The Red Haired Boy and the Overprotective Man

A.Mi.GO

        Loud running footsteps echoed through the math and science hall of Seoul Public High School. “Aish!” a girl’s voice echoed with the footsteps. “Why does school have to start so early?!”

 

        “Hurry up, Han Myeong, you’ll be late again!” a teacher yelled from his doorway. Myeong jetted past him, grumbling under her shallow breathing.

 

         Han Myeong always arrived at school exhausted from her morning run. Her dark brown hair was strategically pulled up into a ponytail, while her brown eyes gleamed with her determination to be in her Chemistry before the late bell. Soon enough, the class door came into view and that’s when Myeong put it into overdrive. 

         As she practically collapsed into the room, the late bell rang. To her disappointment, her teacher was not in the class yet. “Aish,” she growled as she dragged herself onto the seat next to her best friend, Nam Taeyeon.

        “Myeong-ah, almost late again,” Taeyeon said with a sigh. Myeong noticed that Taeyeon had dyed her, yet again: the ends of her hair bleached and golden, while the top half was dark brown. Her dark brown eyes could seem kind one second and intimidating the next. But, this time they looked at Myeong in irritation. Myeong could only look away, biting her lower lip. She could still feel her friend’s strong gaze boring into her skull.

        “Yah! Stop staring at me!” Myeong said, playfully punching Taeyeon on the arm, causing laughter from the two.

 

         “Here, let me help you.” Taeyeon said as she fixed Myeong’s misplaced hair. The classroom door opened, and their teacher walked in carrying a notebook that he was tapping on his shoulder.

 

         “Good morning, Park-seongsaeng.” the class said in unison. 

 

         “Good morning class,” he replied. “Today, we will start class with a new seating arrangement!” 

 

         The class answered back with a sea of groans. Myeong and Taeyeon looked at each other with frowns on their faces and held each others hand. There was no way that they would be sitting next to each other, and they were right. 

 

         “Han Myeong, you’ll sit next to next to Lee Taemin.” the teacher announced. Myeong sat there in confusion and looked to Taeyeon, who had a smirk playing on her lips.

 

         “Who the hell is Taemin?” Myeong whispered.

 

          “He’s the adorable guy sitting next to the window over there with red hair.” Taeyeon pointed out. Myeong followed Taeyeon’s gaze to a guy sitting next to the window, taking out his supplies from his bag. Myeong shrugged and grabbed her bag. After hugging Taeyeon, she was now sitting next to the boy.

 

           His hair was dyed a deep red that was enhanced when the sunlight hit it. He also had flawless pale skin. Taeyeon was right, he was adorable. “Annyeong...” he said, stopping Myeong from staring at him.

 

           “A-Annyeong.” Myeong stuttered, her face getting red from embarrassment. 

 

           “I’m Taemin.” he smiled.

 

           “I’m Myeong.” she replied while getting her supplies, trying to avoid eye contact. 

 

           “You’re the one who’s almost always late, right?” he asked. 

 

           Myeong shyly smiled and nodded her head. “It’s because of the homework; I don’t understand it. So I stay up late.”

 

           Taemin pursed his lips together and quickly tapped Myeong’s arm, getting her attention. She looked up at his smiling face in confusion. “I can help you, if you want,” he stated. “I understand the homework.” He beamed, causing Myeong to smile, too.

 

          “Really? It’s not bothersome?” she questioned. He shook his head and smiled again. He, then, began to tear off a side of his paper and scribble something down before giving it to Myeong. 

           “It’s my number, in case you need me.” he grinned. Myeong did the same and handed her number to him.

 

 

 

**********

 

            It was 4:30PM when Taemin and Myeong were studying together in the school’s library. Since they were the only ones there, except the occasional librarian who popped in and out with books, the only sound was coming from the ticking of the clock. Myeong did not like the silence since it frustrated her even more than the homework. The silence broke when Taemin started rustling through his bag to find something. Myeong looked up at him, but found a piece of candy on her face held up in his hand. “Candy?” he asked, his eyes sparkling like a little child. Myeong happily took it and popped it into . 

           

           “Thank you.” Myeong beamed. But, her smile faded when she looked back down at her work. She furrowed her eyebrows and swung her arm, causing her book to fall to the ground and startling Taemin.

           “Myeong...?” Taemin asked as he went to pick up the fallen book.

 

           “I don’t understand any of it! No matter what!” Myeong growled, hiding her face behind her hands. Taemin placed the book back on the table and sat next to her. He gently grabbed her hand and held it in his own. His warmth giving a calming effect for Myeong. She looked at him with pained eyes.

           “Don’t worry. I’ll help you, okay, friends stick with friends through it all.” he reassured her with a smile. A smile that was contagious to Myeong.

 

           “Myeong-ah!” a voice called out in the library, startling both of them. Except, Myeong knew this voice, the familiar husky voice. 

 

            The mysterious voice belonged to a man who was walking towards them. He was about six-feet tall; a little bit taller than Taemin. His hair was dark-brown, almost black, and his eyes were an intimidating brown. Myeong ran towards him. “Son Dongwoon!” she squealed.

            He laughed and caught her in his strong arms. After he let go, he ruffled her hair.  “I went by your house and you weren’t there.” he claimed, playfully pouting at her.

 

           “I was here studying,” she said. “But you’re back early from Japan!” 

 

           “Yeah, that’s what happens when you finish your job early,” he chuckled.

 

           Taemin slowly stood up, catching Dongwoon’s attention. Myeong turned to look at Taemin and smiled. She dragged Dongwoon to meet Taemin, but obviously he didn’t want to. “Taemin, this is Son Dongwoon. He’s a childhood friend,” she said with a smile on her face. “Dongwoon, this is Lee Taemin, he was helping me study.” 

 

           Dongwoon got irritated by the minute as he stared at Taemin. “Myeong-ah, it’s getting late, we should leave.” Dongwoon suggested, not taking his eyes off Taemin.

           “Yeah, it is. Just let me put this book back.” she said as she picked up the book. Once she was gone, Dongwoon growled and stepped closer to Taemin , who stepped back because of how much bigger Dongwoon was. Taemin had an expressionless face as Dongwoon glared at him. 

           “Listen, kid, if you lay any moves on Myeong, I’ll beat you up senseless. Understand?” he snarled.

           

           “I understand.” Taemin said obediently. Dongwoon scoffed and packed up Myeong’s things into her bag and slung it on his shoulder as she came back. 

 

           “Thanks, Dongwoon-ah.” Myeong smiled.

 

           “I’ll carry your bag.” Dongwoon said as Myeong held out her hand, asking for it, but smiled and allowed him. She turned to Taemin and bowed.

 

           “Thank you for helping me, Taemin.” she thanked him before Dongwoon led Myeong out of the library.

 

           Taemin clenched his jaw as he watched them walk out. Why did he have to be in her life? “Aish...” he grumbled as his fist came down on the table.