Don't Leave Me

Out Of Reach

Endless waves crashed upon the shoreline, engulfing anything miniscule beneath the sands into the depths of the ocean, before receding back and repeating the pattern again and again. Whatever the waves in, it also spitted out in return. Instead of the usual trash and junk that inconsiderate people had thrown into the sea, the beach welcomed some huge chunks of metal…and a human body instead.

It was of a girl. She lay motionlessly face down on the soft, yellow sand; her wet locks of hair rustled along by the soft breeze that came in. Eventually, the girl made a slight movement, as if the cool air managed to awaken her from her state of unconsciousness. She turned around onto her back, groaning in pain when she did that. She had never felt so worn out before. Opening her eyes, and then squinting them when the Sun’s rays were beating down on her, Hyoyeon slowly turned her head left and right to scan her surroundings once her eyes adjusted to the brightness of the world upon her.

‘Where am I?’

She tried to recall. And then, it struck her.

Maknae’s panicked voice, the pilot’s warning through the intercom, the plane… It crashed.

Hyoyeon immediately bolted up, but regretted doing that when a sharp pain surged through her head. Grabbing her forehead and rubbing it to make the pain subside, she felt some anomalies and something wet on it. Cuts and bruises. Blood. Hyoyeon looked at her own body. The clothes, consisting of a t-shirt and a pair of three-quarters denim shorts, she was wearing were still intact with a number of rips here and there, and they were as damp as ever. Her arms were covered with more injuries, with a bit of dried blood smeared on her skin. Her legs too weren’t spared from any flaws either. It was a miracle that Hyoyeon could move right now, albeit more slowly than normal and that the injuries were not equal to the fatality of that accident.

Hyoyeon shuddered at the memory. Although she could not remember any clearer about what happened, she knew that it was…beyond scary. She could have died, but she didn’t. She’s still here, very much alive and breathing. She doesn’t know where in the world here is, but there’s something more important to worry about.

Where are the others?

‘Are they… dead?’

She shook away that dreadful thought.

‘No! They may still be alive, and would’ve been washed up ashore here. I gotta be positive about this!’

Checking to see if there weren’t any more untended bleeding on her body, the dancing queen carefully stood up on her legs once she was done. Behind her, there were a lush of greeneries and plants inland but Hyoyeon opted to stick with the shoreline to search for her other members.

Her dear, beloved members.

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

Hyoyeon didn’t know for how long she treaded on that sandy beach.

She was exhausted.

She needed something to eat.

She needed to drink clean, fresh water.

She needed a first-aid kit.

And, most of all, she needed her members. Her second family…

But she pushed herself even further, having that small glint of hope that they are still alive to persevere through.

And her efforts finally paid off.

Something near the shore caught Hyoyeon’s eyes.

The small and petite figure was lying outstretched on the ground, with no sign of movement at all.

Hyoyeon knew that figure anywhere.

“SUNNY!”

Suddenly energised by the discovery of one of her girls, the dancing queen rushed to her distressed friend’s aid.

“Sunny,” she called out while vigorously shaking her shoulders, “wake up!”

No answer.

Panicking, Hyoyeon thought of the worst, but she needed to make sure. Pressing one of her ears on Sunny’s chest, she was relieved to hear a faint beating of her heart. But if she doesn’t do something soon, there won’t be a beating heart.

‘I can’t even feel her breathing! Did the seawater get into her lungs? Do I need to perform CPR?!’

Desperate times calls for desperate measures.

Making up her mind, Hyoyeon grabbed her friend’s chin in place, and proceeded to do the latter. Pressing her lips onto Sunny’s soft ones, she gave some much needed air into the bunny’s flooded respiratory system. Hyoyeon then went on to place her hands on Sunny’s torso to pump out the water that was in her lungs.

‘C’mon, work!’

Even after eleven times, the girl still showed no signs of moving. Hyoyeon now feared for the worst.

‘Am I…too late?’

Nope, she was not.

When all hope was lost, the girl had been revived.

The bunny let out a flurry of coughs to get rid of all the liquid that entered her lungs, much to Hyoyeon’s utter relieve.

Bringing her member up to a sitting position, she enveloped Sunny in a tight hug while rubbing her back to soothe the girl’s pain from coughing so much.

“I thought I lost you there for a second.” Hyoyeon said, trying to choke a sob but to no avail. Her emotions got the better of her.

“Well, I can’t just leave you here alone like this, right?” Sunny whispered into her ears, returning the hug.

And besides, she’s deeply indebted to the one and only Kim Choding now for saving her life. Who would’ve thought of that?

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~
 
“We need to tend to your injuries, Hyo.” A concerned Sunny eyed the terrible state the dancer was in, who was clutching her battered-up arms as they continued with their search for the other girls along the shore. “You don’t look too good.”

“Nah, I’m fine, don’t worry about me.”

Sunny frowned when her friend declined the offer to help when she obviously needs it. Sometimes, she just wished that Hyoyeon would open up more when it comes to her emotions and pain, instead of bottling it all up inside. Sunny was absolutely grateful that Hyoyeon managed to save her in time. Truly grateful. If she was not there, who knows what would happen to her. In return, she wanted to be there for her saviour in her time of need, but right now, Hyoyeon was being too difficult.

“No, we’re NOT going any further until we get you patched up.” The midget sternly ordered and grabbed the younger one’s arm to stop her in her tracks.

An agonising hiss came out from Hyoyeon’s lips when she felt Sunny’s hand having a tight grip on her arm. She was not going to let go anytime soon.

“See? It does hurt, doesn’t it?”

A few seconds passed before she finally answered her question.

“Alright,” Hyoyeon sighed, “I admit it, I am hurt. But what the heck are we gonna do about it if we don’t have any medical supplies right now!?” She turned to face Sunny in the eye. Sunny has never seen Hyoyeon this upset before in her whole life. In fact, this was the first time she’d seen the hyper dancer so…afraid. Eyes truly were the windows to anyone’s soul, as they said. Hyoyeon’s eyes were quivering as she stared into Sunny’s calm ones. Another gentle breeze appeared out of nowhere, blowing the two girls’ damp and dishevelled locks of hair around as they stood on that quiet beach. “And our members, Sunny…Our friends…We both don’t know where they are…But I’m 100% sure that they’re here on this island somewhere, lost, disoriented, or in distress just like how I found you just now. That’s why we need to look for them as fast as we can. I refuse to believe that they’re dead.”

“I know, Hyo.” The energizer responded calmly, “We need to find them. But please, don’t strain yourself like this. Both of us aren’t in good shape right now, and the last thing I wanna see is you coughing up blood or collapsing on the ground while we’re searching for them.” Her small hand trailed down from Hyoyeon’s arm and held the palm of her hand, which fitted perfectly into hers like a jigsaw piece. “And another thing we need to find is shelter before it gets dark. If worse comes to worst, then we need to make our own one. Food and water too, most importantly.”

“Yeah, I haven’t had a bite to eat since we left Thailand.”

“You should be more worried about the two shikshins though…” Sunny gave a bittersweet smile.

“Sooyoung and Yoona, huh?” The dancer’s face darkened when she mentioned them. “I hope they’re okay…”

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.