Waiting

Consequences

 

           Driving home from a rather late recording session at SM, Junsu wasn’t really paying attention to the road or anything else for that matter.  Music thoughts swirled around in his head, leaving no room for anything else.  It was a good thing he had driven this route many times before.  As he pulled up to the gates to his condo, he glanced out the window and saw the usual crowd of fans standing around.  There was really nothing he could do about them, but at least the security guards kept all but the sasaeng fans out of the building.  When the gates closed behind him, he glanced at the fans in his rearview mirror again.  Wait, was that - ?  Two of the fans had had suitcases and looked very familiar.  Granted, it was dark and he couldn’t see that well in the dark.  But, he could’ve sworn Robyn and Shandi were in the crowd.  He really wanted to go back and check, but that would have drawn unwanted attention to them and to himself.  Maybe he could send someone out to see if they really were Robyn and Shandi. 

            Walking through the lobby he signaled to one of the security guards to come to him.

            “Yes, sir?”

            “Two of the fans outside had luggage with them and they may be people I was expecting.  Could you go check for me?  Their names are Robyn and Shandi, and they’re American.”

            “Of course.”

            “Oh, send the other fans away first and act like the girls are getting in trouble so that the fans don’t bother them.”

            “Yes,sir.”

            The security guard trotted off towards the entrance and Junsu headed for the elevator.  He would wait for them in his condo and try not to get his hopes up.  He hadn’t really expected to ever see Robyn again.  He had given her his address in what he thought was a vain hope that she would come to visit him.  She must’ve run into a pretty major problem for her to be calling on him so soon after their incident at the ski resort.  Whatever the reason, he would be very happy if that really was her.  He sat on the couch to wait for them…her.  He really hoped it was her.

 


 

            They had been waiting outside in the cold all afternoon for Junsu to come by and let them in.  It was freezing outside!  Robyn couldn’t believe all these fans would come and stand in front of a heavily guarded building just for a chance to see their idol.  Then again, if she hadn’t been through that situation with him, she would probably want to stand out here like all the other fans waiting for Junsu, too. 

            Night had long since fallen and the temperature with it.  It even looked like it might snow soon.  Robyn and Shandi didn’t know when Junsu was going to get back, or even if he was coming back that night. 

            “Shandi, why don’t we just go try to find a hotel?  I’m sure there must be one around here somewhere.”

            “You can’t know that.  Besides, two girls walking around in the dark with suitcases?  That’s a recipe for disaster right there.  No, this is our best bet.”

            There was a commotion as a red sports car pulled up to the gates and the security guards made sure the way was clear.  Standing at the back of the crowd, Robyn and Shandi couldn’t tell who was in the car, but it looked like the pictures she had seen of Junsu’s car.  By the time they shoved their way to the front to get a better look, the car was already inside and the gates were closing behind it.  Oh well, just because it looked like Junsu’s car didn’t mean that it actually was his.  A lot of wealthy people lived in this building and several of them could have red sports cars.  Robyn resigned herself to spending the night out in the cold as they made their way back to their luggage.  They had left it by the wall behind the crowd, but when they got back it was gone.  All of it.  They looked around and finally asked someone, but no one had seen who took it and none of the fans had it.  Well, that was just great.  Now, they had no hotel, no luggage, and it was really cold.  At least Robyn had her duffel bag and Shandi had her purse.  They hadn’t left that stuff by the wall.  No, only their clothes were gone. 

            They were looking around, hoping they could find someone to help them when a security guard tapped them on the shoulder.

            “Excuse me.  What are your names?”

            They turned around to see this abnormally large, freakishly tall (for a Korean which meant he was only a few inches taller than Robyn) man wearing the same uniform as the other, much smaller guards at the gate.

            “Ummm…Robyn Reardan.”

            “Shandi Smith.”

            “Alright.  Could you two come with me for a moment?” 

            He looked menacing and all the fangirls around them backed away whispering to each other about how much trouble two white girls could possibly get into.  Robyn and Shandi shared a terrified glance and followed, trying to make themselves look as harmless as possible.  To their surprise, the guard led them around to a back entrance and into the lobby.

            “Where is your luggage?  I was told you had suitcases.”

            They shared another, more confused glance.

            “Ummm…we think it got stolen.”

            “Stolen.”

            Robyn nodded, “We set it down to get a better look at who was in the red car that drove by and it was gone when we went to look for it.”

            “Well, we’ll see what he wants to do about it.”

            He?  Who were they going to see?  The security guy’s boss?  The security guard led them to the elevator and escorted them to a door on the 12th floor of the building.  It looked far too nice to belong to the security office.  What was going on?

            The guard rang the doorbell and said something in Korean that was too fast for Robyn to understand and left them there.  They heard a click as the door unlocked and they waited for it to open.  Robyn stared at the door for a good minute before she realized that nothing was going to happen.  Whoever was on the other side of the door was obviously not going to open it for them or let them in.  Their only invitation was the click of the lock.  Robyn turned to Shandi.

            “Should we?”

            “Why not?”

            Robyn grabbed a hold of the door handle and pushed it open.