Hideout

Out Of Reach

A high-pitched ‘eek’, followed by some rustling against the scattered remains of dry leaves and twigs on the ground, could be heard in the density of the lush jungle. Judging by the grossed out expressions on the women’s faces after witnessing a congregation of creepy-crawlies, one could easily tell that both of them weren’t quite adapted to their new environment. Threading cautiously on their mud-covered flats which had seen better days, Jung Sooyeon and Hwang Miyoung pondered over how something like this could ever actually happen to them.

“I don’t know which one’s worse: nearly gotten buried in a watery grave or stuck on this God-forsaken island full of bugs and other things I don’t want to know about, with no food and water for us to find!” The blonde angrily whined, forcefully slapping away any bloodsuckers that dared to land upon her pearl-white skin. “I might as well be dead right now…” That last sentence resulted in a hard whack on the back of her head.

“Oww! What was that for!?” She said in annoyance, rubbing the part where her poor skull was hit.

“Jessi, how could you say that!?” Her dark-haired companion was now downright upset at what Jessica had just muttered out in the open. As much as Tiffany really wished that they weren’t in this kind of predicament right now, she still had the undying will to survive left intact in her. Dying here was the last thing that she wanted to do. “We can’t just give up like this! We might still find a way outta here if we don’t lose hope. And besides, we haven’t even found the others yet…”

Jessica abruptly stopped what she had been doing to look back at her fellow American buddy who was currently not her usual eye-smiling self. The look on Tiffany’s face was enough to make her heart sink. She knew how sensitive Tiffany was when it comes to anything that could possibly make her to never see her loved ones ever again. “...How can you be so sure about that?”

“About what?” Tiffany frowned.

“…You know what I’m talking about, Fany.”

A few seconds of tense silence before the dark-haired girl spoke again.

“Are you indirectly telling me that all those years we’ve spent together with them were for nothing, Jessica?” Tiffany questioned, her voice reaching a tone louder after every single word spoken, “That you can’t even believe that they’re still alive?”

“We were in a freakin’ plane crash, for crying out loud!” The blonde exploded in a flurry of emotions, fresh tears were beginning to spill out from her swollen eyes; a habit that she could not seem to overcome every time her anger got the better of her. “We barely made it out of there without having to face death right in the eye. How could ANYONE survive something like that, huh!?”

That was the wrong thing to say.

Miyoung could not take it any longer.

Jessica knew what was going to happen next as the dark-haired girl strode angrily towards her, fists clenched tight and a glare that could pierce through anyone’s soul. Jessica immediately closed her eyes and braced for the tight slap or maybe even a punch going her way.

However, a shrill scream from out of nowhere made both of the girls to flinch and whip their heads at the direction of the unexpected sound. It sounded familiar.

“Wasn’t that…Juhyun?” Tiffany lowered down her right hand, temporarily forgotten about the anger she had towards the blonde.

Another scream, followed by a cry for help, answered the question for her. It did not take long before both of the Americans broke into a dash towards the unmistakable distress calls of the group’s maknae despite their fatigue. Pushing their way through the bushes and branches obstructing their path, the cries for help became more and more audible as they approached closer to it.

And as expected, there she was. On the ground…with some unwanted company edging dangerously towards her.

Tiffany was the first to take action; running towards the fearful Seohyun and crouching down while wrapping her arms around her, acting as a human barrier against the two wild boars grunting at the appearance of the newcomer. Anyone or anything that dared to inflict any kind of harm to Seohyun had to go through Tiffany first, whether they liked it or not.

Nobody messes around with her baby maknae.

“It’s alright, Juhyun,” Tiffany whispered softly into her ear, trying to comfort the trembling girl, “We’re here for you.” She inspected her member’s body; feeling relieved to see that there weren’t any serious injuries on Seohyun other than some cuts here and there. But now, there were more important things to take care of.

A sudden squeal was heard, making the two girls to look back. The Ice Princess was doing the most heroic thing she had ever done in her entire life.

