001: Hey Pretty Boy

Dreams Come True || A Collection

001  Hey Pretty Boy


Characters: Choi Min Ki/Ren (NU'EST), Lee Jihyun (OC), NU'EST
Summary: Ren of NU'EST is pretty for a boy, earning him the name "pretty boy". But being a pretty boy isn't always a good thing.
Date: April 1, 2012
Poster: Thanks to Come at Me Bro for the amazing poster!

Type/Genre: One-shot, songfic
Word Count: 4516


Hey pretty boy
You ain't got nothing on me
Hey ladies
(Yeah)
Let's go


Ren strutted down the hallway with his group mates, NU'EST. JR was positioned in the middle of them all, with both Baekho and Aron by his side. Ren and Minhyun were in the back of them all, but could still clearly be seen by everyone. Everyone's gazes were all on them, girls ogling them from afar, guys envying them in the distance. This was a daily routine for them all, but they didn't mind the attention. In fact, they all enjoyed the attention, especially Ren.

JR was the leader of the group, but he wasn't the oldest. Even though he wasn't the oldest, everyone still listened to him. He got the role of being the leader because he was the most responsible out of them all. That, and that he already looked like the leader type. He had the looks and the skills to become the leader, and here he is now, the leader of NU'EST. Though he looks cold on the outside, JR is actually warm-hearted in the inside. But he could be strict when he wants to be. He takes the role of being the leader very seriously. Despite his cold looks, he has a rather cute voice when speaking, causing the girls to swoon for him. A bonus for the girls was that he could also dance.

Aron is actually the oldest of the group, but he bares no grudges to JR becoming the leader instead of him. Being the leader of a group was hard work, which also took a lot of responsibility. Just because he was the oldest, doesn't mean he had to be the leader. Aron thought of himself not ready to become the leader, and so he allowed JR to become the leader of NU'EST instead. And he doesn't regret that decision one bit. Aron is the most fluent in English, unlike the other members. There are times when he would speak English out loud, but no one will be able to understand him. Many girls like the fact that he can speak in English, but not only that. With his kind personality, it's hard not to like him.

Baekho is the third oldest of the group, and has the most easy-going out of them all. He has a fun and playful personality, and is kind to everyone he see's. No one can recall a time where he has been rude to others. His charm was his personality, and because of that, it was very uncommon for people not to like him. Baekho was a likeable person, and no one has ever gotten annoyed by him before. Not only do girls adore his personality, but they also love his charming smile that could almost melt anyone's heart.

Minhyun was the fourth oldest and second youngest of the group. He was quite tall, despite his age, making him look a bit intimidating towards others. He kept to himself most of the time, but was actually quite friendly. Though his looks like look a bit intimidating, he was actually very polite and sweet. Being polite and sweet was what made the girls swoon for him.

Ren was the youngest of the group, the maknae. He was very pretty, despite being a boy, and many have called him a "pretty boy". Ren didn't mind it when others called him that, he acknowledged it himself. Not only his feminine looks made him stand up, but so did his blond hair. Ren rarely smiles, and no one in school, besides NU'EST, has every witnessed him smile before. Ren's charm was his feminine looks, it seemed to attract many girls, especially noona's.

About 99% of the girls and guys worship NU'EST, but there still leaves 1% left. That 1% is the new girl that had just transferred to Pledis High today. Unlike everyone else, she didn't worship NU'EST. They crossed paths in the morning, while they were on their way to school, but she just walked passed NU'EST without even sparing a single glance. Of course, this didn't go unnoticed by NU'EST. Most of them shrugged it off, all but one.

 

In order for you to never have thoughts on looking at someone too much
I'll steal both of your eyes' gazes and spill them in my heart
Wanna flow with me? I can do that
Wanna dance with me? You can do that
Don't mistake me to be the same as other girls
Who am I?

 

The front doors of Pledis High opened, and a girl with long wavy hair that reached her waist walking into the building. No one, but one person, noticed her presence. And that one person was none other than Ren. He eyed her up and down with his sharp gaze as she came closer and closer to where they were. Soon enough, she was right in front of them. 

Gasps were heard as she stood in the path of NU'EST. No one has every stood in their paths before, and whenever they were roaming around the hallways, students would all move to the side to make room for them. This was the first time someone has ever stood in their way, and Ren didn't like it one bit. Ren and the rest of the members stopped in their tracks as they noticed the new girl in front of them.

