Part 1

Joker

It was night time, the night time Gi Kwang’s mother always told him to avoid. Everything was obscure: all he could see were blurred outlines of what was in front of him, but still he carried on: his heart beating fast, his lungs burning from lack of oxygen, his legs hurting from bumping them in various objects and he wondered why were they not numb by now from all the running. As he hit another unknown object he heard the yells again, shouting about his whereabouts. He barely saw in front of him and he wondered how others can see everything and not bump into various objects and hunt him so precisely. This was not fair; people were not fair and life was not fair. Why is he the bad guy when he was attacked and only defended himself? Why was he attacked in the first place when all he did was crouch down to tie his shoe?

Gi Kwang fell. He fell and every part on his body hurt or ached or burned or stung, the last one probably from his injuries getting dirty. He tried getting up, but his arms failed him, dropping his body on the ground again. The boy clenched his teeth and fists feeling the warm liquid falling from his eyes. He hated this, he hated running, he hated being hunted, he hated how people reacted, he hated that he couldn’t use them, because then they will see him and their hunt will get easier; not that there was a point in using them now when he couldn’t even stand up.

All of a sudden someone grabbed his shoulder, pulling him to his feet and filling Gi Kwang’s body with emotions. The boy was scared, anxious, hateful that the person caught him, glad that he was finally on his feet, but most of all, he wanted to get free so with all the strength remaining he pushed the person away, though as soon as the arm was away from his body Gi Kwang stumbled and fell again on the cold floor. He heard the person sigh and he pulled the boy again to his feet, this time making Gi Kwang face him.

“I will help you. Stay calm.” Truthfully he didn’t quite register the words, because his eyes were fixed on the ones of the person in front of him: they were the only thing the boy could see, because they were so bright it was frightening, but he, despite not hearing the exact words, felt this person won’t hurt him so he nodded and let himself be dragged away. The person led Gi Kwang quite swiftly along the narrow street – left, right, up some stairs, over something, down some more stairs. And then Gi Kwang fell again, stumbling over his own feet and that’s the last he remembers of his escape.

 

When he opened his eyes again he saw all his little fairies around him, flying above his head, one was seated on his chest and blinking rapidly at him. When he sat up she flew and gave him a wide smile before coming closer and kissing his nose happily.

“Can you make their light more… dim?” came a calm and mellow voice and Gi Kwang looked around seeing a person leaning on the wall in one of the corners in the room. He blinked and nodded looking again at the fairies and nodding at them with a smile on his face. Their light got dimmer and then he looked again at the person and tilted his head to the left, screwing his eyes to get a better view at the person. “Did it get dimmer?” the person asked again and only then did Gi Kwang saw that his eyes were closed.

“Oh, yes, it did.” He spoke still not moving from his place and staring at the person. The figure sighed and opened his eyes, revealing the same bright and silver eyes that took Gi Kwang’s breath away previously.

“My tattoo is weird, isn’t it?” the person asked, pushing himself away from the wall and taking slow steps towards the sitting boy. It was then when Gi Kwang actually took a notice of the huge kanji on the person’s left cheek, right below his silver eye, and his eyes widened without him wanting this, his jaw slightly dropping and parting his lips. The figure stopped a few steps away from Gi Kwang, crossing his arms and arching a brow at the sitting boy. “What were you staring at?” he asked, tone amused and playful.

“Your eyes.” The boy simply answered, shifting his gaze to his lap and playing with his fingers. He heard something shifting and he looked again to the man in front of him, finding him sitting in a wooden chair backwards, his hands crossed and leaning on the back and his head rested on them. The man smirked at him, raising his eyebrows as if finding it amusing that the first thing Gi Kwang saw was his eyes and not the tattoo.

“What are you?” asked the man after a long silence wrapped itself around them.

“Human?” answered Gi Kwang in a questioning manner, as if he could be something other than that.

“You’re definitely not one with those light butterflies around you.” The man answered back in a mocking manner screwing his eyes a little.

“They’re fairies.” Gi Kwang corrected the figure pouting and lightly nudging one of the fairies seated on his shoulder.

“Oh… I’m sorry.” Came a whispered voice and Gi Kwang looked again at the figure in front of him. “I can’t really see them well.” He admitted scratching his nose, eyes never leaving Gi Kwang’s. “You were chased because of them, right?”

“Yes.” the seated boy answered, slightly frowning.

“You can stay here.” Stated the figure, getting up and going past the couch on which Gi Kwang was laying. “And they don’t need to hide, as long as they’re not too bright around me. Ok?”