“YAH, GET OUTTA HERE YOU OVERSIZED PIECES OF PORK CHOP!” Jessica yelled out at the large boars, hurling multiple numbers of stones she picked up mercilessly at them. “C’MON, GET LOST!” Witnessing this grand feat by Jessica the scaredy-cat of all people was something so rare that even Seohyun and Tiffany couldn’t believe their eyes. But even though their defender was harbouring the most pissed off face that ever existed and an endless amount of rocks in hand, it was still not enough to make the two ferocious beasts to flee in terror. In fact, it made them even more hostile and aggressive. Taking a step back, Jessica whimpered when the boars weren’t fazed by her ‘intimidating’ actions.

‘This isn’t going too well…’

Letting out a raging grunt, one of the boars decided to take matters into its own paws.

“JESSI, WATCH OUT!”
“UNNIE!”


The blonde, overwhelmed by the animal’s unexpected action, dropped down onto the ground and shielded herself from the oncoming attack. She braced for the pain that she was going to get.

It never happened.

*Whack*

The boar squealed in great pain when an object made impact on the tip of its horned nostrils as it was about to charge towards the helpless girl, sending it flying back to where its accomplice was. Two tall figures emerged from the bushes, one wielding a stick and the other one holding something huge and bright yellow.

“Pick on someone your own species next time, pig!” One of them taunted, making the boar which charged at Jessica to run off. “Well? What are you waiting for? Shoo!” The other boar in turn followed too, afraid that it’ll get the same beating. Jessica, Tiffany, and Seohyun looked up at their rescuers once the danger had subsided to see two very familiar faces. “You’re right, Yoong. This stick really is useful!”

“I told you so, unnie!” Turning around, the doe-eyed girl faced the damsels in distress, “Is everyone alright?”

Making their way towards them, the two shikshins went over to help them off the ground; Sooyoung offering a hand to Jessica while Yoona checked up on Tiffany and Seohyun. The blonde was at a loss for words as she stared up at the offered hand and back up at Sooyoung’s face.

“What’s wrong, Sica?” Sooyoung confusingly asked, “You look like you’ve just seen a ghost.”

‘I can’t believe that I just doubted that they weren’t here anymore…’

Rubbing away her teary eyes, Jessica let herself be pulled up by the short-haired brunette, and not forgetting to hug her in the process.

“I thought that you were…y-you know…” She didn’t dare say out the other word, afraid that it would too offend her beloved friend. Instead, Jessica opted to sob on the girl’s shoulder.

“It’s alright, Jessica…” Sooyoung lovingly her smooth golden tresses, “I’m still here and I’m not going anywhere.”

Meanwhile, the other shikshin temporarily placed the bunch of bananas both of them found aside so that she could help the other two.

“Seohyun, can you stand up?” Tiffany asked, pulling up the said girl with the help of Yoona.

“Y-yes, I’m alright unnie,” Seohyun reassured her seniors, but a slight twinge on her expression says otherwise, “Ugh…”

“Hey, what’s wrong?” Yoona steadied the maknae from having a hard tumble on the ground after noticing that change, “Are you hurt anywhere?”

Using her two members as pillars of support, Seohyun tried to walk but a sharp pain surged through her right ankle, causing her to release a scream of agony which alarmed the others in the vicinity. Sooyoung and Jessica let go of each other the moment they saw the youngest in distress, warning bells clanging in their minds

“I think I twisted my ankle while I was trying to escape from those boars…Unnie, what are you doing!?”

Seohyun’s eyes almost bulged out when she felt herself being lifted off the ground, and onto the doe-eyed girl’s back.

“Piggybacking you, of course.” The abnormally-strong girl nonchalantly said, shifting Seohyun comfortably on her back and supporting her with her toned arms, ignoring the maknae’s disagreements and demands to be put back down.

