hey girl. The guy that was chasing you is gone." Hongki explained in his smooth, calm voice. "I told him to go the opposite way, so you have nothing to worry about." as he finished, a warm smile crawl onto his face.

"I-If you're lieing to me, I'll cut your l-little, pretty boy throat of yours." the girl said, in a shaky tone. "Are you lieing to m-me?"

Hongki's shocked eyes widen to her question. He pressed his lips together, his smile from before was gone and replaced by a thin line. "Why will I lie to you? I want to help you."

There was a pause of silent, and the small whispers of a breeze brushing the trees' leaves. The girl stood up, standing firmly on the ground. She took a few steps to her left, causing her to rotate her back to face Hongki. She was wearing a oversized jacket with a hoodie covering her head, maybe even her face. Thick legging covered her legs, following by a bandage tied around her ankle.

"Sometimes you can't help people, even though how much you want to." Her voice was solid, unlike before. "Some people don't want help. Others just don't deserve it."

As the girl began to walk away, Hongki's lips parted and caused him to speak. "What about the ones that need help, but just don't see it? Everyone deserves it, no matter who or what they are."

The girl paced herself faster out of the alley and into the mix of pastel colors that formed the sky. Her slim body disappeared like an angel into light, making Hongki's heart beat with ache.

"Maybe we could meet again one day, Mystery." His lips curved into a light smile, warming his heart. "So I could actually help you open your eyes."

 


 

SUBSCRIBECOMMENT | SHARE |