The Nightmare I Loved.

Protective Nightmare.

It's Monday. School starts again, and will go on in five consecutive days. Five days of waking up really early. Five days of listening to boring lessons we won't even use when we grow up. Five days of going home, drowning in exhaustion. And the worst: five consecutive days of seeing my worst nightmare, Kim Kibum.

I walked to school as usual, following my choreography in avoiding Key's deadly traps which I already memorized, and sitting on a different chair everyday because of a certain trap. I leaned back and plugged my earphones.

"Looking good, Paris girl." Key suddenly showed up. I pretended I didn't notice him and just kept my eyes closed. "Ya, do you even hear me?!" He pulled out one of my buds.

"What do you want?!" I asked, sounding annoyed. Everyone was looking at us now, since I'm the only one in the entire school who isn't afraid of getting in Key's way.

"That's better. Well, I just wanna ask you.. Did you bring extra shoes?" He asked out of the blue.

"Uh, no. Why?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Too bad. Guess you won't be going anywhere today, Paris girl." He chuckled as he walked away and joined his friends.

Then it struck me.. My boots are glued on the floor. Well, as if this isn't like any other days. I opened my bag and pulled out a glue-remover spray I bought somewhere. I never thought I'd use this baby. I sprayed it in between my feet and the floor a couple of times, then the glue slowly dissaturates. I fixed myself and sat down again, and everyone around me went away. I plugged my buds in my ears again and closed my eyes.

*Krrrrrrrrrrrrring!*

The bell rang for four times before it was finally lunch break. Great. More chances of getting bullied by Key and his friends. Well, they cornered me and tried to steal something from my bag. They got a couple of bills, and in return, they each received two punches and two kicks. I walked away and bumped into Key.

"Now, now, where are you going, Paris girl?"

"It's not like you care." I replied.

"I'm asking you a question." His voice became serious.

"So, if I don't answer, you're gonna start bullying me to death?" I provoked him.

He didn't answer at first. His eyes were only locked on me. "Do you really think I'd go to the extent of letting you get hurt?" He murmured.

I don't get it. Like.. really. I don't. I just rolled my eyes. "It's not like you haven't done enough." Then I walked away.

Monday just passed by like that. Classes ended at 5PM, but what Key said kept repeating in my head. What does he mean by 'letting you get hurt'? I mean, I'm totally fine with his level of bullying, but what does it have to do with me getting hurt? He's a bully, right? A bully's 'job' is to 'hurt' someone, either physically, emotionally, or mentally. Or whatever. It just.. confuses me. Like.. a lot. I got home and my mom was cooking dinner.

"How's school, sweetie?" She asked.

"Just fine, like any other school days." I replied. My parents don't know about the 'Key-kept-on-bullying-me-ever-since-I-met-him' thing. They know we're good friends.

"Well, go change. Dinner's going to be ready in a minute." My dad said. I nodded and went upstairs. And guess what? As I changed, my thoughts kept on going back to Key. I. Can't. Get. Him. Out. Of. My. Head!!!

I went down and sat on the dinner table. We ate our dinner, and I washed the dishes. As soon as I finished, I heard my dad call out from outside.

"_____, could you get the keys of the car for me?" He called out.

"Keys..?" My hearing just emphasized the word 'keys'. What's wrong with me?!

"Yes, sweetie. The keys." My dad said again. Was it because I was thinking of him too much? If that's so, why am I even thinking of him in the first place?!

"_____! The keys!" My dad yelled at me.

"Ah! Ne!" I reached for the keys above the fridge, and handed it to him. My mom went out as well.

"What's with you? Looks like you aren't yourself today." My dad said.

"Uh, it's nothing. I'm just.. sleepy. Yaaaaaw~" I faked a yawn. "So, where are you going?" I asked him as he opened the driver's seat.

"I have to rush to the hospital. Your grandma's gonna be operated today, I have to be there. I hope she's okay.." He said. I just nodded. "Well, go get some sleep. You have school tomorrow. Stay with your mom, okay? Bye." He kissed my forehead and he bid my mom goodbye as well. Then, he drove away.

"Grandma's gonna be okay, right?" I asked my mom.

"Yeap, now stop worrying about her and go get some sleep. She doesn't want us to worry." My mom kissed my forehead as well and we went inside. I went to my room and tucked myself in.

And guess what? Kim Kibum's inside my head!!!!!!!!!! Get out!!!