Ren raised an eyebrow at her while crossing his arms. He wanted to tell her to move out of the way, but he stayed silent. Like in most situations when someone actually did approach NU'EST, Ren would always stay silent and let his hyungs do all the talking. And just like how it always has been, he's going to let his hyungs do all the talking. When he actually does speak, he is the most rude one out of them all.

JR smiled at her and spoke in his soft voice towards her. "Excuse me, Miss..." His voice trailed off, not knowing what to call her. This was the first time she has ever made contact with NU'EST before.

Ren rolled his eyes at her, knowing where this was all going. At first, he thought that the new girl was different. But he's seen all of this before. Where a girl goes up to the guy she likes and confesses to him. He's witnessed it all, and he knows exactly where this is all going. He couldn't hold it in anymore, and so he finally decided to speak him. "Don't even bother with her, JR hyung. She just wants to confess to you." The students around them gasped as Ren spoke. Even his hyungs were surprised that he was actually speaking. He never really spoke when around other people than NU'EST. "Am I right, new girl?" Ren took a step forward, eyebrows raised.

The girl raised her eyebrow at Ren, staring at Ren with distaste. The two were now face-to-face, and since Ren was slightly taller than her, he was glowering down at her. "Don't be quick to assume, especially when you barely even know me. I'm not like them," The girl motioned to all the girls surrounding them all. "I'm not that easy."

 

You're gonna pay for seeing me as easy, just because I'm young
I could easily take away your heart in a moment, like 1, 2, 3, 4
Now a bit more truthfully, please stop your games
Time is the issue, boys, boys
Gonna make you mine, mine

 

The girls around them were now glaring daggers at the girl. The boys were astonished that she was talking to NU'EST in such a cold manner. This was the first time they have all witnessed someone talk to them this way. None of them ever thought it would be possible.

The girl smirked at them all, as she crossed her arms. "Do you know what irritates me the most?"

"No, I don't. And frankly, I don't want to know." answered Ren.

The girl ignored his response, and continued on with talking. "You all irritate me. I haven't been at this school for a long time, but it's enough time for me to know that you are all being worshipped in this school like Gods."

"YAH! You shouldn't use God's name in vain!" shouted a student among the crowd, which sounded like a girl, considering the high-pitched voice. The girl rolled her eyes at them, but didn't respond back to them. She kept her eyes focused on NU'EST, but mostly Ren. 

 

We have to hurry, I can't feel the regret
I'd rather it be you than miss out
Inside the tension, my mind feels like it's in a trance
Wake up, I've won the game
 

 

"Your going to regret saying that." said JR. He smiled at her, but his smile wasn't the kind or gentle smile he usually gave to others. No, this smile was more of a bittersweet smile. "Your going to be bullied by a lot of students after this."

The girl shrugged, not caring. "So? Do I look like I care? I regret nothing, because I meant every word. I'm not going to be like everyone else, who worships you all. I'm just going to treat you all like regular students that attend this school." Ren scoffed at her behavior, while the rest of NU'EST stayed silent. They all stared at the new girl, waiting for her to say something. But she didn't. Instead, she moved out of their way, and went her own way.

"She thinks she's all that," muttered Ren as he watched her walk away.

Before the girl was going to turn a corner, she turned back around. By now, the entire student body had their eyes on her. She noticed that all of their attention were all on her, but she ignored it. "By the way, the names Lee Jihyun. Remember it, because your not seeing the last of me." With that being said, Jihyun turned the corner, making her way towards wherever her first class was.

Ren rolled his eyes at Jihyun as she disappeared from their sight. Right when she disappeared, the crowd around them broke into chatter. JR jerked his head forward, signaling for them all to follow him. They all complied. JR led them all away from the crowd, who seemed to forgotten about them, and instead talked about the new girl.

JR led them to a empty classroom, which was often used by NU'EST. The members would often meet up there and hang out, just to have a peaceful time amongst themselves. There are times when even they are tired of all the attention they recieve. They all took a random chair, and formed a circle. Once they have all settled down, the classroom was full of silence.

Aron broke the silence, not liking to be in silence for to long. "So... Lee Jihyun, huh?" Just the mention of the girls name made Ren wrinkle his nose in irritation. That girl annoyed him more than all of the girls that stalked them 24/7.

Minhyun noticed Ren's actions and let out a soft chuckle. "What about her, hyung?"

