2

Memoirs of a Queenka

 

So that’s how we met. We ended up getting a good grade on our project, if you were wondering.

Flash forward to our first year of high school. Jonghyun and I were practically best friends. We were in the same class again.

“Eunjung, you’re so slow!” he yelled at me, a couple of meters ahead of me.

“Maybe you just walk too fast, Dino!” I yelled back at him smiling.

“What’d you just call me?” he asked.

“Nothing,” I giggled.

“What. Did. You. Just. Call. Me,” he demanded again.

“Dino!” I squealed and began running away from him, laughing. That nickname always made him tick and he knew I knew it. He chased after me and began tickling me when he caught me.

“Stop! Hahahahaa, pl- hahahaahah- please!” I squealed.

“Promise to stop calling me dino!” he demanded, smiling evilly.

“Never!” He ony tickled me more and when I couldn’t take it anymore, I gave in. “Ok, ok! Hahahahaa I- haha- surrender! I won’t call you- hahaha- dino anymore!”

“Good,” he said, and then he ceased his tickle attack. I stood upright and fixed my skirt and when I lifted my head, I was face to adams apple with Jonghyun. I cleared my throat and turned around and began walking before the situation could get awkward.

Jonghyun had become more handsome than before, not that I’d ever admit it to him. He’d been working out for sure. The biceps peeking out from his uniform sleeves were unmistakable and he grew another inch and a half, hence, my eyes are level with his adams apple.

But anyway ~ahem~, that’s not quite what I was getting at.

Our class had named him the “kingka” ok the 1st years, and declared me to be the “queenka.” Where these terms came from and who classified me as one is still unbeknownst to me. Some of the kids in our class even called us ‘the golden couple’ even though Jonghyun and I were strictly only friends. True, I spent most of my free time with him, but we weren’t dating.

“Neh, Jonghyun, let’s go shopping!” I suggested one day at lunch.

“Nah, not my thing,” he said, brushing it off.

“Pleeeeaaassseeee,” I begged. He shook his head and continued eating. “Fine, then I’ll ask Taemin-oppa.” Taemin wasn’t really my oppa, but he was smart enough to skip a grade level- he was in our class. He and I were good friends since we were both in dance club, and he’s a great study partner.

“Taemin? W-wae would you ask him? He might out-pretty you if you go with him. I-I’ll go,” he said, trying to be nonchalant, and failing.

“Ok then,” I chuckled.

“Yah! Why are you calling him oppa? You’re older than him!” he scoffed before taking a huge mouthful of rice.

“He asked me to. He didn’t like being called dongsaeng, why? Kim Jonghyun isn’t jealous, now is he?” I said, teasingly poking his cheek.

“Pssshhh, no,” He said, slapping my hand away.

So after school, we headed out to Hongdae by bus. We window shopped for a while and went to a norebang (karaoke) session for a while. Jonghyun had a beautiful voice, and no matter how much he denied it, you could tell that he was proud of it.

“You should try out for a talent agency one day,” I said.

“I dunno….” he said.

“Why not?”

“When you’re an idol, you don’t get to see your family and friends very often,” then he looked at me intently. Before another word could escape his lips, a waiter brought in drinks. We left the norebang place together and we checked the time. It was 5:30. We went to a street food cart and picked up some good street bulgogi and walked to a park and settled on a small hill. This was some goooood bulgogi too. It was good enough to make us eat it in complete silence. I laid down on the grass and stared at the color-changing sky.

“Neh- Jonghyun, what do you think of people calling us the ‘Golden couple’? It’s really funny, I think,” I chuckled to myself.

“I don’t mind it,” he said. I looked up at him and his back was propped up by a tree and his eyes were closed. I smiled to myself and sat up. I leaning in close and I could tell he could sense it when his eyebrows furrowed.

Then I pinched his cheeks.

“Pabo,” I smiled as he swatted my hands away. At that moment, I got a glimpse of my watch. And hooooly crap, were we out late. It was nearing 7:15 and the bus came at 7:20. I shot up, grabbed his hand and made a beeline for the nearest bus stop. Jonghyun and I made it in time and it took me at least 5 minutes into the bus ride to realize we were still holding hands. I let go as soon as I noticed and he only just looked out the window smiling.

I wonder now that if Jonghyun and I just stayed like this, just friendy, none of the damaging after math of the reality would have happened.