“Why are you helping me?” asked the boy slow, as if trying to figure why by himself while asking.

“We’re similar in some way.” He answered with a smile ghosting on his lips. “Oh, yea – Never pull the curtains too. If you want to take some sunlight there is a backyard.” With that he turned around and headed for the door.

“Wait!” Gi Kwang spoke in a rushed voice before the man can disappear. “I’m Gi Kwang, what’s your name?”

“Just call me Joker.” The figure answered, not turning around, before disappearing in the darkness that spread behind the now opened door.

 

It was obviously not a name. Gi Kwang was not that stupid. As he was not that stupid to run out of the house and go announce his mother that her son is safe and sound and in the home of some unknown man with silver eyes and a huge tattoo on his face whose name he didn’t even know… Thinking again about it he was that stupid to actually stay in the house, but said ‘Joker’ left him alive and he didn’t even come in two feet radius of him, so… He could trust his intuition and stay in the house for the time being. And speaking of the house – it was not actually a house. More like a three floored mansion with gothic feeling to it. The floor was from dark wood and on it laid a bluish carpet from one end to another; the walls were with dark red wall design with some dark grayish patterns to it, with a lot of canvases of woods and fields and waterfalls, a lot of candlestick holders with no candles in them. Thankfully Gi Kwang didn’t need them for light, because he had his little fairies with him. He turned to the fairy sitting on his left shoulder and smiled at her, blowing her hair and making her pout. He knew it was strange they were around him all the time; he also knew it was strange he could control them and make them disappear and the strangest thing was that his vision without them around during dark days was poor. Not to speak about night when he becomes almost blind. Most people adjust to the darkness after awhile and start seeing in it, but not he – all he could see during the night was the outline of a white drawer at most, or something that reflects light. Thinking again about it he looked down on his body trying to find all the wounds he caused upon himself, but found only a few bandages on his left arm and on his legs.

“He can’t be bad if he took care of me, right?” he asked the fairy in front of him and the little thing nodded her head enthusiastically. He smiled and reached to her hair with his finger. “I didn’t thank you for saving me. Thank you.” He whispered and smiled again at all of them before looking around at all the doors in the corridor. The mansion was big and with so many rooms and the Joker didn’t tell him he couldn’t use a room he wants, so he’s free to choose, right? So he entered one of the rooms as quietly as possible, waiting for someone to tell him he’s not invited here, but nothing came, so he entered, closing the door behind him and letting his fairies shine like they usually do. The man did told him, they have to be dimmer around him, but Gi Kwang didn’t want to take chances of actually meeting the guy in the corridor and angering him, so he made them continue being dimmer than usual.

As they danced around happily about being able to shine with all their might Gi Kwang took a better view of the room. It was spacious with a wardrobe; big beg with a veil coming from the ceiling; simple nightstands next to the bed, there was a little table next to the curtains with a Victorian chair next to it and a bookshelf behind the chair. Of course everything was in red and blue and gray, except for the white sheets in which Gi Kwang dived as soon as he saw them.

One of the fairies sat at the pillow, next to the one he was buried in, and smiled at him, they always smiled at him, looking him with curious eyes. He looked at her and his thoughts drifted back to when he was attacked. He was just bended down to tie his shoe when someone pushed him on the cemented floor, taking a knife out and aiming at Gi Kwang. He was so scared he had no idea what to do, even his body refused to move. That’s when the fairies popped from nowhere, making a circle and aiming some strange light ball to his attacker, who flew back. Then they came to him making sure he was all right. He told the fairies he was all right and that they should disappear as fast as possible. As they did he took notice of everyone staring at him with fear and confusion. He lived in a small town, so of course everyone knew him; of course they stared at him with fear and confusion; of course they thought he was a monster. Of course they will start chasing him and hunting him wanting his death… He closed his eyes, trying to perish the thoughts in his head. But now he should take a nap, before figuring what to do.

 

---------------------------
Here is the first update ^^ I will update tomorrow too so please look out for it. As I said in the foreword this thing was supposed to be a one-shot, but the idea of 13,000 words for one shot doesn't seem appealing to me, besides it looked like I cut it in chapters, so here it is now: being born as a mini-chaptered story. I hope the story will live to your expectations.

Also: thank you kwangstar; BelleBae; kiky_nad3; Tinkerbelle89; spikecollar600; Kira_Myu; wonderstruckkx3; kimmylove; junkwang_kiseob; Gohannah4444 and pallalgk for anticipating this fic even before I posted the first chapter ^^

Enjoy Yong Junhyung's awesomeness and share your oppinion with me? ^^