"She's... Different." Aron said, thinking back on the moment where they all first met her, which wasn't to long ago.

Baekho nodded her head, "It's good to know that she's treating us like regular people, but she could have done it in a nicer way."

Minhyun nodded in agreement, "That Jihyun girl kind of scares me."

"Why?" asked JR, curious on why his dongsaeng could be afraid of girl. Minhyun was about twice her size. "She's a girl, plus your taller than her. What's there to be afraid of?" The rest of the members, with an exception of Minhyun and Ren, broke into laughter.

Minhyun shrugged, "She seemed a bit intimidating back there."

"What do you think of her, Ren?" asked Baekho. The maknae had been silent the whole time, which wasn't a big surprise. Baekho didn't want Ren to feel left out, but he was also curious on what he thought of the new girl.

Ren flipped his bangs to the side, but they just came back down to the same spot as before. "I don't like her. She's rude and she thinks she's all that." That wasn't even half of the things that Ren wanted to say, but he refrained from speaking anymore. He wanted to keep his cool in front of them.

"I think she's just a girl who's very blunt and likes to speak her mind. Who knows? Underneath that cold interior could be a girl with a soft heart." said Aron as he shrugged.

Ren scoffed, not believing that a girl like her could actually have a soft heart. Aron was nice, but sometimes he was too nice. Like Ren, he should be angry at the girl for speaking in a rude tone towards them.

JR stood up from his chair, stretching out his arms and legs. "We should head to class, we missed about 10 minutes of it already. The teachers and students all think were good kids, and I don't want their opinion of us to change."

"Think were good kids? Were all good kids, they should all know that by now. No need to worry, just come up with an excuse and then were all good." said Baekho, as he to sat him from his chair and began stretching. The rest of the members followed suit, but Ren was the only one who didn't stretch. He didn't see any reason on why he needed to, and so he just stayed put.

"What kind of excuse?" Minhyun asked him.

Baekho shrugged, "Anything, they will believe us, even if it's a very unbelievable lie."

"So if we say that we got lost along the way, they will believe us?" Aron asked him.

Baekho nodded with a smile, "Trust me, they will."

 

 

Jihyun stared out the window, not paying attention to anything to teacher was saying. They were learning about a topic that she had already learned about at her old school. She didn't feel like refreshing her memory, and so she just stared out the window, waiting for her first class to be over.

The classroom door opened, breaking Jihyun out of her trance. She looked away from the window and to the door, to see who had arrived late to class. Once she turned her attention towards the door, she instantly regretted that she did. It was just them.

"NU'EST? How come you are all late?" asked the teacher.

Baekho nudged Aron's arm, motioning for him to speak. Aron nodded and cleared his throat. "Well... We got lost along the way. And it took awhile for us to find the classroom, because we had no idea where we were... Uh, going."

Jihyun rolled her eyes at their obvious lie. It was to hard to believe. Who would believe a lie like that? But it seems like the teacher thought differently than her.

"Oh," the teacher nodded. "Perfectly understandable! Just take your seats and we will go on with the lesson."

They all bowed at the teacher, "Thank you!" NU'EST rushed towards the seats, all with smiles, with an exception of Ren. There seats so happened to be in the back, where Jihyun so happened to be sitting.

"Just great," mumbled Ren in annoyance. They all took their seats silently, with Ren being the only one throwing daggers at Jihyun. Why? Ren didn't like her, and he also had to sit next to her. Minhyun and Aron sat in front of them, while JR and Baekho were behind them.

Jihyun groaned as she saw their seating arrangements, also because the one that irritated her the most was sitting right next to her. It didn't go unnoticed by her either, Jihyun could feel the glares from Ren. She simply chose to ignore it, resisting the urge to shout at him or glare back. "I don't get what people see in you," muttered Jihyun as she fiddled with a pencil in her hands. 

 

Hey pretty boy, you're lacking something
You don't have any charm, you're just pretty
Hey pretty boy, put some effort into it
More like a man, more with personality
Ch-ch-ch-change yourself

 

Ren, being able to hear this, glared even harder at her, if that was possible. "What are you trying to say?" He felt insulted by her words. It's like she was calling him 'ugly', and Ren was 100% that he was nowhere near ugly. "If your jealous of me, just say so."

