The Tragic Accident

My One and Only Butler

It was a cold, rainy, Autumn's afternoon, whilse Sooyoung and her family fed the people with their delicious ramen. Sooyoung and her family's ramen shop was one of the best in their little, small, yet warm town. Although they weren't rich, they had a lovely life, and loved the way it was. "Thank you and come again!" Sooyoung smiled brightly as the last customer left.

Sooyoung returned to the chopping board, and began to get more dough up, loosening it up, so that the dough was ready for the next day. "Whew! Thanks for all your hard work Sooyoung, you can stop making the dough for tomorrow now. Today I'll do it." Sooyoung's mother heard her say. 

"It's alright. I have to help you guys in any way I can, besides, it's better than just sitting down doing nothing all day, right?" Sooyoung smiled at your mother, as she continuously rolled the dough, squished it, and flattened it, all over again.

"Aigoo, look at how our child has grown. She's so sweet and helpful, isn't she honey?" her mother asked her father, who stood next do her. 

"Yeah.. A life like this isn't that bad now, is it?" Sooyoung's father smiled.

"But you know... sometimes I feel like I want to live a rich life, with all the money in the world, we can buy all the dough we need!" Sooyoung beamed.

Both your parents slightly chuckled. "Sooyoung - ah, moeny isn't everything you know. Money can't buy you happiness, can it? A life like this is better than a rich person's life. They have no privacy, no freedom, and most of all, they don't earn anything, everything is provided for them. A life like that would be boring, not earning a single thing, wouldn't you say?" Sooyoung's father questioned.

"Hmmm.. I guess you're right. But sometimes, it wouldn't hurt to get just a bit of money, don't you think?" Sooyoung asked.

"Yes, at times." her father responded.

Another few hours passed, and Sooyoung had finally made the batch of dough ready for the next day. "I'm going to take a shower and sleep now!" Sooyoung shouted at her parents, who were in the kitchen, cleaning up. 

"Arasseo! Good night and sweet dreams!" they both chorused.

*This life is perfect.* Sooyoung thought, as she went up into the bathroom, the shower taps, and began to wash.

Five minutes later, while she was enjoying her little time, her mother came up, and knocked on the door. "Sooyoung - ah?"

"Yes?" she quickly replied.

"Your father and I are going to go shop for more dough alright? We're running a little low on them. We'll be back in a few minutes. Be sure to lock all the doors when you sleep!" her mother said.

"Sure! Come back safe and sound!" Sooyoung beamed, as she heard her mother's footsteps fade away.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

After she finished taking a shower, Sooyoung dressed into her black and white pajamas, that had a face of a panda at the front. She made sure that she locked all the doors, windows, everything, and then laid on her bed, thinking about how wonderful the day had been. *I sure wish that life like this could continue on forever.* she thought to herself, as she slowly drifted off to sleep. 

Ten minutes later, she woke up, to hear her telephone ringing. "Coming, coming!" she talked to herself, as she ran down the stairs, and picked up the phone.

"Yobeosaeyo?" Sooyoung said.

"Sooyoung, is that you?" the familiar voiced caller quickly asked, panicking.

"Omo! Mrs. Kim! What's wrong? Why are you calling in the middle of the night?" she asked.

"Well, you won't like the sound of this but... Your parents.. 5 minutes ago, died in a .. car accident. You know.. since it was raining and all... and it seems that a car wasn't looking at where they were going, and just suddenly... boom." Mrs. Kim finished, nearly on the verge of crying herself.

As for Sooyoung, she just stood there, dumbfounded, not knowing what to say. She dropped the phone, and a tear rolled down her cheek. When Mrs. Kim realised that she wasn't going to answer, she said goodbye and hung up. Sooyoung picked up the phone, placed it back on the phone holder, and just stood there. *Andwae.. Andwae... This is a nightmare, isn't it? Wake up already, Sooyoung! Wake up, and go welcome your parents back home!* Sooyoung thought to herself, as tears madly flowed down her cheeks.

"No..." was all she could say, as she slowly started feeling unbalanced, and crashed onto the bare floor. 

*How can they just leave me like that? Who's going to take care of the ramen shop? Why.. Umma, appa, why?* she kept thinking to herself, as she began to cry out loudly. 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~