Chapter Three

A Gangster without a Smile [HIATUS]

Seconds and minutes passed by like months and years, as Hongki glanced at the school's clock every few seconds to end this terrible day. 

"I can't believe this." He mumbled to himself. "Why do I have to be paired up with..." He glanced at her for a moment.

Dasom had her head down on the wide, black desk. Her ponytail had loosen up a bit, letting go of a waterfall of silky black hair.

Hongki chuckled in silence. She'll be a really cute girl if she wasn't so mean.

He told her paper and began to read the questions to himself.

1. What's your partner's name?

Lee Hongki. He wrote down nicely.

2. How old is your partner?

I'm 18 years old. He wrote down his name firmly with smile.

3. What were your first thoughts on your partner?

I don't think she likes me... so hate? He skipped the question and moved on to the next one.

4. What's your favorite thing about your partner?

...Nothing, I'm guessing.

He glanced at Dasom, who was motionless like before; all the hair covering her face had slid away, showing her peaceful look. She was still asleep.

"Why do you have to be so mean to me?" He pouted, softly tapping her small nose.

Dasom, suddenly, raised her head and glared at him softly. "I warned you."

Hongki jumped a bit from his seat and bit his lower lip. "Sorry, Dasom-ssi!"

She stared at him for a few seconds, like she was going to say something, but looked down at her paper he had. "What are you doing?"

"Your work. I don't want you to fail." Hongki answered with a sweet smile.

She moved her chair slightly away from Hongki. "You disgust me extremely."

Hongki's smile disappeared. "Do I have something in my teeth?"

Her face expression was blank. "They're white as a toilet."  

"I'll take that as a compliant~!" His smile returned. "I'm Lee Hongki, by the way."

"I don't care." Dasom briefly said in a rude tone.

"You should. We'll be sitting together for the rest of the school year, plus I want to be your friend."

"Friend?" she questioned him.

He nodded with a bright smile. "Of course.~"

"Not interested, dork." She insulted him and laid her head back on the desk.

"I rather be a dork, then a slacker who just lies around doing nothing." Hongki told her, protecting his pride.

Dasom got up from her seat, making students around stare. She rolled her eyes and walked straight out of the classroom causing students to whispers among each other.

"Yah, is she okay?"

"Is s-she going to k-kill us?"

"I think Hongki did something to her."

"W-What if Hongki made her angry!?"

 

"Hyung~" Seunghyun called for Hongki in a soft tone.

Hongki turned his head, along with his body to his friend. "W-What?"

"Did something happen?" Seunghyun looked at him with worried eyes.

Hongki shook his head and let out a smile. "Don't worry, Dongsaengie. I'm alright."

"If you say so.~" Seunghyun smiled back at his friend and when back to work.

Hongki's smile faded a little as random thoughts filled his head.

What if the gangster is mad at me!? I'm dead meat!
Man, I need to talk to Miss Lee straight after school about this. 

-------------

 

The bell rang sending students out the door with their belongings and tired minds.

"Hyung, I'm going to walk Suzy home." Seunghyun slipped on his book bag on and looked over at Hongki for a reaction. "You don't mind right?"

"Of course not, Seunghyun.~ I have to talk to Miss Lee about something. I'll see you around, okay?"

Seunghyun nodded his head to Hongki and waved him good-bye as he left with Suzy.

Hongki looked over at Miss Lee who was reading some papers. He took a deep breathe in and his legs started to move passed all the tables and chairs, and stop directly in front of her large office desk.

"Miss Lee... Can I talk to you about something?" Hongki asked pulling the sleeves of his jacket up.

Miss Lee raised her head to Hongki and smiled lightly. "Sure, Hongki."

"It's about my new seat..." Hongki stated looking down. "I don't really... like it."

"Oh..." Miss Lee got up from her desk chair and walked to a clear, black table facing the front of the class. "Hongki. I want you to know that you're one of the nicest students I ever had in my teaching career."

Hongki smiled brightly to his teacher's words. "Wow, thank you Miss Lee! You're too kind!"

"But the thing is..." She began slowly, choosing her words carefully inside her mind. "I want you to help me in a little project of mines."

"A project?" he questioned. "What kind of project?"

Miss Lee sat on top of the desk and looked around the class. "An extra credit project that will give you a sure passing grade in this class." Her fine eyes rolled back to Hongki, placing a light stare at him.
"And looking at your grades from the first and second quarter kills your passing grade for this class. I know a handsome young man, like yourself, won't like to be with Juniors next year." She smiled, hoping he will give in.

"I need an B in this class to pass, and I know for sure I'm not going to pass with that violence girl next to me for the next 18 weeks!"

"That went the extra credit project kicks in." She almost whispered, but it seemed so loud to Hongki. It echoed in his mind a few times.

"What do I have to do to earn this 'earn credit' you speak of?" Hongki was curious, of course. If he didn't spend more than half of his time in this class actually working, instead of playing around with Seughyun, he would be passing now. But he told the wrong turn, and ended up at Failing Point.

"Nothing really. I just want you to help Dasom." easily explained to Hongki, but he couldn't believe how calm she was. Like she didn't know the stories and rumors of that girl. Like she didn't know she hated being in school as much as actually working in school.

"Help her?" Hongki almost shouted out. "How can I help her if she has the will power of killing a human being like himself!?"

"Hongki. We're talking about a socially-troubled teenage girl that doesn't have a soul to talk to. Everyone turns on her for being named 'the gangster.' Do you think someone in this school, actually knows the truth behind that girl? No one knows because no one bothers to care enough."

Hongki placed his hands in his pockets, trying to keep himself focus, but it feel somewhat sorry for Dasom.

"I-I never thought about it that way." he paused. "I'll help her."

Miss Lee's eyes lighted up with joy. "Really? Thank you so much, Hongki! I promise I'll give you that B as soon as I see results."

Hongki smiled at her happiness. "I'll try, Miss Lee."He locked eyes with the clock's hands and put the numbers together for the time. "It's almost 3, I should get going."

"Yeah, you should. Be safe." she warned, sounding like a mother. Oddly enough, she never gave birth or looked like she will anytime soon. She was young, but looked like a strong minded woman who loved to work and earn money for her own bills and a treat for herself.

Hongki tucked his book bag with his right shoulder, walking to the door and looking back at Miss Lee. "I will~ Have a great evening!"

She softly waved back with a warm smile, and Hongki exited the classroom and into the halls of the school. They were empty, leaving him alone with overwhelming thoughts racing around his head.

I didn't get what I wanted. I didn't get to change my seat. 
I didn't even tell Miss Lee, how Dasom threatened me several times during class.
I guess things are better left unsaid than spread until they become a problem that has no real solution. 
I wondered why Miss Lee picked me of all people to help Dasom?
I'm not that bright when it comes to languages, and I'm horrible in explaining things to people.
But the question that has been wondering around my head is:

I wonder how much this meant to her?