Chapter 4

A Petty Dream of Mine

 

I'm running away. Finally, I thought to myself. I watched through the small window of the airplane as the cars got smaller and smaller.  

 

I leaned back at my seat and closed the blinds. The conversation that I had with my parents still rang in my head.

It was scary how I was becoming more and more like them as I grew up. It's even more terrifying that I didn’t even feel a single drop of guilt when I'd done what I did.

It's more intimidating when I loved that I'd done what I did. 

 

 

Before 

 

"You wanted to talk to us?" Mother said as I arrived in their office. Father was sitting at his table at the other side of the room.  

 

I nodded and made myself comfortable on the leather seat in the middle of the room. Both of them sat on the couch across mine. 

 

"I'll go to the States." I said, straight to the point. "I'll do whatever you want me to do. I'll study business, I'll marry whoever rich bastards you want me to marry. I'll do anything." 

 

Father looked at me suspiciously. "What do you want in return?"  

 

I smiled, "Of course, you know your daughter so well." My smile disappeared as fast as it came. "Ruin the Kims." I said, referring to Minkyung's family.  

 

Mother studied me for a while before asking, "Why?" 

 

I smiled, again. Fake. "You see, dear mother. She took something that's mine, and I'm going to take everything that's hers." 

 

"What do you want us to do?" Father raised his brows. 

 

"Throw them in the slums, send them to an isolated island, I don’t care. Just … ruin her. Ruin her life." 

 

 

Seoul 

 

Minkyung knocked on the door and waited nervously for the door to open."Can we talk?" Baekhyun noticed her troubled face and nodded. He closed the door behind him and followed Minkyung to the bench near his house. 

 

Baekhyun sat on the empty space beside Minkyung. He knew whatever Minkyung will say would not be the best news to him at all. 

 

"Something’s wrong?" Baekhyun placed his hand on her hand. She let out a frustrated sigh and moved her hand away from Baekhyun’s ."This is wrong." Minkyung said. "What?" He was confused at her weird behavior.  

 

"I’m not even your girlfriend and here you are, acting like I’m yours." Minkyung said in frustration "If you want, let’s make it official." Baekhyun smiled. 

 

"How could you even smile when everything is a mess? My best friend.. she doesn’t even talk to me anymore. She ignored my calls, she didn’t reply the hundreds of texts I sent to her."  Minkyung buried her face in her hands . 

 

"I’ll talk to her." 

 

"Are you crazy? Or are you just dumb? You talked to her last time without my permission and look what happened?"  Minkyung glared at Baekhyun. There was a moment of silence before she spoke up "I don’t even like you." 

 

"Huh?" Baekhyun asked , hoping  that he heard wrong. "I just.. I wanted to let Aerin feel what I felt all along. I wanted to take what hers. She’s perfect, she’s smart and she’s pretty too. I just couldn’t stand it when people start to compare me to her. Even my parents do that. Do you even know how it feels? To be compared all the time. It’s frustrating. I would try to be like her but she would always be one step ahead of me." 

 

Minkyung chuckled "I love her. She’s like my sister, my friend. Although she could be ignorant sometimes but that’s just how she is." She sighed and a tear fell but she immediately wiped it away. "I miss her. I miss my best friend."