Chapter 2

A Petty Dream of Mine

 

 Baekhyun started to appear more often than usual and I didn’t feel to good about it. I try to convince myself that it was because they're lab partners but they're close. Like, very close. 

 

We were having out small walk, as usual, before the school starts. Minkyung was talking-- more like bad mouthing the new teacher and I laughed at her joke. Fake. 

 

We made a turn since it's near till 8 and our classroom were in separate buildings. But both of us were stopped by a group of people, to be exactly, by Baekhyun's group of people. 

 

I saw how his friends were snickering and rolling their eyes and I just knew that it had something to do with Minkyung 

 

"Hey, my birthday's coming up, do you guys want to come?" He asked, looking at Minkyung not even sparing a glance at me. 

 

"I would love to." Minkyung smiled and Baekhyun loved her answer as he didn’t even made an effort to hide his excitement. 

 

"Are you in, Aerin-sshi?" I hoped it was him that was asking, but it wasn’t. I made eye contacts with one of his buddies that I believe that goes by the name of Jongin. He's attractive, I could give him that. He gives off that bad boy aura that just pulls in girls. But he sleeps with too many girls for my taste. 

"I don’t know." I shrugged and that was all that I gave as an answer.  

 

"It would be great if you're there, too." And that was Baekhyun. It caught me by surprise and my eyes widened. Why was he talking to me, now? 

 

The guys seems to find my reaction cute as they chuckled. "Cute." I heard from someone. It wasn’t Baekhyun, that I'm sure of and I don’t care. 

 

I smiled sweetly at them as we parted. Fake. "Aren't you excited? What are we going to wear?" Minkyung excitedly blabbered and I was tuning out from her voice.  

 

Do I want to go? Why do I have a bad feeling about this? 

 

 

That day ended with my long text conversation with Minkyung trying to persuade me into going. Her last text got me deep and her words lingered in my mind till I drift off to sleep. 

 

"When you wake in the morning, you have two choices, to sleep and keep dreaming and wake up and chase that dream."  

She was being too dramatic with these things but her words were meaningful.  

 

The next day, as soon as I arrived at school, she didn’t stop trying to make me go as I still didn’t make up my mind. I tried to tune her out and act as if I was really listening but I can't. I have my limits. 

 

"Can you just shut up?" I said as calmly as possible, trying not to make a fuss. She 'zipped' shut and I felt peaceful for a few minutes till she spoke up again. 

 

I shrugged her hand away from mine harshly and glared at her. "Shut up goddammit Minkyung, just shut the up." I tried to stay calm but I lost it.  

"Why are you being like this?" Her lips quivered in fear and tears were pooling in her eyes. She hasn’t seen that side of me and that was the first time. It was my first time raising my voice at her, it was my first raising my voice, ever. 

 

I sighed in defeat looking at her shocked state. I smiled at her as I apologized. "I'm sorry, I .. I gotta go."  

 

The kids in my classroom scrambled off as  came in. They clearly saw the small argument I had and I tried to smile.  

 

"Are you okay, Aerin?" Some of them acted as if they were concerned while I knew the bigger part of them were insulting me for yelling at their precious goddess. Pftt. 

 

"Sheeshh, she shouldn’t be so harsh on Minkyung."  

 

I calmed myself down, if I burst out in anger , that wouldn’t do good for my parents' good name, for the company's good name. And I did what I do best. I kept quiet, smiling from time to time. Fake.

 

 

Minkyung has a relation with my family and sooner or later my parents will find out about me raising my voice so I made a move to make everything better again. 

I roamed my eyes in the throng of crowd and finally I found her perfectly curled brunette hair amongst them. "Excuse me." I said, trying to get through.  

I was about to call for her when I passed the crowd but my raised-arm fell limply by my side as I saw Byun Baekhyun reaching out to her.  

 

 

I dried my hair as I tied the robe tighter. I looked at the dress what I picked out for the party tonight and sighed. "I want to go." But I know going wouldn't benefit me in any way.  

And so I dumped the dress into the nearest bin and changed into my sleepwear. I bury myself in the countless number of duvets and let myself drift off to sleep, letting a dream go. The only dream that I thought I would have. 

 

 

 

What I was oblivious about was the fuss that happened at Baekhyun's party. The spotlight was on them and the crowd was in silence as they waited for his next action. 

 

And after he did, the whole crowd gasped at the unbelievable scene. 

 

 

"I know it." 

 

"There goes my chance." 

 

"Of course he chose the goddess."