Jackpot

B1A4 Ver. 2.0: Humanoid Robots

 

 

It was only mid-morning, but I felt and looked like I had just gone trekking up seven mountains. My long black hair was scrunched up in a ponytail, my shirt was soaked right through with sweat and my body ached all over, like I had just finished lifting weights.  I dropped the mop I had been wielding for most of the day and collapsed in a heap on the now sparkling floor.

It was the last Saturday of the month, which meant it was “General Cleaning Day.” I had to clean the entire house, which consisted of six bedrooms including mine, the living and dining rooms, the kitchen, and even the rooftop. I had meant to clean the attic and the garage too, but decided to save that for another day, since anymore cleaning might actually finish me off.

The phone rang, and I literally had to get on my knees and crawl to answer it.

“Hey kiddo!”

My weariness evaporated in a second. I had been waiting to hear that voice. “Hey Dad!” I said in the most enthusiastic voice I could muster, just so he won’t suspect that I’m killing myself by cleaning the house. And besides, I really was happy. I hadn’t heard from him in six months. “I missed you! Where are you now?”

“I’m in Turkey,” my dad answered. “I’m here with the rest of the team, taking a break before heading to the site. How are things at home?”

“Oh, it’s great.  I’m fine.”  My dad is an archeologist, and he’s usually all over the globe, checking out caves and pyramids and ruins, searching for fossils, digging for bones and looking for signs of primitive life. It’s a really cool job, and I’m glad it makes my dad happy, but it also means that I rarely get to see him. He visits maybe once or twice a year, and those visits never last for more than a week.

“Are you sure?” Dad sounded worried. “I think you could really use some help, like a maid or something. You must get so lonely...”

I shrugged it off with a laugh. “I’m fine, Dad. Really. I’m doing pretty well on my own. I don’t need help, so don’t worry about me.”

“I’m sorry.” My dad’s voice grew quiet. “I wish I could be a better father to you, Mi Ra…”

“You’re the best, Dad,” I said, cutting him off. “I wouldn’t trade you off with any other dad in the world. So, how is it in Turkey? Is it nice?”

We talked for a bit, catching up on stuff. I tried to tell him as much as I could, which, frankly, wasn’t much at all. I was an ordinary girl with an ordinary life, and much of the action in my life mainly happens during the last Saturday of the month, when I had to clean the whole mammoth-sized house all by myself. As always, I always felt like tearing up when Dad said goodbye. He promised to call soon, but I knew I couldn’t really count on it. “Soon” may mean tomorrow or next week or next month—and that was if I get lucky. When Dad was absorbed in a project, he pretty much forgets everything.

“Oh well.” I smiled and tried to psych myself up. Moping around wouldn’t get me anywhere. “It’s almost lunch time, I might as well find some food.”

I got up again and began to put the cleaning materials away. I washed up first, then bounded into the kitchen, only to bang my head on the fridge door. The fridge was almost empty, and I didn’t even notice. I fixed myself some bibimbap and ate while watching TV. I went through the rituals of washing the dishes and cleaning the kitchen sink. A further investigation through the cupboards told me I probably wouldn’t survive until tomorrow if I didn’t buy food, so I decided to do some grocery shopping.

I was always methodical when buying food. I always had a list with me so I wouldn’t forget anything. I start with the non-perishables first, then move on to those that need to be refrigerated immediately. Within a mere few minutes, I was done. I loaded all the bags to my bike, and began wheeling it in the right direction.

“Good afternoon, pretty girl!”

I yelped and almost went into cardiac arrest when a random guy suddenly appeared in front of me, smiling in a way I didn’t like. He was wearing a formal-looking suit and tie, contrasting sharply with his messy hair that reached up to his shoulders.  He was carrying a bunch of folders on one hand a battered looking suitcase in the other.

“Did I startle you? I’m sorry, really, really sorry. But I was watching you earlier, shopping and carrying all those heavy bags alone. Don’t you have someone with you?”

“Uh…” I scrambled my brains for an answer. I’m a really bad liar, and I was sure he would easily figure it out if I lied right now. But did I really want tell the truth to someone who had just practically admitted he had been stalking me? I knew the answer to that. A big NO.

“Life’s difficult, isn’t it? Shopping and carrying heavy bags, house chores, and even homework! All piled up, one on top of the other that you don’t even know which one to do first! Don’t you wish you have someone to do them for you? A maid would be nice, but then maids get tired too, don’t they? And you’d have to feed them, and pay them…” He shook his head. “It’s a whole lot of trouble, really. But hey, do you know what can help you with all the things you need to do? Something you that doesn’t get tired, something that you don’t need to feed or pay?”

I wasn’t really listening. So all I had to contribute to his very enthusiastic monologue was a long “Uhhhh…” As it turns out, I didn’t really have to answer.

“Why, a robot, of course!” He continued as though there was no gap in the conversation. “Robots are really cool. They’re strong and smart and in many ways, more loyal than people are. When people change their minds and move on and leave, robots stay by their owners, always faithful. More durable too!”

I stopped listening again. I was more concerned about how I could get away from him.

“So, how about it?”

“Huh?”

“I asked you if you wouldn’t mind joining our contest. I represent a company that specializes of robot prototypes that are excellent as house helpers. We’re still in the promotional stage, so we’re giving some models away for free. Just spin the roulette and pick a prize! How about it? Want to try?”

“Um…”

“Great! Really great! You won’t regret your decision!”

What? What decision? I didn’t even say anything yet!

He produced a small roulette from somewhere deep in his suitcase and held it out to me. “Each color has a special prize underneath, and two of the colors is an all-or-nothing.”

“All-or-nothing?”

He nodded. “It’s either you get all of the gifts, or not get any at all. Now, go on and try your luck.”

I reached out and almost touched the end of the roulette, then snatched my hand back. “It’s free?”

He smiled. “Absolutely free.”

Well, I thought.  There’s nothing to lose. And it’s probably only some cutesy prize, like a wall clock or a mug or something, that’s what they always give away. And besides, I’m pretty unlucky, I probably wouldn’t get anything anyway.

I spun the roulette, then realized I was actually quite nervous, waiting for it to stop spinning. It finally slowed down, and I recited the colors in my head as they passed the arrow. Green, red, blue, pink, yellow, black, violet, green, blue, red…”

It settled on violet. The man peeled off the violet paper, and the words “JACKPOT”  stared back at me.

“Congratulations! You won the jackpot! You win all of our prototypes!” He took my hand and shook it vigorously.

“I won what?”

He released my hand and held five folders under my nose. “Sign at the bottom, and we’ll ship your prizes bright and early tomorrow morning.”

“Wait. I—“

He took my right hand and pushed a pen into it. “Go on, Miss. Just sign your name and you’ll get your prize.”

I did as he said, half-dazed. He took the folders back and shook my hand again. Once again he congratulated me, and assured me that I would be receiving my prize by tomorrow morning. He bowed and told me to be careful on my way home. I said my goodbyes and began wheeling my back in the opposite direction.

About five steps later, I stopped. I just realized something. He never asked for my address, how in heck was I supposed to get my prizes? And just what were those prizes? I turned. “Excuse me but—“

There was no sign of the guy I just talked to. Dang. And I never even got to know the company’s name.