Confession at Lunch.

Warmth Under His Cold Heart.

5AM. Time to get up. Time to take a shower. Time to go to school. Time to see my friends. Time to see..

Taemin.

Ugh, he's all that's in my mind right now! Ever since he gave me that note the day before yesterday, he's been the only one who's lingering in my mind. And yesterday, he helped me from Dave, again.

"Did you not learn your lesson? Or did you just want to receive that punch from me?" I furiously asked him. I was late and here's Dave, blocking my way.

"That boyfriend of yours is not here. So you should just spend some time with me for now." He smirked, leaning towards me. His breath almost made me vomit.

"I guess a bully will always be a bully, eh?" A soft, calm voice said from the other side of the corridor. I jerked my head to the side and there he is. I saw him.

Lee Taemin.

"You never learned, Dave. Did you not hear me last time?" He walked towards us and grabbed Dave's collar with both hands. "I told you..

..not to touch her."

He whispered angrily, and he sounded so.. sincere. I remember seeing him angry when he saved me last time, but not like this one. He looked Dave in the eyes, causing the big boy to back away. Taemin let him go and Dave immediately ran away. He looked at me, and this time, he said something.

"Are you okay?" He asked me. I just nodded and he smiled. And it was.. heavenly.

"See you around." Then he walked away.

I couldn't help but stare at him. He's so cold and dark in front of others, but what I saw is no cold heart. He's so gentle, so sweet.. I finally found the warm heart he has always been keeping inside him.

That scene was replaying in my head for millions of times already. I couldn't sleep for two days because of him. I've been thinking about his perfections and all.

Yes, he's perfect.

I admitted that to myself already. I tried convincing myself that he's not good-looking (or if he is, I don't care), but it's no use. He's too bright for me to not see him..

Wait. Why am I like this? What am I even thinking? My, I need to get ready for school.. Just stop thinking about him, Soojin. If you can't, just stop thinking.


5AM. Time to get up. Time for breakfast. Time for finding a perfect hoodie for camouflage. Time for going to school. Time to see everyone. Time to see..

Soojin.

I wonder if she saw the note that I left her. I mean, she didn't say anything about it yet. And that Dave guy again. Why can't he just leave her alone? Or just bully someone else. (I sound so bad) But not Soojin. Not my Soojin.

Good thing I didn't get to hurt him again. He was so scared that he ran so fast! I was a better bully than him. Heh.

Omo! It's 5:44AM already? 44 minutes of thinking about Soojin? Oh my. I thought it was just for about 5 minutes. I hopped off my bed and into the bathroom. I didn't want to be late for school. I mean, who wants to be?

...

Okay, I admit. I wanted to see Soojin as early as now. So I better hurry up.


"I want to ask you something." I said as I put down my tray on an empty table. The others were still looking at me from the moment we entered the cafeteria. I guess Taemin's coldness is known to everyone.

"What is it?" Taemin asked as he pulled out my chair to let me sit.

"Uh, thanks. Umm, why did you ask me to go have lunch together? I mean, why me?" I looked at him. He suddenly changed his expression from a smiling face to a serious one. I really wanted to know. Why did he even bother asking me?

"Well.. I just wanna.. Well.." He hesitated.

"Just wanna what?"

"Uhmm.. Get to know.. you.. better.." He looked down.

"Ahh.. Okay.." It was still awkward. Of course it is! I'm not used to him talking a lot, since he still acts dry and cold to everyone.

Everyone, except me.

"I just found you really interesting, Soojin-ssi." He admitted. I almost choked on my orange juice. Yeah, right. As if I'm a lot more interesting than the girls who freak out when they see him.

"But why are you so dry around other people?" I can't help but ask him that question.

"I'm not used to having people around me a lot. And I don't like connections." He said as he took a bit of his sandwich.

I felt like my heart dropped. Doesn't.. like.. connections? But why am I even sad about his answer? I mean, I didn't want to have connections with him either. What is to feel sad about?

"But whenever I find someone interesting, it means I wanted to be friends with him or her." He smiled at me. My heart came back up and started beating really fast. His eyes sparkling.. his lips curving up.. it's just.. really beautiful. Plus! He said that he wanted to be friends with me. Me.

"And that rarely happens. Totally rare. You're lucky." He joked. Of course, he smiled wider. My heart threatened to burst any time.

"Maybe not." I muttered. Riyeon just whined and whined when she found out that Taemin talked to me. She doesn't hate me, though. She's just not happy for me. Hahaha.

"Then, maybe I am." He replied, looking at me in the eyes.

"Y-you? Y-y-you're l-lucky? Why is th-that?" I can't help but stutter, seeing is perfection and all.

"I get to be saved from my aloneness by such a nice girl." His melting gaze and his soft, sweet smile froze me in my seat. I couldn't lift my hand up to take another bite. My heart froze as well, and that moment, I couldn't say anything. Then, he chuckled and shifted his gaze to his food as he took another bite.

Finally, I was able to breathe again. Then I remembered.

"Thanks, by the way." I said, not looking at him.

"Hm? For what?" He asked.

"For yesterday. I never got the chance to thank you." Still not looking at him.

"It's nothing. Just tell me if he dared touch you again." He grumbled. He's still mad for what happened yesterday.

"Okay.." I said softly. Maybe he really does care about me.

"Look, I care about you okay?" He looked at me with that gaze again. He really meant what he was saying. But.. what? He cares about.. me?

"..and I mean it." He added. Does that mean.. He likes me? Wait. He hears my thoughts??

He sighed. "Yes.. I like you." He does! Do you like me a lot? Heh. I tried talking in my mind.

"..a lot." He added again. Hah! So I didn't have to say anything. Let me try.. Oh stop it, Soojin! Back to the topic..

"Soojin-ah? Are you okay?"

"Ah, ne. Mianhe. I was just.." I shrugged.

"Arasseo. I understand if you don't like--"

"No!!" I cut him off.


I looked at her, surprised with her action.

"I mean.. It's not like that." Soojin looked down.

"So.. does that mean..?" I didn't want to say the word. But I know she knows it already. Heh.

She just nodded and blushed. She's so cute! I mean, I've seen her like this a lot of times before, but it's my first time seeing her this close! My heart fluttered.. Finally, someone who uncaged me from my loneliness.

The girl sitting in front of me, the girl whom I've watched all this while, the girl who always made me happy by doing nothing, the girl whom I saved from harm, the girl who saved me from my aloneness, the girl whom I liked for a long time now, the girl who said she liked me back just now..

The girl who found the warmth under my cold heart..

Lee Soojin.

The sound of her name sent butterflies in my stomach. I smiled widely at her and I stood up, throwing my arms up.

"Woohoo! She likes me, too! Soojin likes me, too!!!!"

Everyone in the cafeteria, including Soojin, was now looking at me. But I don't care anymore. I stood her up and hugged her really tightly. I've always wanted to hug her like this, but I restained myself because of my cold image.

But now, Soojin warmed my heart totally, and I didn't have to hide beneath the cold me..

..now that she is with me.


I did it. I really did it.

The boy who always stayed in a corner by himself, the boy who is approached by many girls but are always denied, the boy who never really talked to me before, the boy whom I always watched from behind, the boy who saved me from Dave twice, the boy whom I liked, the boy who admitted that he likes me, too..

The boy whose warm heart is finally found by me..

..is Lee Taemin.


끝!