“But-“

“Now, now, Juhyun,” Tiffany quickly cut off her never-ending complaints while gently patting Seohyun on the crown of her head, “Don’t be stubborn at a time like this. You’re clearly not in a perfect condition to walk, so let us help you.”

“Yeah, you should just enjoy the ride while you’re at it!” Sooyoung jokingly said while crouching down to remove the latter’s pair of sneakers and socks.

Maknae wanted to open again, but opted to just shut up and nod her head timidly after witnessing the Ice Princess’s trademark glare aimed right at her. It sent chills down her spine. Having a sprained ankle was much, MUCH better than having to face the all-mighty wrath of the notorious Ice Princess. But that was just Jessica’s special way of showing how much she cared for her adorable, little maknae that she loved dearly.

Once the giant had successfully done her job, she carried Seohyun’s shoes with her and the whole bunch of bananas on her shoulder. “So, what do we do now?”

“I think it’s best if we can find someplace where we can spend the night….” The one and only Manager Hwang announced to everyone, continuing the trek through the wilderness while the others followed in turn. For someone who had a tremendous phobia of bugs and spent most of her childhood in an urban metropolis, Tiffany seemed more courageous than before in this hostile environment. Maybe the fact that a few of her most precious friends were still alive energised her way more than she could ever imagined. And now, if only they could find the rest…She would be over the moon.

“What if there isn’t?” Jessica’s distinct voice called out from the back.

“Then we might as well build one like the ones on those survival shows, right?” Tiffany answered bluntly without turning around to look at her. Even though she was greatly touched at the blonde’s heroic deed moments ago, Jessica’s pessimistic way of thinking was really grating on her last nerves. And it somewhat dampened her mood for a bit. This was the very first time that Tiffany had ever felt like slapping the living daylights off of her best friend.

“Unnie, do you hear something?”

Seohyun’s voice broke her from her reverie. Everyone stopped dead in their tracks to listen to their surroundings.

Water.

Running water, to be exact.

“That sounds like a waterfall...” The ever attentive maknae pointed out.

“Let’s check it out then!” Yoona, as the reckless deer that she was, sprinted ahead towards the supposed water source with Seohyun screaming and clinging onto her back for dear life.

“Hey, wait for me!” The giant as well did not give much thought about following her juniors, leaving the two Americans behind.

“GIRLS, STOP!” A worried Tiffany ordered with the loudest voice she could actually possess in her, but even that fell short on deaf ears as she tried to chase after them, “WE NEED TO STICK TOGETHER!”

“You know, we really need to do something about that voice of yours.”

Turning her head to the right to see Jessica keeping up with her, she couldn’t help but to smile at the blonde who was trying to get rid of the ringing in her ears after hearing that high decibel order.

“Sorry ‘bout that,” Her eyes turned into crescents as she gave a half-hearted apology, topping it all off with a raspberry to boot, “I would’ve thought that you had gotten used to it by now.”

“I haven’t.”

“Too bad, ‘cause I’m gonna be using it a WHOLE lot more from now on!” And with that, Tiffany ran a good distance ahead of her, leaving the exhausted blonde in the dust.

“Oh c’mon, don’t leave me here like this!” Jessica’s plea was blatantly ignored. Totally exhausted and all sense of dignity left in her gone, she dramatically dropped onto her knees. “Okay, I’m sorry! I’m sorry for being such a complete wuss that time!! And I’m really, REALLY sorry for making you upset!! Now can you PLEASE forgive me and come back here!?” Her breathless and sudden heart-spoken apology made Tiffany to return back to where the blonde was desperately pleading. That one of a kind eye-smile steadily creeping up over her beautiful complexion.

“You’re forgiven, Jessi. I can’t be mad at you forever, even if I tried.” Grabbing her hand firmly and helping her off the ground, Tiffany did not waste any more time pulling Jessica along with her to run after their members. The blonde however didn’t have enough time to regain some much-needed oxygen; looking more like she was literally being dragged off like a rag doll by the bubbly girl.