Jihyun clicked her tongue at him while rolling her eyes. "Hey pretty boy, you seem to be lacking something." Ren's ears perked him upon hearing that he lacked something. She smirked as she saw Ren curiously glancing at her. "You have no charm, your just pretty. And you know what?" Ren stayed silent, but his eyes urged for Jihyun to continue on with her sentence. "You need to be more manly and have more personality. Your like a wallflower! You should definitely change yourself."

Ren's eyes widened at the word 'wallflower'. He knew that he looked girly, but no one has ever called him a wallflower. Sure, he was quiet and kept to himself, but he has never once considered himself as a wallflower. "I'm not a wallflower."

"Denial," replied Jihyun as she faced the teacher. It was her first day, and she didn't want to get caught slacking off. It would only leave a bad impression and first impressions are important. After that, the two stopped talking to each other, and pretended to pay attention to the lesson. Though it was obvious that no one was paying attention to the teacher, they continued on with the lesson.

 

Now throw your hands in the air
Wave 'em like you don't care
Now throw your hands in the air
And wave 'em like you just don't care

 

The next day, Ren came to school with his hyungs like always. But instead of staying silent, he was talking more. When other students dared try and strike a conversation with him, he responded back to them. He had very small conversations with anyone who came to talk to him, but it was still considered talking. This confused and surprised the other members of NU'EST, but they spoke nothing about it. They all assumed that Ren was just in a good mood and didn't bother with the topic.

Baekho jumped onto Ren's back, playfully ruffling his blonde hair, which he had spent hours in the morning to turn into perfection. Anyone could right away spot the annoyance in Ren's eyes as Baekho ruffled his hair. But since Baekho was his hyung, Ren couldn't do anything about it.

"Yah!" Ren shouted as he released himself from Baekho's grip.

Baekho laughed at him, "Sorry, I just couldn't resist. And don't yell at your hyung like that!" Ren ignored him, but it was obvious that he had heard him. He took out a small compact mirror from his pocket and began to fix himself up. Annoyance was written all over his face, but there was nothing that he could do. He was the youngest after all.

 

Confidence is good, you're fair
But it's embarrassing where you're weak
Please show me some strong charms
I like bad boys, soldier type

 

Jihyun, along with a girl she met yesterday, then came into their view. They were walking down the hallways with each other, side by side, chatting away happily. NU'EST looked at them, a bit surprised that Jihyun was able to make a friend, despite there little event that took place yesterday morning. The two were going to walk past them, making them in earshot to listen to their conversation. 

"Jihyun, what kind of guys do you like?" The girl asked Jihyun, her eyes full of curiosity.

"Ideal type?" Jihyun repeated the question. The girl nodded her head eagerly.

"Yeah, like how I like cute guys with a great personality and..." The girl blushed and fiddled with her fingers. She then whispered the last part to Jihyun, but it could still be heard by NU'EST. "With a nice body."

Jihyun giggled at her friends description, finding it funny. "Let's see," She was hesitant for a moment, but then responded with a shy smile. "I like bad boys, soldier types."

"Bad boys, huh?" The girl asked and then smirked. "Then I know the perfect guys for you!"

Jihyun raised her eyebrow in curiosity, wondering who she was talking about. "Who?"

"NU'EST!" The girl shouted in glee, a bit to loud for Jihyun's liking.

At the mention of their name, Jihyun's face quickly fell. "NU'EST?" She scoffed and crossed her arms. It was obvious she still didn't like them, and it seemed like her opinion of them wasn't going to change anytime soon. "Yeah right, I don't like them. They are all guys with a lot of confidence, but are actually weak."

JR raised his eyebrow, "Weak?"

"We aren't weak," mumbled Minhyun as he stared at the ground.

The two girls didn't hear them speak, and just continued walking down the hallways. Ren narrowed his eyes at them, but it was mostly Jihyun who he was glaring at. The name he hated being called the most besides "pretty", was "weak". He was most definitely not weak.

Without thinking twice, Ren marched his way over toward Jihyun and her friend. He went right in front of them, blocking them from walking away even further. He glared down at Jihyun dangerously, but she didn't flinch. Her friend, however, did and took a step back in surprise. "R-Ren!"

"What do you want?" Jihyun asked him, with obvious distaste in her tone. She glared back at him, resulting in both of them into having a glaring contest. "You know, if you keep on glaring, you'll get wrinkles."

