Junsu's Promise

Consequences

 

            SM made her stay in the hospital for several days, to put on a good show for the press.  Eventually, the crowd of fans dissipated from the hospital.  Apparently, they decided that it was a good thing that Junsu had saved her life.  Robyn was just glad they weren’t screaming hate at her any longer. 

            The one good thing about staying in the hospital was Junsu’s visits.  Since he had saved her life, SM told him that it would be good publicity for him to be seen comforting her and making sure she recovered from her ordeal.  Robyn thought Junsu seemed happy to visit her. 

            On the day she was finally released from the hospital (at least a good three days after she recovered completely), SM drove her back to their building to give her further instructions.  She was told to enjoy the rest of her vacation, but that she should leave for America as soon as was possible after her allotted vacation time was over.  Well, that was just great.  It wasn’t like she was planning to stay any longer than a month anyway.  She had school to get back to, and next semester the department had her teaching two of the college algebra classes.  Robyn wasn’t really looking forward to that, though.  College algebra had always been her least favorite subject in school.  Maybe it would be better now that she was teaching it.  At least, that’s what Shandi had told her.  Not that Shandi had ever taught a class before. 

            As soon as SM finished threatening them, Robyn and Shandi grabbed their bags and suitcases and hailed a taxi to take them to the hotel they had planned to stay at.  When they got there, however, they were disappointed to find that their room had been given away.

            “I’m sorry, but you were supposed to have checked in two days ago.  We simply cannot hold rooms longer than one after check-in has passed.”  The attendant at the front desk seemed genuinely sorry that they room was gone, but what about other rooms?  Shandi spoke up.

            “Is there another room you could give us?  We’ll pay up front.”

            The attendant checked her computer.  “I’m truly sorry, but the hotel is fully booked at the moment.  There are no rooms available.  I can call another hotel to see if we can get you a room somewhere else if you would like?” 

            What other choice did they have?

            “Yes, please.”

            “Alright.  Please wait a moment.”  She got on the phone and jabbered away so fast that Robyn and Shandi couldn’t understand what was going on (even with their vastly increased command of Korean).  The attendant hung up the phone and immediately dialed another hotel.  That didn’t seem like a good sign.

            “Excuse me, miss?”  She pulled Robyn and Shandi’s wandering attention back to herself.  “I’ve called all the hotels in the immediate area and none of them have any rooms.  I’m sorry, but I’ve done all I can.”  Joy.  Now they didn’t have a hotel.  Just great.  How were they going to explain that to Robyn’s dad?  He had told them to call as soon as they checked into the hotel and got Korean cell phones.  Robyn gave Shandi a distressed look and walked out of the hotel.  What were they going to do, now?

            “Wait.  Remember that card Junsu gave you?”  Robyn stared at Shandi in confusion for a moment.  Card?  What car- oh yeah.  That card.

 

            As Robyn and Shandi prepared to leave SM’s lobby (hopefully for good), Junsu called after them.

            “Wait a sec.”  He ran over to them.  “Can I see your phone?  I want to give you my phone number in case something happens.  You can call me if you need help or something like that.”  He was so sweet.  Robyn shook her head.

            “I don’t have a phone, yet.  Not one that works as a phone, anyway.  We were planning to buy one when we got to Seoul.”

            “Oh.”  Junsu looked dismayed for a moment, then brightened.  “Here.  You can have my address, then.  That way, if you need help, you can just come see me.”  He searched his pockets for something to write on and found a blank business card.  “Do you have a pen?”  Of course she had a pen.  Robyn always came prepared for stuff like this.  More like, she had stuck one in her purse one time ‘cause she didn’t have anywhere else to put it and never took it out.  But, she could delude herself if she wanted.  It was her own head, after all. 

            She dug around in her purse.  Of course the thing she was looking for had fallen to the very bottom.  Why would it stay where she could get to it?  She handed him the pen.  Junsu scrawled something on the card in English and Korean and handed her both the card and the pen.

            “If you need anything at all, just come by and let me know.  I’ll help.  I promise.”

 

            Standing in front of the absolutely full to the brim hotel, Robyn dug the card Junsu had given her out of her purse.  Again, everything she needed always fell to the bottom.  She sighed.  It was just Murphy’s Law at work: anything that can go wrong will go wrong (and at the worst possible time).  She looked down at Junsu’s handwriting on the card.  Could they really go bother him about this?  Would he even be able to do anything about it?  Of course he could.  Junsu was a DBSK member.  They could do anything. 

            “Let’s find a taxi who’ll take us there.”  Following her own command, Shandi flagged down a taxi.

            “Hi.  Can you take us here?”  Robyn handed the card to the driver, who nodded and took off as soon as they shut the doors.  And Robyn had thought cab drivers in New York were scary?  They had nothing on the cab drivers in Korea.  In no time flat, they pulled to a stop in front of the huge sky rise that held Junsu’s condo.  The driver helped them get all of their things out of the trunk and drove off, leaving them looking lost in front of the gate.  There were two things they hadn’t planned on:  the two mean-looking security guards staring them down like they weren’t supposed to be there.  Uh-oh.