“Yah, you were SO waiting for me to say that didn’t you?!” And can’t you slow down a little for me to catch my breath!?”

“Seriously Jessi, you complain way too much…”

By the time both of them managed to catch up with their energetic juniors (excluding Seohyun), they all found themselves staring in awe as they came upon a lake with a massive waterfall roaring down on it. Endless streams of water flowed down the majestic wonder of nature; its crystal-clear water perfectly reflecting the rays of light seeping through from the exposed opening of the canopies up above, and creating sparkles all around the surface of the lake. Colourful butterflies and other winged-insects flutter about around the flora and fauna which surrounded the whole body of water. This part of the island that they were stranded on felt more like a holiday getaway or some tropical paradise hidden deep in the uncharted corners of the Earth. For a second, they did not seem to mind being stuck here for a long period of time.

“Amazing…” Seohyun was easily entranced by the beauty of it all, absorbing the sights and sounds from above Yoona’s head. ‘Alligator Yoong’ truly lived up to its name as the girl openly gawked at the spectacle.

“Yeah, I know...” Sooyoung, who almost always had something noteworthy to say, only mumbled those few words out.

Tiffany, on the other hand, caught a glance of her blonde companion taking a few steps towards the majestic lake. She blinked as Jessica crouched down near the edge and scooping up some of the water with her bare hands.

“What are you doing? I know you’re thirsty, but are you sure it’s clean enough for us to drink?” The ever so cautious self-titled manager of the group questioned Jessica, not wanting her member to have an upset stomach, or maybe even worse, if she drank it all up.

“It looks clean,” Jessica decided to go along with her gut instincts and have a little sip, “and it sure does taste clean, as a matter of fact.”

“Really!? Let me have a taste of that too!”

Dropping the entire ‘luggage’ that she was carrying carelessly onto the ground, Sooyoung hastily rushed to Jessica’s side and mimicked what the blonde did just now. After gulping down a mouthful of the liquid, Sooyoung looked up into the skies above and had one proclamation to announce.

“I have discovered the nectar of the Gods.”

Tiffany fought the urge to face-palm at the giant’s choice of words; while Jessica blatantly ignored it by continuing to drink out of the lake, unfazed. Reassured that there weren’t any signs of danger by drinking it, Tiffany joined in to quench her undying thirst. It had been a long while since she had anything to drink. Yoona broke out from her daze and decided to join them too, but the eagle-eyed maknae spotted something in her range of sight.

“Yoona unnie, what’s that over there?” She pointed towards the waterfall.

Yoona followed to where Seohyun was pointing but had no clue of what she was looking at, other than the obvious thing right in front of her.

“Huh?” The deer quirked her eyebrows,” What are you talking about, Hyun? It’s just the waterfall.”

“Yes, but there’s something behind it…Take a closer look.” Shaking her childhood friend excitedly on the shoulders in anticipation, Seohyun’s curiosity and cute way of persuading eventually made the hesitant Yoona to go along with her plan and carry her nearer to the crashing waters. Surprisingly, there really was something hidden discreetly behind the streams of water.

A cave.

And it was quite a large one too, judging by the gaping hole that seemed to be trying to lure in the two girls with its mysterious vibe. It was so perfectly camouflaged that one needed to literally be standing inches in front, or enter the wall of water in order to see it. How in the world Seohyun managed to notice that from a good distance away, was something that Yoona could never figure out nor understand. She sometimes has this occasional nudging in the back of her mind that Seohyun had supernatural powers reigning inside of her.

“Kids, what are the two of you doing over there?” Both of them flinched when their ever concerned Tiffany unnie called, feeling as if they had just been caught doing something that they shouldn’t have. Turning around, Yoona and Seohyun came face-to-face with their older sisters whom had caught up with them.

“Oh, well I think we’ve discovered something unnie,” Yoona nodded over at their discovery, “I think we just found ourselves a place where we can take shelter in.”

