The Big Surprise

Fugitive [HIATUS]

 

The night had passed and the sun rises. It’s Saturday, 7am. You are awake but still cuddled inside your bed with your eyes closed. Suddenly, you hear some footsteps coming from the hallway outside your room. The door opens, it is your mother. She comes to wake you up so she opens the curtains and the room’s window, letting the sunlight come in and illuminate the dark room.

  • Dear, it’s time to wake up. We have to go. Please, hurry and get ready.

Today you are a little a bit sleepy since you stayed up till 2 am. You open your eyes, with some difficulty because of the brightness, and get out of the bed. After dressing up yourself, you go take your breakfast and, at the end, you join your mother at the car.

The driver drives around the city and stops near some of the best clothing stores. You buy a half sleeve pink dress that goes up to your knees and a pair of high heel silver sandals. Next, your mother decides that you must go get your hair done, and enters into a beauty salon.

The morning has passed and it’s lunch time. Your mother decides to eat with you on an Italian restaurant. You enter and take a sit next to a window, where you can see people passing by. The waiter comes with the menus and takes your orders. Your mother asks for Penne Marinara and you choose Rigatone Bolognese.

 

  • I’m so anxious about today’s party.  Me and your father have a surprise for you.
  • A surprise? – you said, feeling a little uneasy.
  • Yes. It’s something we planned for your future. It will be the best for you. I’m not supposed to say anything about this to you. Don’t tell your father. Anyways, you’re going to find out tonight. – she states it with a grin on her face.

You don't  understand very weel what does she mean and feeling worried about this "something planned for the future".

The hours passed. It is almost the time for the party to start (at 7 pm). The party is in a big tent at the house's garden. Outside the tent, the trees are decorated with small lights, to illuminate the garden during the night, and there is a red carped that leads the guest from the house’s back door to the entrance of the tent. Inside the tent, there are round tables, all covered with a white tablecloth and the best tableware, a small stage for the band to perform and a dance floor. Your mother inspects everything one last time before the guests arrive (the illumination, the tables, the food, the musicians, the waiters, …), while you are at your room getting ready.

The guests arrive, one by one. You and your parents are in the front door of the house receiving the guest and the butler leads them to the garden, where the party is placed. After complementing all the guests, you also head towards the garden.

 

 

~~~’s POV:

 

There are a lot of guests, which some of them I don’t know. They must be father’s associates. I’m now coming out of the house and entering the garden. It’s so amazing. The lights on the trees bring some kind of magic to this place. I’ll make sure to get some fun out here. Despite, not having friends who I can talk with, it’s not every day we go to a party. I’m going to eat, watch the musician’s performance and take a walk on “the magic garden”, I’m going to make this into a good experience.

After passing the red carpet, we find ourselves inside the tent. I can see that the guests are already at the tables and were sited according to a specific order. Me and my parents also sit at a table with another couple, Mr. and Ms. Miller, and their son, Jason Miller. They are mother and father’s old friends, they get along very well, although, they haven’t been in touch for years.

Dinner is being served. The guests are enjoying the food and talking with their table mates. My parents are catching up with their friends and I am just, silently, eating my gourmet food.

  • ~~~, why don’t you say anything?  - asks Ms. Miller
  • She is always like this. She’s very shy. – explains my mother.
  • Don’t you remember of Jason? – asks Ms. Miller again as she tries to put conversation with me.

I shook my head in answer.

  • Oh…that’s a pity. You kids used to play together when you were very young. You were so cute together. That remembers me of one time when he proposed to you but you said no. He was so sad about your answer. – she continued.

They all start laughing except Jason, who was feeling embarrassed about it, and me, who doesn’t remember anything about it.

  • They looked very well together back then and now too. – says my mother with some satisfaction.

What does she mean by that? Anyways, the dinner has finished and the musicians come on stage and start playing. Some of the guests get out of their sits towards the dance floor to dance and some of they remain in their sits chatting. My parents and Jason’s parents also went to the dance floor. Me and Jason stayed in our sits in silence. We don’t have anything to talk with each other. *Awkward*

  • Can I have this dance? – he asks me with his hand outstretched, waiting for me to grab it.

I’m so surprised, I really didn’t expect this. I don't even know him. I don't want to be rude to him so I will accept.

*I grab his hand*

The party is on its peak and I’m dancing with Jason, my childhood friend which I don't remember of…strange. I can sense a lot of eyes staring at us. This is so embaressing.

Suddenly, the music stops and everyone stops dancing and talking. My parents and Mr. and Ms. Miller are on stage. Everyone has their eyes on them. My father grabs a microphone and starts speaking.

  • My beautiful wife has planned this event with hard work and I can see that everyone is enjoying it. Good! But this isn’t just an occasional party, it has a special meaning. This party is to celebrate the union of two families.

“Celebrate the union of two families?” Who is getting married?

  • Please let’s make a toast to ~~~ and Jason’s engagement.

WHAT? Engagement? I’m the one who is getting married?

 

-------------End of POV-------------

 


 

End of 3rd Chapter. So what do you think? It is something you expected or not? Was is a big surprise?
Please leave a comment.