"_____? Wake up now.." My mom's voice sounded.. sad. It's 5AM in the morning and her eyes are a bit swollen.

"Mom? What's wrong?" I sat up. She took a deep breath before she spoke.

"Your grandma.. didn't make it." Tears rolled down her cheeks. It took time for it to sink in. My heart sank deep.. My grandma took care of me when I was born in Paris, and I had to be parted from her since we have to move here in Seoul. But she followed when she was diagnosed with a disease, and I haven't seen her yet. And now.. I won't ever get the chance to.

I hugged my mom, and she did as well. I cried my heart out- I can't take the pain.. My heart hurts so bad. It's like my whole world came crashing down. It's like my nightmares never end. My mom let go of my hug and turned to me.

"You have to get ready to go to school, dear. Later, we'll go to your grandma's place, okay?" She kissed my forehead and helped me get ready. I went out and walked to school, but it still wasn't the same. I went inside the classroom and sat anywhere..

"Paris girl, are you awake?" Key waved his hand in front of my face, but I wasn't in the mood to argue with him. I just closed my eyes and held back my tears.

The hours went by really slowly, and I can see Key glancing in my direction. He wore a worried face.. oh as if he'd be worried. Finally, the bell rang. Oh, minus the 'finally'. I'd be bullied again, right? I headed towards the cafeteria, but Key's friends got in my way and cornered me.

"Hey, _____. Looks like you aren't in the mood today, huh?" One of them said.

"Get out of my way." I replied coldly. I tried to get out, but it was no use.

"Then, we can't let you pass, lady." Another said as he pushed me down, making me fall down. There were four of them, and Key's not around. I held back my tears, but then they started touching me.. Running their fingers through my hair, caressing my cheeks, and one of them sat down and leaned in to kiss me, but I looked away.

"This brat-" Then he slapped me. This time, tears rolling down my cheeks, and I cried harder.. and harder.. It's too painful.. my grandma.. then being bullied..

"Go on, cry harder. If Kibum will be here, he'd be happy seeing you cry.." He said. Kibum.. you said you won't let me get hurt.. but where are you..? I'm hurting, Key.. I'm hurting-

Suddenly, long, slender arms wrapped around me.. For that moment, I felt.. safe. I felt protected. My eyes flapped open, and I saw the shaved, blonde part of his brown hair that I've been looking for all this time.. Kim Kibum. I felt my heart flutter, seeing him with me, feeling his warm embrace that I just needed.

"Who told you to hurt her like this? Who told you to make her cry?!?" His voice was fierce as he yelled at the others. They backed out and ran away. Then he rested his head on my shoulder and comforted me.

"Shh, don't cry.." His voice suddenly became soft. "I'm sorry, _____. I'm so sorry.. I said I won't let you get hurt.. I'm really sorry.." He buried his face on my shoulder.

"You're a jerk, Key. You're a bastard, you're a freak, you're a bully, you're hateful, you make me real mad, you're making me hate you more every single day.." Then I happily sighed. "..but you make me complete. I can't imagine a single day without you, Kibum." I felt my heart smile, and it made me smile, too. All the heartaches inside me vanished, now that Key's around.

Key let go of his hug, looking down. I lifted his chin up and looked at him in the eyes. "Whether you're going to bully me or not, don't leave me okay?"

He nodded and pulled me into a hug again. "I think I feel better hugging you like this than playing pranks on you, don't you think?"

"I think so too." I agreed as I tightened my hug.

After class, he walked me home, and my mom even took him with us to my grandma's home. And I'm thankful that my mom did that. I needed Key, and as I cried, he just gently wrapped his arms around me and told me everything will be alright. The resentful Key that I used to know is no longer the selfish, evil one, but a gentle and loving Key. With him, I felt safe and protected.


Then we lived happily ever after. Or I guess not. Right now, my long sleeves are stapled on a table beside Key as he did his homework. And uh.. "Why'd you staple me here again, Kibum?"

"So you won't go anywhere without me." He replied as he gently kissed me.

"Arasseo~" I glared at him while smiling. Isn't he sweet? He's so protective and loving, to the point that he'll stick you to a table so you won't get away from him. Yeah, cute.

For me, being Key's girlfriend is something I never ever ever thought I'd be.. Well, nightmares do come every now and then. Mine's just being a protective nightmare and comes everyday.

"Why? Don't you want me here? Okay, I'll go.." Key sadly said as he was about to stand up, and I sat on his lap to stop him.

A sensitive nightmare, too.


끝!