Hearing that, the three older girls suspiciously went over to the waterfall while the two maknaes watched in anticipation behind them. Having one last look at each other, they mentally agreed to go through the wall of water. After being slightly drenched and trying to shake off the excess water from their hair, they were welcomed by the empty and gloomy cave before them. It was relatively big enough for a group of people to confide in and that it doesn’t seem to hold any other unwanted occupants, much to the girls’ relieve. Trying to fend off a couple of wild pigs was bad enough, and they weren’t willing to go head on with something much bigger and stronger than that with just a mere stick as a weapon. Another observation regarding the cave was that, even though it was not completely dark; thanks to the small amount of light seeping through the entrance, it would be a matter of time before the Sun sets and the cave would be engulfed in black.

“So,” The giant abruptly broke the silence, “Does anybody know how to build a campfire?”

The two Americans darted their eyes back and forth at each other.

“I have no idea…” Both of them spoke, now suddenly realising how clueless they were when it came to the wilderness.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

As the day was slowly approaching into twilight, the four young girls trekked through the dimly-lit jungle with the brave Sunny leading the way, warily looking out for any signs of danger ready to lash out at them. It did not feel as scary as before now that they were bigger in number, but that didn’t mean that they should let down their guard. Who knows what could be lurking around here. They had been walking around for quite some time and not a single thing to eat, drink, or take shelter in sight. A slight pounding on the side of Hyoyeon’s head was making things a lot more difficult for the dancing queen than necessary throughout this whole time. She tried her best to ignore the stubborn pain, but it became too much for her to handle in this kind of state she was in. And eventually, her legs were the first to give in.

“Hyoyeon!” The black pearl quickly rushed to the injured girl’s aid after witnessing her suddenly collapsing onto the forest floor. ‘You okay, buddy?” Sunny and Taeyeon too did the same, carefully trying to bring up their member into a sitting position.

“I knew this would happen,” Sunny forlornly muttered under her breath as she cradled Hyoyeon’s head gently on the crook of her neck. The bunny could feel her companion’s heavy panting tickling her skin. This was really bad. If they don’t find water and somewhere to rest in soon, who knows what would happen to their beloved dancing queen, “Hyo, which part of you is hurting the most right now?”

Hyoyeon let out a slight chuckle even in her bad shape. “Well, my brain feels like it’s gonna burst out from my skull any time soon.” She managed to murmur out.

“Are you having a fever?” Yuri worriedly asked, placing the back of her hand on the dancer’s forehead to check her temperature, “You’re slightly warm right now…”

“No, I’m just having a headache that’s all.”

“Stop lying to us, Hyoyeon!” Sunny exploded.

“I’m telling you, I’m fine!”

“THAT’S ENOUGH, YOU TWO!”

The two quarrelling girls, including Yuri, froze when they heard their leader’s command. It was VERY rare of Taeyeon to get angry and shout at the others or anyone in particular due to her calm character. If ever she were to be upset at her members’ behaviour, she would instead use the ‘silent method’ to show her true feelings or voice out her opinions to the offender in private. However, in this kind of situation that they were in, her patience had taken its toll. Taeyeon took a deep breath to cool herself down; very aware of the tense atmosphere and the wary glances she was getting.

She hated doing this.

The last thing she wanted was her members to be afraid of her. But as the leader of the group, it was also one of her duties to maintain stability and keeping the peace among her dear members. Certain things just had to be done even though she wasn’t willing to do so.

“Look,” She began in a firm voice, “I know we’re all tired and not really in our best conditions right now, but arguing over something like this isn’t going to do us any good. Hyoyeon, I know you don’t want us to worry about you. I understand, but please…Please tell us if you’re not feeling so good so that we know and we will help you out. What are friends for, right? We’re in a life-or-death situation right now, and…I don’t want to lose any of you.” Taeyeon made sure to look deeply in everyone’s eyes as she spoke that last sentence before getting up again. “Hyoyeon, are you sure that you’re fine?”