"I see you've learned that from experience." said Ren as he smirked slightly. Jihyun's eyes twitched at his comment, but managed to keep her cool. She let out a small huff, clenching her fists. "I couldn't help but overhear your conversation about us."

"You know, it's not nice to eavesdrop." Jihyun crossed her arms, still glaring.

Ren's glare hardened even more as he retorted back at her. "It's not nice gossiping."

 

It's okay if you're not too tall, like Napoleon
Like a bad boy who'll take over the world, don't hide like a coward
That's right, the one I need is a black knight

 

Jihyun took a step forward, "Look who's acting like a bad boy."

Ren raised his eyebrow at her, "Oh? Don't you like bad boys?" Jihyun turned a slight shade of pink and turned away so Ren wouldn't see it. But it was too late. He already noticed this, causing him to smirk. "You did say that, right?" He asked Jihyun's friend, and she quickly nodded her head in agreement. She gave a apologetic smile to Jihyun as she did so.

Jihyun nodded at her, assuring her that it was alright. "Yes, I do like bad boys. I like bad boys who don't hide like cowards. I don't like cowards. It doesn't matter if they are tall or not, or handsome or not. They have to be like a black night, which is obviously not you."

 

Hey boy to the left to the left
Pretty boy who's full of it, move to the left
I feel it all day, smiles without sincerity
Your style isn't appealing

Outside, you're a tough gangster boy
But at home, you're a broke mama's boy

It's weak, a weak plant in a green house
Pretty boys are so out of style

 

"Move to the left, your in our way." Jihyun told him as she shoved him slightly to the side. She shook her head at him as she eyed him up and down. "People call you a fashionista when your style isn't even appealing. Your way out of style."

Ren growled at her as she kept on putting him down with insults. Forget about people calling him "pretty" or "weak", calling him out of style was way out of line. By now, a crowd has formed around them, and the NU'EST members stood in silence as they watched the two exchange words with each other.

 

We have to hurry, I can't feel the regret
I'd rather it be you than miss out
Inside the tension, my mind feels like its in a trance
Wake up, I've won the game

 

Jihyun smirked as Ren stayed silent. She had won today's game. "Just like yesterday, I won this game." Her smirk then faded into a frown as she saw the hurt in Ren's eyes. And just like that, she felt a pang of guilt hit her heart. She had went too far.

 

Hey pretty boy, you're lacking something
You don't have any charm, you're just pretty
Hey pretty boy, put some effort into it
More like a man, more with personality
Ch-ch-ch-change yourself

You're too P.R.E.T.T.Y
Don't just rely on your pretty face to steal a girl's heart
You're not for me, I'm not for you

You're too P.R.E.T.T.Y
Don't just rely on your pretty face to steal a girl's heart
You're not for me I'm not for you

 

"Ren," Jihyun called his voice in a soft tone, surprising everyone, even Ren. This was the first time she had ever spoken to Ren in a soft tone. "I'm sorry for all the things I said to you and NU'EST, but I'm not saying that I am wrong. Nobody likes someone who acts cocky or all that. And you shouldn't always rely on your looks to get something you want, especially to steal a girls heart."

 

Men say that girls just have to be pretty
We just have to be nice

We hope that men can be like men
You got to be a real man

 

"You should act like a real man, don't rely on just being "pretty". Those people who rely on there looks have no charm or personality whatsoever. Remember that," With one last smile, Jihyun began walking away. The crowd made a path for her to go through in silence. Jihyun's words all in their heads. Ren stared at her retreating figure, until she disappeared, her words replaying in his head.

 

 

As days passed, Ren changed. He was still a "pretty boy", but he had more personality. He talked more and became more outgoing. Soon enough, he began to smile around people other than NU'EST. Ren was still a fashionista, but his clothing become more manly, but still had a small feminine touch to it. His smile and personality became his charm, and he no longer had no charm. Ren had finally changed into a real man.

 

Hey pretty boy, you're lacking something
You don't have any charm, you're just pretty
Hey pretty boy, put some effort into it
More like a man, with more personality
Ch-ch-ch-change yourself

Now throw your hands in the air
Wave 'em like you don't care

Now throw your hands in the air
And wave 'em like you just don't care


FlyingHigh Speaking:

This was my first one-shot, and it was a complete fail. The story didn't  follow along with the lyrics, and I apologize for that. Feel free to subscribe and comments are always welcomed! I got the lyrics from here! I don't own the GIF's below, they were all found on tumblr.