“Fine enough for me to hear you loud and clear, captain.”

“Then that means you’re not fine enough to walk on your own. Sunny, Yuri, help our Kim Choding up.”

Both of them immediately did as they were told, being at each of Hyoyeon’s sides, and slinging her arms over their neck and holding her by the waist for added support. With a bit of effort, the dancing queen managed to get back on her feet and started moving with the help of her members with no complaints.

“Taeyeon, you still want to continue looking for a place to rest?” Yuri questioned the kid leader who was now leading the way forward, while helping the injured girl to walk at a steady pace with Sunny.

“We NEED to before it gets too dark,” The leader answered her query, but something along the way made her stop in her tracks, “but I think we’re in luck!”

“What? Did you find a…Oh wait…” The bunny’s ears picked up on what Taeyeon was so hyped up about.

Water, at last.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

“Glad that we have Seohyun the wilderness expert with us,” Sooyoung praised the young girl, while ravenously munching away on a banana, “Without your instructions, I don’t think we could figure out how to get a fire going without screwing it all up.”

“No, no, I’m not an expert on it really,” The modest maknae waved off the compliment, “I just happened to remember all the steps after reading about it in book quite a while back.”

“I guess waking up every morning at 7am to read a book really did pay off after all!” The other shikshin sitting beside Seohyun exclaimed, making everyone giggle to lighten up the mood.

With their already built campfire brightly illuminating the interior of the cave, the other half of the separated group sat in a circle around the fire and slowly ate their only source of food; sharing a moment of comfortable silence after their laughter died down, with only the never-ending roar of the waterfall crashing down at the entrance of the cave filling up the void. A sombre air took over as they watched the flickers of light on the fire before them, hundreds of thoughts endlessly flooding through their minds. Seohyun sometimes wished that her members would be a little quieter, but this was all too out of character of them. She couldn’t blame the way that they were feeling though.

Too many unbelievable things had already occurred in the span of one day.

“I wonder where the others are right now…”

Everyone looked up at Tiffany, who had brought in her knees to her chest and placed her head on it; her typical eye-smile not on her beautiful complexion.

‘Yes…Where are they?’ Seohyun thought, looking back at the fire dejectedly. She too did not know the answer to that, and had no choice but to make assumptions about it. Mostly negative assumptions… She did not want to think that way when it comes to the sisters that she loved. Never. But now…what else could she think about? Sudden flashbacks from the plane came to haunt her mind, sending shivers down her spine. What if she hadn’t been awake and went to sleep like the rest? What if she never looked out that window? Would she even be here right now? All of these questions disturbed and jabbed at her inner being, attempting to crush her at her weakest.

A sudden movement from the corner of her eyes, however, eventually brought Seohyun back to reality.

“Where do you think you’re going, Sooyoung?” Jessica eyed the towering girl who had just stood up after finishing off her fruit.

“I’m just gonna get some fresh air.” She simply said before making her way outside, leaving her members puzzled at her action.

“Uh, wait Soo! I’ll come with you!” Tiffany did not hesitate to waste any more time, quickly getting up from her position and accompanied her fellow member.

Yoona, Jessica, and Seohyun watched wordlessly at their exit.

“Gosh, that girl…” The blonde released a heavy sigh, while moving over to the other side of the campfire where the other two occupants were, “Once you disappear from her line of sight, she’ll come looking and chasing after you like an abandoned puppy.” Jessica sat at the giant’s seat and rested her aching head on Yoona’s right shoulder, while Seohyun too did the same on Yoona’s left.

“You know, that reminds me of the time when we accidentally left Fany unnie back at the dorm and she came running after us while we’re all already in the van. How the heck did we totally forget about her in the first place?” Leaning her head against the rough walls of the cave, Yoona reminisced about the memories they had when all of them were still their young and carefree selves. Her thin hands magnetically intertwining with the delicate hands of the two girls beside her and not showing any signs of letting them go.

“It’s not that we forgot about her! We were late for one of our schedules and because everyone was so caught up with rushing, we didn’t realise that we left Tiffany unnie behind.”

Jessica and Yoona let out a slight chuckle at the maknae’s explanation.

“I still remember how much of a cry-baby she was in the past,” Jessica continued,” but then look at her now. She didn’t even shed a single tear ever since we got stuck on this place.” The blonde furrowed her brows as she said that. “Speaking of getting stuck here, what are we gonna do now?”

Both of the maknaes looked at her.

“We have to survive, unnie. That’s what.” Seohyun simply said, determinedly.

“And get the hell out of this place.” Yoona added.

Sometimes, Jessica wished that she was equally as strong as these two young girls before her.

Maknaes really were the bosses, after all.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~

 

 


“Sooyoung, wait up!”

The short-haired brunette slowed down her pace as she went further away from their hideout when Tiffany called out for her. A tight grip on her shoulder made Sooyoung stop and turn around to face her member, an indifferent expression plastered on the giant’s face. “Yah, Fany, its okay. I just want to go for a walk, that’s all. The cave was a little hot in there so I’d figured I should go outside for a while.”

“If you wanna take a walk, at least have someone to keep you company. We’re not really in the streets of Seoul as you can see for yourself.”

“Alright, fine.” Sooyoung reluctantly grabbed her friend’s hand, “Come with me.”

Tiffany’s lips curved into a slight smile when she heard that reply. She willingly let Sooyoung drag her along the edge of the huge lake, going nowhere in particular as they swung their arms while holding each other’s hand. The boastful giant was unusually silent throughout the whole stroll. Tiffany noticed that she wasn’t really paying attention to her surroundings, her brown orbs blankly staring at the grass-covered floor.

“Sooyoung…” Tiffany stopped while holding back her melancholic friend from going any further, “We’ll definitely find them, okay? They couldn’t have gone far. I mean, we’ve already found about half of our members here right? So that means we’ll be able to find the others in no ti-“The consoling girl’s words of reassurance came to a halt and her heart skipped a beat at what she saw in the distance. Or more specifically, at whom she just saw. Pupils dilating, she hoped that she wasn’t hallucinating.

“Fany?” Sooyoung quirked her eyebrows at the girl, “Hey, what are you looking a-“The moment she turned around, she finally knew what made her so speechless.

A short and petite female had just emerged from the lush bushes which covered the banks of the lake. That person had golden yellows hues dyed on the tips of her short hair. She was now brushing off bits of leaves and twigs tangled on her head in irritation. A few seconds later, three other figures magically appeared, though a lot more sluggish than the first one. Two of them were supporting a girl, who looked like she was in dire need of medical aid. All of them did not notice the motionless Sooyoung and Tiffany as they were a good distance away from the duo, but it wasn’t long before the one with the blonde tips turned around in their direction and locked eyes with them; a similar expression on her baby-like face. The other three girls copied too, whipping their heads at what she was looking at. It felt like time had stood still at that very moment.

Tiffany was the one to make the first move. One step, then another, and another before she broke into a mad dash towards the quartet that she knew so well. She wasn’t hallucinating after all.

She tackle-hugged the girl with the blonde tips first, wrapping her bruised arms around the girl’s neck with all her might. “Taetae…You’re alive.” Beads of tears were starting to spill from the corner of her eyes as she sobbed on the shoulder of her best friend. Her one and only special best friend.

Taeyeon, on the other hand, stayed strong when she returned the hug, although a thousand of emotions were building up inside of her. “Yeah…I’m still alive.” She whispered in a low tone.

Both of them let go of each other once they’ve had their moment, now moving over to where Sooyoung was worriedly checking up on the injured dancing queen.

“Hyoyeon, what happened to you!?”

Hyoyeon gave a hazy grin as she looked at the giant.

“Would you believe me if I told you that I survived a plane crash?”

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~